INSAS Indian Small Arms System

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arahan

cant we deploy TAR-21 as standard assault rifle.. licence produce it in large nos...

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
cant we deploy TAR-21 as standard assault rifle.. licence produce it in large nos...
We can but there are opposition within IA that Bullpup are useless..

While Para SF are using it so does other SF and not mention IDF, Brits, French, Austrians and Australians and list goes on..

ALBY

Section Moderator
Country flag
We can but there are opposition within IA that Bullpup are useless..

While Para SF are using it so does other SF and not mention IDF, Brits, French, Austrians and Australians and list goes on..
money still matters...the benefits provided by a bullpup most times are not worth the heavy price tag of the gun.Plus as it is of a complex design chances of problems are higher than conventional ones.Plus the usual problems like barrel tip near to eye makes difficult to concentrate and chances of ejected catridges hitting the face.

pmaitra

Problems with Bull-pups:
  • Complicated hence difficult to maintain.
  • Trigger press not so responsive (not always).
  • Not usually ambidextrous, with few exceptions like Steyr Aug where ejection sides can be switched. In say AK-47, even if the empty case comes out of the right, it is not close to the face and it does not matter if right handed or left handed.
  • Conversions like AK-47 bull-pups will cause the charging handle to break the jaw of the shooter if left handed.
  • Don't know about price, but as ALBY said, probably expensive.

ALBY

Section Moderator
Country flag
Problems with Bull-pups:
  • Not usually ambidextrous, with few exceptions like Steyr Aug where ejection sides can be switched. In say AK-47, even if the empty case comes out of the right, it is not close to the face and it does not matter if right handed or left handed.
  • Conversions like AK-47 bull-pups will cause the charging handle to break the jaw of the shooter if left handed.
  • Don't know about price, but as ALBY said, probably expensive.
The deal for importing 3070 tavors was worth 880million INR.ie to be precise unit price was286644.951 rupees.Where as you could get g36,or sig or HK or ak100 series for less than 1/3 rd of that amount.

pmaitra

The deal for importing 3070 tavors was worth 880million INR.ie to be precise unit price was286644.951 rupees.Where as you could get g36,or sig or HK or ak100 series for less than 1/3 rd of that amount.
Isn't AK-12 available in 5.56 NATO? If yes, why not get a whole bunch of them? I am assuming they will cost just marginally more than the current AK-74 standard. It will also help in logistics, as ammo can be shared between AK-12s and INSAS.

AK-12 also has ambidextrous fire mode selector and I am guessing the same fabled reliability.

lemontree

Originally Posted by sayareakd
In war when you need to reload the rifle, you need to have one hand on the trigger, just in case you need to fire fast. Now if the charging handle is on the right side for most of the soldiers they need to remove their hand from the trigger and then do the same. Since in war every second count this just might save his life. This is only explanation i can think of (subject to correction).

I have picture of Woman BSF soldiers doing the same but it is in other computer.
from theoretical point of view it is correct.but as far i felt charging handle on the right side was easy as the cocking of the sterling carbine (it has handle on the rifght side ) was more easy than that of insas.
It does not matter if the cocking handle is on the right of left. In the army we train you to use your left hand to cock the weapon.
To a civilian it may appear difficult, but repeated training and practice makes it as smooth as butter.

pmaitra

It does not matter if the cocking handle is on the right of left. In the army we train you to use your left hand to cock the weapon.
To a civilian it may appear difficult, but repeated training and practice makes it as smooth as butter.
Let me get your perspective in this, and I understand it can be subjective.

I find it easier to use my left hand and my right shoulder to hold the AK-47 while I pull the charging handle with my right hand. With KRISS Vector, I found it rather cumbersome, where, the charging handle was on the left, and I had to balance the entire weapon with my grip of right hand.

What in your opinion is better?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Problems with Bull-pups:
1. Its not that complicated as it takes the same time to strip it and reassemble in same time as Insas..
2. I don't heard anything like that, It depend on Maintenance..
3. I fired in firing range its not a Problem to count or effect ones aim..

money still matters..
The deal for importing 3070 tavors was worth 880million INR.ie to be precise unit price was286644.951 rupees.
PARA like TAR-21 coz its a bull-pup and its short size, A shorter weaponry is better in PARA..

And Regarding Price, Import cost but manufacturing it inside the country cut the Price in Half..

Unlike what IA is doing now is to purchase some 66,000 Latest Rifles from outside which will Unit cost will be Same or More than TAR-21..

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Isn't AK-12 available in 5.56 NATO? If yes, why not get a whole bunch of them? I am assuming they will cost just marginally more than the current AK-74 standard. It will also help in logistics, as ammo can be shared between AK-12s and INSAS.
AK-12 retaining same mechanic as AKM, Its not a new Rifle to say, its rather a pimped up AKM on Market..

The only think make it lucrative is the ability to have different version such as 5.56 & 7.62M43 & 7.62NATO..

pmaitra

Kunal, I want to ask you as well:

Let me get your perspective in this, and I understand it can be subjective.

I find it easier to use my left hand and my right shoulder to hold the AK-47 while I pull the charging handle with my right hand. With KRISS Vector, I found it rather cumbersome, where, the charging handle was on the left, and I had to balance the entire weapon with my grip of right hand.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Kunal, I want to ask you as well:

I find it easier to use my left hand and my right shoulder to hold the AK-47 while I pull the charging handle with my right hand. With KRISS Vector / INSAS , I found it rather cumbersome, where, the charging handle was on the left, and I had to balance the entire weapon with my grip of right hand.

Its better both ways, It depends on person to person, When you are going to change mag you have to remove your hand from fore grips..

In Insas One change the mag same as AK and as soon as one do, he cock it and retain earlier position, That is how here men are used to, He might feels different abt AKM..

Bhadra

Country flag
Ram Ram bhayiyo !

I have read in this forum that IA sought new assault rifle with multiple caliber. What is the problem with Army ? why is it need latest and most modern weapon in this world ? I think no 'significant' country has acquired this multiCal weapon till now. IA should think that they will meet either pakistan or China ..Is our army is planning to fight some aliens ?
Which Army in the world is required to fight in :
Super high altitude
Arctic conditions
High altitude deserts
High and low altitude mountains covered with jungles
Alpine like jungles
Tropical jungles (has one seen the jungles of Vani/ Vavunia)
Riverine terrain
Western Europeans like plains
Semi deserts and semi developed terrain
Thar Desesrt
Run of Kutch
Coastal areas
Mountains of afghanistan
Island territories and their jungles

Desert of Saianai ( UN Mission)
Bushes of Africa (UN Missions)
Latin America ( UN Missions)

[MOD Edit: Please avoid ad hominems.]

Rahul Singh

Country flag
In war when you need to reload the rifle, you need to have one hand on the trigger, just in case you need to fire fast. Now if the charging handle is on the right side for most of the soldiers they need to remove their hand from the trigger and then do the same. Since in war every second count this just might save his life. This is only explanation i can think of (subject to correction).

I have picture of Woman BSF soldiers doing the same but it is in other computer.
To add to that, placing of INSAS's charging handle also reduces time required to change from handle to forward grip and that not just allows first shoot but first controlled shoot in other words from shooting at anywhere in body to head or heart and in combat it's huge difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Articles