Indian Special Forces

Darkindie

Country flag
1.No pigs don’t have night fighting equipment too you can caught them lacking in night in Morning if you become par with pigs then it’s more risky to conduct an OP
2. I agree with that
3.They do now I will not pull ss cause I don’t have them saved it’s been discussed on this thread a lot of times in the past you can try to find it
4.true
5. I have seen it but never hold it as I was not allowed to but you can read stuff of the people who have used it even Israelis have started to ditch them in favour of m4 and arads
Aren't we catching pigs with thermal sights on them these days?

jai jaganath

Country flag
@Darkindie bro
The questions u asked can be answered only by following the thread and discussion coz we may say many things and u will counter it thinking it's logical
I was like that when I was 16
Point is things like these need detailed discussions and convo
No issues in doing that here but it has benn done multiple times in this thread and in previous one
I know u have a lot of knowledge regarding it but still better go through pages
Many of ur points have been discussed to death
Coz few things in this process will trigger few other members and lead to battle btw armchair warriors and jai ho gangs
I don't mean anything negative wrt u just a suggestion

kaboom

Country flag
Thanks for taking the time to reply.

1. I think para sf do ci/ct in morning to better spot to reduce risk as it is a daily occurance and we are on the defensive side.
2.While cross border raids like surgical strikes are done during night which reduces the risk of spotting as we are on the offensive.
3. I have not seen any foreign ex SF make fun of our SF if we are not considering the bean bag exfarts on net (for example reddit).
4. I'd say we have learned a lot too from exercises from equipment( m4 sopmod-1 not quite there but atleast a start, high cut ballistic helmet😀 but without tactical radio headset😢, plate carriers) to tactics ( day and night difference in cqb from videos few years earlier)
5. I was really impressed in the videos released during meghalaya exercises where we could see a side by side performance evaluation of PARA sf and US sof. We were equal and winning in one case too.
6. Regarding bullpups ig to each their own, can't really say as i have never held a gun in my life.
7. Regarding SF being used as super infantry. I guess dense jungle, treacherous terrain and hostage situation in the past which i believe might a bit above the level of regular units.
You are right sometimes we are a bit too critical , but that's what happens when the cycle of suffering goes on and on .
Doing ci/ct in morning is not a good decision for the attacking party as though it gives you visibility advantage it also gives your opponent the same advantage .
In ops where manpower/firepower is limited success depends solely upon reducing enemy's advantages and increasing yours .
Most of the terrorists at present don't have NVG's or thermals (although it is changing ) which means they are blind at night , but we do/should have NVG's and a sane decision would be to attack at night as that's the time when we can see and they can't thus we have an upper hand .
But we don't really se that happening here (do we lack NVGs? or are we not trained enough or some other issues ....idk ) But a modern SF must be able to do this ... Nato/us has been doing night raids since 2000s .

Also , we know some units are very well trained and decently equipped but a lot of them are not , a lot of them are still tea cupping their pistols . Things need to change , there must be uniformity and quality in training and equipment . As the world order is changing we need to make our best the best in the world .

Darkindie

Country flag
@Darkindie bro
The questions u asked can be answered only by following the thread and discussion coz we may say many things and u will counter it thinking it's logical
I was like that when I was 16
Point is things like these need detailed discussions and convo
No issues in doing that here but it has benn done multiple times in this thread and in previous one
I know u have a lot of knowledge regarding it but still better go through pages
Many of ur points have been discussed to death
Coz few things in this process will trigger few other members and lead to battle btw armchair warriors and jai ho gangs
I don't mean anything negative wrt u just a suggestion
I won't say i have a lot of knowledge you praise me too much but thanks for suggesting me to go to previous pages

Zoid Raptor

Country flag
I don't have much knowledge about guns so i don't understand the hate that bullpups get as rifle barrel length on a gun of a shorter length than ar seems good on paper for a semi jungle semi urban environment like kashmir?
Bullpups in general are weird imo. They (short barrel) might be good for personal security like SPG since concealment is of highest priority. Most of ours come with the longer barrel putting the overall length in line with an average AR which begs the question - what advantage is it actually adding and if it's defeating the whole purpose of moving away from an AR/AK?

I'm no expert but I did try out a few assault rifles here in the US with Steyr AUG being the only bullpup among them and had first hand interactions with users who owner civilian variants. I'm fairly decent with a handgun but not with an AR since most of it was straight up shooting down the range with limited movements, so take this with a grain of salt

• Maneuverability with a bullpup is extremely hard and requires significant learning curve if you're used to a conventional setup
  • Triggers aren't good due to extra linkage which has been a major issue in the older Tavors but some improvement in X-95
  • Chamber is literally right next to your face - imagine if there's a malfunction particularly with Indian ammo quality
  • Trigger is also heavy and it takes quite a lot of practice to control the recoil
  • I'm unsure about the range time our SF gets but they might be practicing with an AK to begin with, so getting used to the new mag placement and mag changes or manual of arms will take time and imo isn't ergonomical either
  • Weight balance - Bullpups are generally rear heavy
  • Accidental mag drops

airborneCommando

Country flag
A great read.
FOR THE SLIGHTLY LAZIER FOLKS-
June 1998 -
This calm was a stillness after a short and fierce firefight. Surya Prakash had taken a bullet in his head. Putting on the torch to check the injury was out of the question, as it would reveal our position. The danger was lurking in the darkness. The militants who had fired were sure to be somewhere around.
Our small team of 5 men was on a crucial information-gathering mission in a remote village between the hills amidst the forest, sometimes closer to midnight. Surya Prakash was seated on his haunches immediately outside the wooden fence, guarding the meeting point. The area was teeming with militants. We were conscious of this. However, operating in the village was dicey, especially at night. One has to confirm the identity of the militants before firing. That puts us at a terrible disadvantage in a close-quarter firefight.
The three militants belonging to Harkat-ul-Ansar Tanzeem had appeared in front of Surya Prakash like a flash in the dark alley as they turned around the corner. Surya had heard the sound, yet he hesitated to fire. He had put in only two years of service. It could be civilians moving since we were within the village. Though the movement of any villager was unlikely at this hour of the night, he wanted to confirm.
Surya had switched on his night vision goggles (NVG) and brought them to his eyes. But the slight gleam of the light that emanated from the eye lens of the night vision goggles betrayed his position. Militants were quick to respond. They unleashed a burst of automatic fire and ran back around the corner from where they had appeared. Surya was just five meters away. The bullets did not miss the target.
In our kind of missions, it is axiomatic to say, "Light is death." We were witnessing a perfect example. The slightest of light that escaped from the periphery of the eye lens of the night vision goggles was sufficient to put Surya Prakash at a fatal disadvantage.
Meanwhile, I was seated tens of meters away, quietly in the dark, listening to the information given by my informer. My heart skipped a beat when I heard the automatic burst, which was so uncharacteristic of Special Forces, who fired only single precise shots. The sound of the automatic fire meant that militants had the initiative, and they were the first to fire. My heart sank. I sprinted towards the firefight, leaped over the fence, and reached where Surya Prakash was lying. The other team members were engaging the fleeing militants.
As I caressed his head, I felt chilling liquid on my hands. I could sense it to be either blood or the grey matter from the brain. Either way, it was a terrible revelation. In the profound darkness, I could not fathom if the bullet had penetrated deep or merely grazed his forehead. But Surya Prakash was breathing, though in uneven spurts.
As a diehard optimist, I could not imagine anyone dying in my arms. He has to be saved. He will be saved. During the last four years of fighting in the valley, no one had died in my command. I kept reminding myself – 'I am the favourite son of God.' I will save Surya, too.
I immediately got hold of my rucksack and took out the IV bottles from my First Aid kit. The conditions of administering him intra-venous were far from ideal. It was a pitch-dark night. I had to arrange a cover to hide the torchlight while searching for his veins. His heart was sinking rapidly. The veins were dying down, too. On that chilly night, I was sweating profusely.
I was desperate to save Surya Prakash. He was the youngest paratrooper in my team. Barely 19 years of age, he joined my team a year back when we operated in the Rajauri-Poonch area. I vividly recall a moment during our Commanding officer's visit, wherein, while meeting him, he had remarked – "Deep, just look at his age! We were running after pretty girls at this age, and this guy is running after dreaded militants." I nodded profusely. I couldn’t agree with him more. That is how the destiny carves out paths for each one of us.
Tonight, he was battling for his life. His heavy breathing was unsettling me. I was continuously talking to him – "Stay with me, buddy; I am not going to let anything happen to you. I am taking you to the hospital". By a stroke of luck, for a moment, he responded by holding my hand tightly. It gave me hope that I desperately needed. I was furiously planning to evacuate him to the road where a Jonga would transport him to the Field hospital at Kupwara. I unbuckled his belt and opened his shoes. I wanted him to breathe comfortably while we carried him on a bed from one of the village houses.
Navigating the dilapidated roads took an hour and a half, driving with relentless urgency. At that moment, nothing else mattered but getting Surya to the hospital. Panting and exhausted, we put Surya before the Doctor, who was waiting for us in the main lobby.
My plea hung in the air – "Save him, Doctor."

The Doctor examined him and told me – "Sorry, Major, but he is dead."
I retorted by crying desperately – "No, he is still breathing. Look at him. You have to save him", as emotions threatened to drown reason.
"He is clinically dead, buddy. You can see the grey matter all over."
Many things were happening to me for the first time in my life. I hadn't undergone such trauma before. Tears eluded my control, streaming down unabatedly. I was sobbing.
Just then, a fellow Commando picked me up and took me aside. "Sahab, please wipe your tears. The entire team is watching. You cannot show weakness now". My mind could not comprehend wisdom, yet I listened to him blankly while wiping my tears. My conviction of saving Surya was shattered. That year was 1998.
Years passed away. Despite my fierce desire to visit Surya Prakash's house in Shimla, professional commitments consumed my time, preventing the personal journey I had longed for.
Finally, in 2009, my wife and I planned a trip to Surya's village. I contacted fellow unit men, who met me at Shimla and had arranged for our visit to his house. It was a one-hour drive from Shimla. Surya's parents, brother, and sister-in-law were gracious hosts. His sister-in-law brought a framed picture of Surya Prakash. I fondly admired that young face in the picture frame who was once like a kid to me.
Suddenly, their daughter playfully came from outside to greet us. In a stark revelation, Surya's brother shared that their daughter was born exactly on the same day when Surya died on 22 Jun 1998. Both the little daughter and the mortal remains of Surya arrived at this home on the same day. However, they have always treated their daughter as an incarnation of Surya.
As I gazed at the daughter, emotions surged within, and tears held back once again. All this while, Surya Prakash's mother kept holding the hand of my wife, without uttering a word.
As a symbolical revenge while in the valley after Surya's death, every time our team eliminated the militants belonging to Harkat-ul-Ansar Tanzeem, we named the operations on Surya Prakash's - Operation Sunlight I, Operation Sunlight II, and the series continued.
In the shadows of that harrowing night, my heart still sinks thinking of Surya.
This is what the Army has given me – innumerable relations that I have been able to call my family, along with stories of immense happiness and deep sorrows.

The above is a story from Brig. Deep Bhagat, SM 9 Para SF

lexz09

Guyz one question to all, which NVG in service with ISF, you find the best?
Obviously TASL ones cuz they are AN/PVS-31 copies. Used by green berets and many SFs around the world too. Tonbo ik they are very good but not getting much orders it seems atleast in nvg nods section..

Last edited:

Arad Operator

Country flag
Obviously TASL ones cuz they are l3 copies. Used by green berets and many SFs around the world too. Tonbo ik they are very good but not getting much orders it seems atleast in nvg nods section..
Nice, mine is GNVG by L3 in service!:D

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles