INS Vikramaditya (Adm Gorshkov) aircraft carrier

Twinblade

Country flag

What an ALH pilot sees when coming in to land on the Vikramaditya. This is from the newly raised `Guardians' sq.

Presentation on board the Vikramaditya spell out its capabilities

First `day at sea'. PM Narendra Modi takes his seat at the bridge deck for the air power demonstration.

Three MiG 29K's scream past the Vikramaditya on PM's day at sea

'Touch and Go' . Could not witness a trapping due to bad weather but two MiG 29 K's did this !

The Teg and Tarkash alongside Vikramaditya. Firing anti submarine rockets

prohumanity

Country flag
You talking of Ugly business. At least, Russia sold India a great aircraft career....which other nation would have sold you an aircraft career? None.
Yes, the cost went high due to delay and upgrades.....but there is no price for a nations self respect and dignity.....Russia deserves "Thank you"
Russia is a real friend....Russia empowered India. Once again I say "Thank you Russia for being a good friend of India"
When others were supplying F-16s and other high tech weapons to India's enemies..Russia refused to sell these nations any weapons....that is friendship..

dealwithit

You talking of Ugly business. At least, Russia sold India a great aircraft career....which other nation would have sold you an aircraft career? None.
Yes, the cost went high due to delay and upgrades.....but there is no price for a nations self respect and dignity.....Russia deserves "Thank you"
Russia is a real friend....Russia empowered India. Once again I say "Thank you Russia for being a good friend of India"
When others were supplying F-16s and other high tech weapons to India's enemies..Russia refused to sell these nations any weapons....that is friendship..
Every Nation will have Self Interests...
Russia has its own interests.. It need Partner to check China it helped India... And That turned Into Very Very Good Business..
It didn't sell Pakistan any thing because It will effect business with India.... But It sold to China(other enemy)..

There are no permanent friends and Foes in world...

Twinblade

Country flag
You talking of Ugly business. At least, Russia sold India a great aircraft career....
Great? please don't make us chuckle. It was a rust bucket when we ordered it.

which other nation would have sold you an aircraft career? None.
Anyone with half decent shipbuilding and designing capabilities. Italy for one could have modified and constructed it's Cavour class design, which would have been way better and modern than the Baku class (like the new INS Vikrant). It would have cost us nearly the same and would have been delivered earlier. The new Project-71/INS Vikrant is said to be heavily influenced from the Cavour class. No one associated with the project has come out and said it officially, but when the design was announced Fincatieri and Avio put out their press releases about the tens of millions of Euros they got paid for the design contracts.

Ooh, Russia didn't sell China every weapon in it's stock. That is news to me.

Furthermore, educate yourself. The woes of Vikramaditya were not limited to construction alone:-
INS Vikramaditya joins Indian Navy: Shiv Aroor on why India is relieved that the battleship is finally here : Europe, News - India Today

pmaitra

@Twinblade,

There is a lot of difference between the Baku and Vikramaditya.

Baku was an Aviation Cruiser, and Vikramaditya is a true Aircraft Carrier.

I agree, the Italians would have sold us their AC for about the same cost. The only viable complain about the Baku/Gorshkov/Vikramaditya deal was the delay. There was gross underestimation of the repairs required, because, as you correctly said, it was a rust bucket. Moreover, the Russians offered India a way out of the deal, but India persisted. What no one talks about is that India did ask for major modifications, which were accounted for in the costs.

Had India gotten an AC from Italy, people would have somehow linked that with Sonia Gandhi. You know how it works in India. One can always criticize.

Perhaps that was not a good example, but to add to what @prohumanity has said, which other country would have leased a nuclear submarine to India? I say none.

Regarding Russia selling arms to PRC, do they have a choice? Arms is one of their major forex earners. Russia was very unhappy with PRC plagiarizing Russian designs, but they have still agreed to sell arms to PRC only because the petulant west and their arrogant leaders have tried to corner Russia into economic isolation. Moreover, India moved away from Russia and started importing arms from the US, with no ToT, Russia needed to sell their arms to someone. At least they did not give away arms as "aid," like Pakistan receives. Therein lies the difference. Russia sells arms to PRC for economic compulsions, but US gives arms tied to "aid," for what?

The details presented by @prohumanity are not accurate, but the gist of his comment is valid, IMHO.

Last edited by a moderator:

charlie

Country flag
Great? please don't make us chuckle. It was a rust bucket when we ordered it.
well no country these days gives even their trash for free but in this deal they gave carrier for free and they were going to charge for the work done on it.
Anyone with half decent shipbuilding and designing capabilities. Italy for one could have modified and constructed it's Cavour class design, which would have been way better and modern than the Baku class (like the new INS Vikrant). It would have cost us nearly the same and would have been delivered earlier. The new Project-71/INS Vikrant is said to be heavily influenced from the Cavour class. No one associated with the project has come out and said it officially, but when the design was announced Fincatieri and Avio put out their press releases about the tens of millions of Euros they got paid for the design contracts.]
Well you have heard Admiral Admiral Sureesh Mehta saying "I can't comment on the CAG. But you all are defence analysts, can you get me an aircraft carrier for less than two billion dollars? If you can, I am going to sign a cheque right now,"

Navy chief defends Gorshkov deal after CAG raps govt - The Times of India

Ooh, Russia didn't sell China every weapon in it's stock. That is news to me.
during 1971 war the soviets assured Indira gandhi to intervene in case China or US attacked us
Well Russian are really hard to work with, I agree that they are a bit rude but they don't keep grudge like in west or be nice to you when you are in front of them.

Well we all know how good our MOD is when preparing a contract like Barak 8 for instance
for Vikramaditya Sergey Vlasov said "When we were preparing documentation, the Indians would approach us every six months with queries. We were not contractually bound to share a lot of data demanded, but we did so because of the open and friendly relations between us."
Livefist: Vikramaditya Done, Russia Wants To Help With New Vikrant

Last edited:

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
Dhruv chopper likely to be deployed on-board INS Vikramaditya

Indigenously-built Dhruv helicopter is likely to be deployed on country's largest warship Russian-origin aircraft carrier INS Vikramaditya for carrying out the role of detecting hostile submarines.

If inducted, the Advanced Light Helicopter will be the first indigenous system to be integrated on the warship, which so far operates only imported equipment such as the MiG 29K naval combat fighters and the Kamov-31 helicopters.

The Hindustan Aeronautics Limited-built ALH Dhruv is undergoing trials for carrying out role of detecting hostile submarines using systems developed by the DRDO, Defence officials said here.

The system was put under trial at Vishakhapatnam and would be tried further before any final decision is taken on deploying the twin-engine chopper on board the carrier, they said.

===============================================

So ASW Dhruv might be a reality!

Twinblade

Country flag
well no country these days gives even their trash for free but in this deal they gave carrier for free and they were going to charge for the work done on it.
If $2.35 billion dollars is free, I am willing to sell one of my kidneys for free :)

Well you have heard Admiral Admiral Sureesh Mehta saying "I can't comment on the CAG. But you all are defence analysts, can you get me an aircraft carrier for less than two billion dollars? If you can, I am going to sign a cheque right now,"
Dear Admiral's bravado cannot deny the fact that we paid $2.35 billion dollars for Vikramaditya. Cavour for delivered under $2 billion dollars. QE class carriers are close to $4.5 a piece in 2020.

during 1971 war the soviets assured Indira gandhi to intervene in case China or US attacked us
Yes yes, ze good old sovyets would risk a nuclear war for good old friends who weren't even their allies. Did India 'intervene' in vietnam to further the agenda of soviets ? no. Afghanistan ? No. Africa ? No, we infact provided spares for tanks to South Africa despite against communists, despite our embargo. And you think the soviets would have 'intervened' on our behalf ?

Well Russian are really hard to work with, I agree that they are a bit rude but they don't keep grudge like in west or be nice to you when you are in front of them.
Your point being ? They are rude because they are besties with us?

for Vikramaditya Sergey Vlasov said "When we were preparing documentation, the Indians would approach us every six months with queries. We were not contractually bound to share a lot of data demanded, but we did so because of the open and friendly relations between us."
And? You are defending this abysmal level of professionalism ? Have you ever taken over charge in a plant and found that PMCs and maintenance manuals are not in place ? Now multiply the size of the plant several times over with thousands of men on board and you provide data only because of 'the open and friendly relationships' ? Is the second user supposed to author and master reams and reams of documentation using his imagination ?

charlie

Country flag
If $2.35 billion dollars is free, I am willing to sell one of my kidneys for free :)
They underestimated the repair work, otherwise it would not have costed us so much.

Admiral of the Fleet Gorshkov' after the Soviet collapse, was transferred to the Indian Navy free of cost with a condition that it will be modernised at Russian shipyard and equipped with MiG-29K fighters.

India gives in to Russian demand on Gorshkov deal - IBNLive
Dear Admiral's bravado cannot deny the fact that we paid $2.35 billion dollars for Vikramaditya. Cavour for delivered under $2 billion dollars. QE class carriers are close to $4.5 a piece in 2020.
Well Cavour was just near commissioning when the Gorshkov deal was signed, and if you compare the capabilities of both aircraft carriers then I can guaranty that with Vikramaditya will be more deadly because of their Mig29K rather then operating Harrier from Cavour
Yes yes, ze good old sovyets would risk a nuclear war for good old friends who weren't even their allies. Did India 'intervene' in vietnam to further the agenda of soviets ? no. Afghanistan ? No. Africa ? No, we infact provided spares for tanks to South Africa despite against communists, despite our embargo. And you think the soviets would have 'intervened' on our behalf ?
Well still they have far better attitude then a country which foreign policy says " You are with us or against us"

We didn't intervene in Vietnam even soviets didn't intervene directly in vietnam but we supported the soviets in Vietnam.

It's a fact that soviet sent help in 1971 and they assured Indira Gandhi in case the chinese attacked us.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQchmaC5-q8

four months before the war started Indira gandhi started her trips to gain international support, that's when the soviet assured her. I can search for documentary if you want.
Your point being ? They are rude because they are besties with us?

And? You are defending this abysmal level of professionalism ? Have you ever taken over charge in a plant and found that PMCs and maintenance manuals are not in place ? Now multiply the size of the plant several times over with thousands of men on board and you provide data only because of 'the open and friendly relationships' ? Is the second user supposed to author and master reams and reams of documentation using his imagination ?
Well where dose it say that "PMCs and maintenance manuals are not in place ? "

Well are you stating that it's normal for a company to perform above it's contractual agreement ?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
For IN flagship, This is poor ..

Some pics of Virrat and Shivalik`s Interior ..

======================>>

Officer Mess of INS Virrat ..

======================>>

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Was a piece of Junk, And was revived only due to Indian money and banging doors at Moscow their ship yard back then too was incompetent and these are not my words but Russian news papers back in Russia ;)

The deal was signed due to political and diplomatic reasons, The hull was not free but more expensive than the original hull itself and above all its life is limited even after entire sections of hull being replaced by new fabricated once, Check out Livefest documentary for this ..
@pmaitra, Russia can because they trust India as a reliable business partner, We don`t share secrets and we have lots of money to lease ..

==============

We should not care how good and cuddly Russian or US are, But what we get at what price and quality because its our money and our Sailors life's at stake ..

You talking of Ugly business. At least, Russia sold India a great aircraft carrier....which other nation would have sold you an aircraft career? None..
Perhaps that was not a good example, but to add to what @prohumanity has said, which other country would have leased a nuclear submarine to India? I say none.

@prohumanity are not accurate, but the gist of his comment is valid, IMHO.

Livefist: Vikramaditya Done, Russia Wants To Help With New Vikrant

They underestimated the repair work, otherwise it would not have costed us so much.

Admiral of the Fleet Gorshkov' after the Soviet collapse, was transferred to the Indian Navy free of cost with a condition that it will be modernised at Russian shipyard and equipped with MiG-29K fighters.

India gives in to Russian demand on Gorshkov deal - IBNLive

Well Cavour was just near commissioning when the Gorshkov deal was signed, and if you compare the capabilities of both aircraft carriers then I can guaranty that with Vikramaditya will be more deadly because of their Mig29K rather then operating Harrier from Cavour

pmaitra

@pmaitra, Russia can because they trust India as a reliable business partner, We don`t share secrets and we have lots of money to lease ..
Our money should go where we get the most ToT, and where there is less chance of sanctions.

That will satisfy our long term interest in being self sufficient. For that, Russia is the one to partner with.

Don't forget the cryogenic engine saga, where Russian engineers defied Boris Yeltsin, and covertly shipped a portion of the components to India. That is what I call a true friend.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Our Scientific community is the one should be credited, In recent past were researching and spending most of the time behind Russian technology as it was only available to us in mass, We design and copy if have to make ourselves independent, Tot is not a guarantee and even provided its half knowledge, Few examples can be SA-6 and T-72/90 cases, INS Vikramaditya episode was not pleasant for Navy ..

==============

I am not disagreeing with your view, I am not aware of these incidents but it must have occurred and good but this is rare ..

Our money should go where we get the most ToT, and where there is less chance of sanctions. That will satisfy our long term interest in being self sufficient. For that, Russia is the one to partner with.Don't forget the cryogenic engine saga, where Russian engineers defied Boris Yeltsin, and covertly shipped a portion of the components to India. That is what I call a true friend.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles