INSAS Indian Small Arms System

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Country flag
Seriously, they better have a good reason for importing foreign small arms when they have what looks to be good SMGs and Assault rifles.

I say screw MP5s and that recent Italian import and go for AMOGH and MSMC.

sayareakd

Country flag
Hahaha face palm (good one).

The pic of the troops in snow gear is great, never seen that at a parade before.

If the INSAS meets all requirements why is the army asking for it to be replaced after only 12 years in service? Seems odd considering the FAL was in service for over 40 years.

If its so great the army wouldn't want to replace it right?
those are special soldiers from siachen glacier, which is the highest battle field in the world, normal rifle does not work in those cold heights. If INSAS works in those cold heights.

Only if you have done some research then we wont be writing this over and over again.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
If the INSAS meets all requirements why is the army asking for it to be replaced after only 12 years in service?
If its so great the army wouldn't want to replace it right?

Check last few pages, You been answered already, And Still you are here, Means nothing but pure attention whoring..

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
those are special soldiers from siachen glacier, which is the highest battle field in the world, normal rifle does not work in those cold heights. If INSAS works in those cold heights. .
I was thinking abt the same, turn out that i ended up making a poster on the subject..

I hope you like it so does Ray sir and others.. :)

Yatharth Singh

Knowledge is power.
Country flag
Today at Allahabad Junction(rly station), I saw a dense dog squad in which most of the jawans were carrying their Insas(some were old) and out of them, one was carrying a very neat and clean rifle as if its just coming from the factory(not Insas). Fixed butt which looked somewhat like this.

its an AK 47

I just want to confirm was it an AK-47 or a rifle of 'Insas Family'.

Note:- The one which I saw just looked like it. Dont know whether it was exactly AKM because I have no idea about black AK 47 manufactured at OFB.

Last edited:

bhramos

Country flag
Today at Allahabad Junction(rly station), I saw a dense dog squad in which most of the jawans were carrying their Insas(some were old) and out of them, one was carrying a very neat and clean rifle as if its just coming from the factory(not Insas). Fixed butt which looked somewhat like this.

its an AK 47

I just want to confirm was it an AK-47 or a rifle of 'Insas Family'.

Note:- The one which I saw just looked like it. Dont know whether it was exactly AKM because I have no idea about black AK 47 manufactured at OFB.
thats true, it was made in India,

Killswitch

Country flag
Check last few pages, You been answered already, And Still you are here, Means nothing but pure attention whoring..
Hey Kunal. Ive been reading your posts and looking at your pics for years. I have allot of respect for you. This thread is not just about INSAS, but also its potential Indian made replacements. I'm interested in the subject and like to talk about different ideas and scenarios. That doesn't make me an attention whore.
Anyways....

If the army dislikes the INSAS so much just because its designed by DRDO and made by OFB then why would they accept Arjun, bomb disposal robots, etc. but not the INSAS? Maybe the army command thinks that an assault rifle meant to equip up to 2 million people should be far superior to those of enemy troops and not just another average assault rifle.

If so, maybe the next gen 2 caliber INSAS can do the job.... if it doesn't imports will have to do(I sincerely hope the ARDE made rifle meets the armies needs and imports are not needed).

Besides, all of the old INSAS rifles could be given to police units, many of whom still use the .303. It would be an upgrade for the police at least. At least the rifles would be used for the security of the nation and not just put into storage or decommissioned.

Once you think about it, the average Indian army soldier has few new capabilities as opposed to the 1960's.

BPJ check
5.56 rifle check

no night vision
no kevlar helmet (still using thin steel helmets)
no IV's or basic med kits (IV's are great for preventing shock due to blood loss)
no friend or foe identification (the US calls these blue force trackers)
no knee pads or elbow pads (crawling and kneeling on hard surfaces can hurt after a while)

I think the IA has one of the toughest jobs in the world. They deserve the best, nothing less.

I'm done for now.

Last edited:

Yatharth Singh

Knowledge is power.
Country flag
Besides, all of the old INSAS rifles could be given to police units, many of whom still use the .303. It would be an upgrade for the police at least. At least the rifles would be used for the security of the nation and not just put into storage or decommissioned.
:facepalm: In fairy tales.

You want regular cops to carry Insas while on their duty. :rofl: Wait let me think. I can imagine a 'Daroga' carrying an Insas while riding his bullet.
What rubbish!

State police laws(which are different for different states) wont allow this. Quote me if i`m wrong and some of the laws may have been changed after 26/11 but still Insas isnt meant for regular cops. You see it makes no sense for a normal policemen to carry such a long weapon of weight 4.5 kg with 400-500m range. A simple 9mm is sufficient for them and I`m feeling very bad while saying this that most of our police officers are extremely poor at weapon handling and shooting.
Normally cops(constables) dont carry weapons while on duty. Though they are available at the police stations.

If you have said for a SMG then also it would make some sense. What I feel is that our cops should be modernized with new weapon system such as MSMC. It would be the best replacement for Sterling submachine gun, Lee-Enfield .303 , SLR in regular Police stations. But again it depends upon the State Gov. to look at those weapons taking rust who have the responsibility for the security of locals.

veeveeaar

Many IOF produced junk arms and inferior ammo are thrust upon our forces and asked to perform in all extreme conditions by our corrupt babus . It is high time our private sector which supplies spares and semi finished parts to major arms manufacturers in USA and EUROPE are issued licences and asked to produce ammunitions and weapons . IMHO they will come out with very sophiticated and cost effective solutions. Our national public must be called out to present their solutions by calling out to them in the media and the national innovation foundation and various forums . Actual combatants, Ex servicemen ,both in all ranks who have faced the real heat of operational situations should be asked to evauate and send specifictions for future and present weapons and systems. This will send jitters to IOF babus and bring out the grossly inflated prices and substandards. Our colonial mindset and obession for unnessary secrecy is a good breeding ground for corruption that is hard to detect. If you compare the prices of foreign arms and ammunition they are only a fraction of the prices of IOF, in that country of manufacture and the quality and workmanship is great. A IOF scam is in the offing.

Bhadra

Country flag
:facepalm: In fairy tales.

You want regular cops to carry Insas while on their duty. :rofl: Wait let me think. I can imagine a 'Daroga' carrying an Insas while riding his bullet.
What rubbish!

State police laws(which are different for different states) wont allow this. Quote me if i`m wrong and some of the laws may have been changed after 26/11 but still Insas isnt meant for regular cops. You see it makes no sense for a normal policemen to carry such a long weapon of weight 4.5 kg with 400-500m range. A simple 9mm is sufficient for them and I`m feeling very bad while saying this that most of our police officers are extremely poor at weapon handling and shooting.
Normally cops(constables) dont carry weapons while on duty. Though they are available at the police stations.

If you have said for a SMG then also it would make some sense. What I feel is that our cops should be modernized with new weapon system such as MSMC. It would be the best replacement for Sterling submachine gun, Lee-Enfield .303 , SLR in regular Police stations. But again it depends upon the State Gov. to look at those weapons taking rust who have the responsibility for the security of locals.

They should only carry "dandas" so that "Gundas" feel safe with their "kattas". If you arm "thullas" with INSAS, the gundas will have better weapons than them. The society will stand more weaponised and criminalised.

That would be a bad policy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Articles