Infrastructure and Energy Sector

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Sensible urban poilicies that are original, innovative and adapted to Indian lifestyle is what government should device policies around, not copycat bs from other countries that have peanut size micro populations
when it comes to this issue, it's not one government that works on it. it's multiple governments mainly state and local governments, each having their own legacy issues mainly financing related.

if the discussion is happening on this topic, it has to happen city by city. clubbing all of the country in one category will not take even the discussion forward. and for every city, each infra upgrade can only be incremental and takes atleast a decade.

only recently i have begun to appreciate the time it takes to develop/upgrade public infra, the road in my area started getting upgraded in 2019 and it is still going on. so far under ground electricty cabling, putting a divider with trees has happened. now they have come to footpath, and walking track in 2023.

omaebakabaka

when it comes to this issue, it's not one government that works on it. it's multiple governments mainly state and local governments, each having their own legacy issues mainly financing related.

if the discussion is happening on this topic, it has to happen city by city. clubbing all of the country in one category will not take even the discussion forward. and for every city, each infra upgrade can only be incremental and takes atleast a decade.

only recently i have begun to appreciate the time it takes to develop/upgrade public infra, the road in my area started getting upgraded in 2019 and it is still going on. so far under ground electricty cabling, putting a divider with trees has happened. now they have come to footpath, and walking track in 2023.
Partly correct, but general guidelines in civil engineering and most stuff comes from Central institutes through ISI and institutes like that. City planning included, even more true if you need to secure money from loans, bonds, and central sources especially. Problem is ISI and few others are copy cats for the most part from other countries, it was fine in early decades post 1947 but not now....vastly outdated in some standards and barely enforced. All countries that have a working infrastructure at some point in modern era derived or tie the local code to federal level, otherwise its a chaos and no optimal planning can be done from supply chains to material production. You are focussing too much on Mumbai or some other city....dividers on local roads are a symptom of uncivilized driving and they are only necessary for traffic clarity not to control haphazard behavior from people. Dividers full length in local roads is a bad city planning design.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Partly correct, but general guidelines in civil engineering and most stuff comes from Central institutes through ISI and institutes like that. City planning included, even more true if you need to secure money from loans, bonds, and central sources especially. Problem is ISI and few others are copy cats for the most part from other countries, it was fine in early decades post 1947 but not now....vastly outdated in some standards and barely enforced. All countries that have a working infrastructure at some point in modern era derived or tie the local code to federal level, otherwise its a chaos and no optimal planning can be done from supply chains to material production. You are focussing too much on Mumbai or some other city....dividers on local roads are a symptom of uncivilized driving and they are only necessary for traffic clarity not to control haphazard behavior from people. Dividers full length in local roads is a bad city planning design.
i am presuming you haven't visited India recently. i have seen quite a bit new public infra upgrades in multiple states including tier 2 cities in recent years, to say central planned guidelines are not the norm anymore. now a days, local governments are allowed to experiment based on local needs.

vin bharat mahan

Kumaoni, Uttarakhand
Country flag
US has more than a million millionaires I read somewhere. I think immigrant millionaires leave at some point. These are probably more from other developed countries so their lifestyle won’t change too much. Many US millionaires I believe move to Switzerland, New Zealand etc.
check again bro...only india hv 800000 millionaire approx. US hv many million millionaire, not just "a million millionaire".
edit- its 26 million millionaire approx in USA, out of 380 million population. 😂🤑

images (7).jpeg

Last edited:

omaebakabaka

i am presuming you haven't visited India recently. i have seen quite a bit new public infra upgrades in multiple states including tier 2 cities in recent years, to say central planned guidelines are not the norm anymore. now a days, local governments are allowed to experiment based on local needs.
I live in India boss and all traffic and building and other safety codes have guiding standards.....with in those city planners operate. No idea what city you are reffering to, they all have few good spots and lot of bad spots. Traffic sense exists in some cities better than others with Mumbai on the top and Indore in mid cities better than metro ones like Hyderabad where most chaotic traffic culture from my experience. Ofcourse I have not visited every city recently. Rationalize a bit, problems show up when city population grows like Blore getting fucked with net immigration and all its infra once decent now is shit....mumbai did better and Delhi being capital has its good and bad but pollution levels make it unliveable. City planning is all about factoring growth and planning and experimentation does exist but not putting some flower pots and some cheap paintings and so on, that is the level. Not all negative like integrated railway stations and so on are step in right direction.

RoaringTigerHiddenDragon

Country flag
I live in India boss and all traffic and building and other safety codes have guiding standards.....with in those city planners operate. No idea what city you are reffering to, they all have few good spots and lot of bad spots. Traffic sense exists in some cities better than others with Mumbai on the top and Indore in mid cities better than metro ones like Hyderabad where most chaotic traffic culture from my experience. Ofcourse I have not visited every city recently. Rationalize a bit, problems show up when city population grows like Blore getting fucked with net immigration and all its infra once decent now is shit....mumbai did better and Delhi being capital has its good and bad but pollution levels make it unliveable. City planning is all about factoring growth and planning and experimentation does exist but not putting some flower pots and some cheap paintings and so on, that is the level. Not all negative like integrated railway stations and so on are step in right direction.
We don’t have educated, high quality urban planners employed by cities. We don’t take urban development seriously. Only in the last decade even metro cities drew up master plans and are trying to stick to it. Many development authorities are corrput with Bengaluru Dev Authority the most corrupt with a huge builder-politician nexus. This is the major reason Bengaluru metro area is totally unplanned and bad roads.

Suryavanshi

Cheeni KLPDhokebaaz
We don’t have educated, high quality urban planners employed by cities. We don’t take urban development seriously. Only in the last decade even metro cities drew up master plans and are trying to stick to it. Many development authorities are corrput with Bengaluru Dev Authority the most corrupt with a huge builder-politician nexus. This is the major reason Bengaluru metro area is totally unplanned and bad roads.
Singapore is a pretty good example of a good urban planning and it can be source of Inspiration of future tier 2 city development.

786 sq km.
5.5 million population.
13 University.
Complex Public transport.
3 airports.
Waterfront.
Open spaces.
Public housing.

Capital city of each state should rather focus on redevelopment rather than mindless expansion. Use space more efficiently.

Tier 3 cities should be well planned.

Haldilal

लड़ते लड़ते जीना है, लड़ते लड़ते मरना है
Country flag
Singapore is a pretty good example of a good urban planning and it can be source of Inspiration of future tier 2 city development.

786 sq km.
5.5 million population.
13 University.
3 airports.
Waterfront.
Open spaces.
Public housing.

Capital city of each state should rather focus on redevelopment rather than mindless expansion. Use space more efficiently.

Ya'll Nibbiars Architect firms have started to pop out in Mumbai that specializes only in the urban planning, the Some successful firms like StudioPod, Urbz, RED, IMKU.

Suryavanshi

Cheeni KLPDhokebaaz
When it comes to traffic Urban planners should take into consideration that traffic movement is mostly an issue during the peak hours in most cities that is
8 to 10:30
1 to 2:30
4 to 9

Roads get overwhelmed due to people going from office to home and vice versa.

This happens when a single artery road feeds office areas to residential areas.

Case in point Whitefield, Andheri.
They need to evenly distribute the office areas so that concentration of too much manpower can be avoided.
Second step is multi arterial road. That is different roads that have origin in the same office area but lead to different residential zones.
What happens currently is that single artery road splits Into multiple roads.
Rest can be managed by creating ring roads, better signaling system and Time based no entry or one way zones.

RoaringTigerHiddenDragon

Country flag

786 sq km.
5.5 million population.
13 University.
3 airports.
Waterfront.
Open spaces.
Public housing.

True but Singapore has zero corruption. Until our urban bodies reduce corruption to single digits, we would continue to have bad, unlivable cities. Cities can be transformed pretty quickly. You only have to see how UP cities are being transformed. People won’t recognize Varanasi today. Bengaluru has no space for roads whatsoever. Chinese cities have several 8 lane arterial roads and urban ring road expressways in a grid /ring in each of their major cities. I dont think BLR has even one 8-lane arterial road. Same case with almost all metros. They are all getting choked. Tier 2 will follow the same pattern.

Haldilal

Country flag
True but Singapore has zero corruption. Until our urban bodies reduce corruption to single digits, we would continue to have bad, unlivable cities. Cities can be transformed pretty quickly. You only have to see how UP cities are being transformed. People won’t recognize Varanasi today. Bengaluru has no space for roads whatsoever. Chinese cities have several 8 lane arterial roads and urban ring road expressways in a grid /ring in each of their major cities. I dont think BLR has even one 8-lane arterial road. Same case with almost all metros. They are all getting choked. Tier 2 will follow the same pattern.
Ya'll Nibbiars Because their laws are strict and They pay their employees at the corporate levels.

Haldilal

Country flag
Probably counting total net worth . If you got a 1 million dollar house . You are a millionaire regardless of your income . And there are plenty of million dollar houses in the US.
Ya'll Nibbiars The This data flawed, a real millionaire is who has Million US dollar worth in the movable assets. The net financial assets is a better indicators than the Net Worths.

Last edited:

MuffleParch

Country flag
The common and basic definition of an asset millionaire: Net worth of 1 million USD or higher. Net worth is the value of everything you own, minus any debts you owe.

By this standard, most Indian Americans are millionaires. 1 in every 15 American household is an asset millionaire. However,. a cash-flow millionaire is really what counts as a wealthy individual.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles