India's Future Main Battle Tank, NGMBT

Kay

Country flag
I am for two man crew; with modern tech its possible to have two man crew, one driver and other shooter/commander. That way tank's weight could be reduced. Loading could be done through autoloader. Either person could change the role.

They should think in terms of FMBT. Markava 4, type turret less design would be best. Crew could be seated at the back.

Just the idea. Tech is already developed or within reach.
Two man crewed tank with Armata like layout - crew in separate capsule, unmanned turret, however I want a more complex autoloader able to load ammo from a vertical carousal like Armata as well as from the back of turret like in Lecrec - that would improve ammo capacity and make all ammo in ready to fire condition - gun should be smoothbore and caliber 130 mm - 30 mm unmanned weapon station on top and two coaxial 12.7 mm guns with main gun + active and passive protection systems - there you go
:cowboy::shoot:

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
A 50 ton tank cannot match the performance and armour capabilities of Arjun mk2. Now if army goes ahead with this FRCV I perceive the following situations:

1. None of global tank design houses will do any sort of research into the requirement of Indian army when army has even failed to release GSQR.
2. Western tank companies will pitch a modified downrated version of an existing design like Leo 2, Abrams,Challenger 2 with an autoloader.
3. Some design houses may offer their up-armoured ICV with a 120 mm gun like CV-90 from BAE .
4. Russian UVZ will offer a downrated version of T-14S Armata..
5. Ukrainian design houses may offer to reserect tank projects of Soviets in 80s like Object 490, 477, 195 etc which were abandoned due to lack of funds (whose details are available in the net) with some Indian money.
6. Sadly the only agency which is doing some actual research into FMBT that is CVRDE will be the ultimate loser.

Last edited:

aditya10r

Mera Bharat mahan
Country flag
L
A 50 ton tank cannot match the performance and armour capabilities of Arjun mk2. Now if army goes ahead with this FRCV I perceive the following situations:

1. Non of global tank design houses will do any sort of research into the requirement of Indian army when army has even failed to release GSQR.
2. Western tank companies will pitch a modified downrated version of an existing design like Leo 2, Abrams,Challenger 2 with an autoloader.
3. Some design houses may offer their up-armoured ICV with a 120 mm gun like CV-90 from BAE .
4. Russian UVZ will offer a downrated version of T-14S Armata..
5. Ukrainian design houses may offer to reserect tank projects of Soviets in 80s like Object 490, 477, 195 etc which were abandoned due to lack of funds (whose details are available in the net) with some Indian money.
6. Sadly the only agency which is doing some actual research into FMBT that is CVRDE will be the ultimate loser.
Like the RFI global for rifles failed this too will and ultimately army will have to accept Arjun mk2/3 or FMBT.

Don't understand why army publishes RFI without proper specs???

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
CVRDE is the only agency which can come up 2 tank designs :
1. Arjun mk 3 with 4 man crew and 60-65 ton weight and 120 mm smoothbore gun. This is the evolutionary design.
2. FMBT with 3 man crew capsule and a 120 mm/higher caliber smoothbore gun housed in a unmanned turret and weight 50-55 ton. This is the revolutionary design.
As a matter of fact CVRDE has decided to follow the revolutionary design and is already developing a "universal combat platform" :
FMBT.JPG

This project is in advanced stages since most of the modules are being worked on separately and CVRDE can even come up with prototypes before 2020 if army releases GSQR. Ironically even a class of vehicles can be developed on arjun mk 2 platform and it also offers modularity in terms of design (BHIM SPH, BLT 70, AARV etc).

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
We can have armata as a role model for FMBT. Its weight is almost same with unparallel strength and fire power.

Reactions: Kay

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
No one knows the actual weight of Armata as it is kept confidential by the Russians. Some say (wikipedia) it is close to 48 tons same as T-90. Others say it is about 55 tons or more. But one thing is certain it's hull is significantly bigger than T-72 and T-90 and has 7 wheels.
Western MBTs with 3 man crew and autoloader like LECLERC AND K-2 have abot 55-56 ton weight and Chinese type 99 M has about 58-62 ton weight despite being 3 man crew. Hence 60-62 ton is ideal weight for a MBT.

Kay

Country flag
For Russians Armata is complemented by T-90. Remote and unmanned turrets are technologically not that mature enough that any army can fully repose their faith in it. Since the look and specification of future tank is not settled, we should hedge our bets on multiple designs reather than put all our eggs on a single basket.

shiphone

Country flag
Chinese type 99 M has about 58-62 ton weight despite being 3 man crew
so called Type99M is ZTZ99A with a 55 ton weight...another 3-crew export tank porject VT-4: 52 tons

R A Varun

Country flag
View attachment 21481
This is claimed to be future MBT of China on which they are working on.
Now. Questions
1) What is the need of a new MBT?
PLA could use Type-96/A/B and Type-99 /A as standard as they have now
And Type-96, Type-98 and VT-4 as export version.
Then what is the need of a new MBT?
2) No one just make weapons randomly . Because it takes investment of huge time ,labour and financial support. When some one make a platform then the developer keeps the advisory system in mind. So what is the target?
3) Do they think one day they may have to go in NorKor against K-2,Type-10,M1A2s etc? If so then definately Type-99 isn't a decent platform generally hypothesized. Forget about Type-98/96.
4) Will they export it? Then definately Arjun platform they are taking seriously. Because Pakistan is their biggest potential arms market, and Pakistan's biggest tank threat is Arjun Mk 2.
5) Is this new tank actually an all terrain platform? Future replacement of Type-96? China is working on a 1500+ hp engine which will work in high altitude with even insufficient oxygen presence.

Clearly, China is more kneen on Western design rather conventional Soviet design. Even Russians are now leaned to Western style design.

The new tank , if become as is claimed, will be "T-14" of China.

And , unless they are planning solely keeping it to them, if for international market too, then Arjun Mk 2 definately an advisory they will see as.

Several years ago, one traitor was capyured who was charged with supplying infos to Pakistan about presence of Arjun Regiments. Since then it was clear how much outcry Arjun had created in Islamabad . And now Beijing too clearly see as huge threat.

I hope from now at least Arjun gets the respect it deserves.
hope it defeats arjun in terms of weight, however this design if weighs as of arjun, pakistan doesnt have much infrastructure to hold such tanks on bridges, so these will act as the second line of defence, as this time it will be the indian forces that are going to make an advance.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
o7L3r9A.jpg

I found this FMBT concept in DRDO publication, page 6:
http://publications.drdo.gov.in/ojs/index.php/dsj/article/view/12182/6087

But the position of the hatches had me confused. In the schematics it's clearly mentioned "crewless turret", but doesn't match with the previous.
Do the commander & gunner enter the tank from the turret, like in T-90, & sit below in the basket (which would be ingenious)?

Any info?

sthf

Country flag
I don't get it. Are people in DRDO doing ungodly amount of shrooms?

First they came up with a 50 MBT design with the crew of 4 and an autoloader.

Now they come up with a "crewless" turret with not just one but two crew hatches.

What the fuck!!!!

nongaddarliberal

Country flag
Concept is good, but I'm very sceptical about DRDOs ability to stick to the requirements and make it operational a timely manner. It took 15 years simply to get through the glitches in Arjun. And they are yet to fulfil their promise of developing an indigenous 1500 hp engine for the arjun that would replace the 1400 hp one. I wonder how they will develop a 1500 hp engine at 2/3rds the size when they cant even make a full sized one.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
It looks very much like stryker MGS turret ..

=============

If their is a requirement, They will do it ..

View attachment 22278
I found this FMBT concept in DRDO publication, page 6:
http://publications.drdo.gov.in/ojs/index.php/dsj/article/view/12182/6087

But the position of the hatches had me confused. In the schematics it's clearly mentioned "crewless turret", but doesn't match with the previous.
Do the commander & gunner enter the tank from the turret, like in T-90, & sit below in the basket (which would be ingenious)?

Any info?
Concept is good, but I'm very sceptical about DRDOs ability to stick to the requirements and make it operational a timely manner. It took 15 years simply to get through the glitches in Arjun. And they are yet to fulfil their promise of developing an indigenous 1500 hp engine for the arjun that would replace the 1400 hp one. I wonder how they will develop a 1500 hp engine at 2/3rds the size when they cant even make a full sized one.

WolfPack86

Country flag
Is DRDO developing light future main battle tank for Indian Army and what about armour for the tank?.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
Remember this?
img-20170723-011330-924_orig.jpg

The version everybody said was a rejected concept... Expecting they have favoured the Armata-like arrangement of crew.
DSorYjAVQAAfPnI.jpeg

Well, guess what, i found this I made on MS Paint back then & forgot to post!

I'd converted the first design on to add a 3rd crewmember to the right side & it looked EXACTLY like the latest version they'd released later on... With the crew entering from turret-top & climbing down to the hull.
Hull armour layout seems different though.
img-20170723-011330-924_orig - Copy.jpg

IMG_20180326_165722_833.jpg

Global Defence

New threads

Articles