INSAS Indian Small Arms System

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rage

DFI TEAM
We know close to nothing about that Multi Caliber Individual Weapon System. Pic is in ultra low resolution to see anything. So i can't and i think nobody can unless we see high resolution pic. I have posted a request on that Blog lets see what comes out. BTW, i personally fell it will better to develop a gun with changeable barrels than one with two barrels.
Rahul, we do know that the MCIWS will feature three calibers, the 5.56 mm, the 7.62 mm and a new 6.8 mm, that is said to be under development. A fourth is slated for a grenade launcher.

Here's information corroborating the same:
http://www.*******************/forums/f6/f-insas-883/

Other than that, we have no information in the publique domain. I was hoping for someone like yourself or saya, who have access to defence personnel, to be able to corroborate it on a more informal level.

Edit: Jeeps! I was hoping that link would go thru. Nevertheless, wiki also confirms the various sub-calibers.

sayareakd

Country flag
rage please PM the link or give space this site has hide that link

Raj Malhotra

Country flag
The def expo pics/video just shows diagrammatic or artistic or toy model while pics behind Ajai Schukla seem a definitive design.

sayareakd

Country flag
@RM DRDO has made FINSAS long ago but IA has rejected it due to weight issues...... now they are working on reducing weight of the system.

sandeepdg

Anybody has an idea as to when will we see the INSAS with the UBGL in active operations ??

Rahul Singh

Country flag
Recently it was reported that large sale production of UBGL is already given clearance. Also UBGL is already in service but in limited numbers.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Some Pics i took during DEFEXPO-2010..

I want this gun as a replacement for our 9mm carbine..

Rahul Singh

Country flag
Do we have any data about this Gun? I mean if available, it will help us compare it with its nearest rival(IMO) MP-7 which carries 4.6×30 mm rounds.

Now or sometime in future NSG will look replace its MP-5s. It will hearting to know if they consider or are considering this carbine for their requirement.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Do we have any data about this Gun? I mean if available, it will help us compare it with its nearest rival(IMO) MP-7 which carries 4.6×30 mm rounds.

Now or sometime in future NSG will look replace its MP-5s. It will hearting to know if they consider or are considering this carbine for their requirement.
This gun is chambered for 5.56x30mm round and successful on short barrel it gives good accuracy also less blow-back, compare to 9x19mm, 5.56x30mm can penetrate BP vests..

sandeepdg

The 4.6x30 mm round developed for the MP7 has nearly the same velocity 685m/s as compared to the 5.56x30 mm round's 650 m/s though it has energy as compared to the 5.56x30 mm and also less effective range of 150m as compared 200m of the latter. One can carry more 4.6x30mm ammunition due to the lighter weight and relative small dimensions of the cartridge. Also, due to the lighter weight of the bullet, aiming in rapid fire is much easier as recoil depends much on the weight of the bullet. Because of the smaller diameter and high projectile velocity of the 4.6x30 mm round, body armor penetration is higher than that of traditional handgun projectiles. But, overall the 5.56x30 mm round is more efficient.

sayareakd

Country flag
@sandeep Sir you are in force ??? avatar make me guesses marine commando ???

sandeepdg

@sandeep Sir you are in force ??? avatar make me guesses marine commando ???
No Saya, not at all man !!:happy_2: I am just an ordinary guy like anybody else ! I like the MARCOS, that's why the avatar !

Rahul Singh

Country flag

Why so many types of MCW? First we seen more conventional looking version and now this Bullpup. God knows how much work DRDO have to put in to compensate for Army's lack of involvement?

Last edited:

sayareakd

Country flag
Rahul IA will go for French Felin or US system............... based on past record. ............... LOL

Rahul Singh

Country flag
Anup. Look the type of gun soldier is holding in concerned poster. May be DRDO is coming up with both [type] design like it came up in the case of INSAS IAR. So that upon seeing Army doesn't say " Oh you came up with convention well we want Bullpup" and vice versa.

BTW I can't see second magazine, if you already picked up please make me locate.

Last edited:

Raj Malhotra

Country flag
A closer look at the pic would show that magzine is too small, butt too short, trigger (for the rifle) is missing. Therefore it seems like a bad drawing or terrible artisitic concept

Status
Not open for further replies.

Articles