Indian Special Forces

rkhanna

Country flag
Some years ago I read around 600 men divided into 4-5 companies.

BTW anyone knows for which theatre 13 PARA SF has been raised? And isn't it a concern/surprise a new SF battalion's raising is in public?
These are white units and part of official ORBAT.

Gen Katoch in one of his writings had said that the old SF bns were SF and the new ones were raised to be CI forces - hinting that they are not all equal. How much of this remains true ?!

rkhanna

Country flag
Kill me in my sleep.

Seriously, I was very hopeful of this being a rumor.
Start the RR boys. (Not Rashtriya Rifles. The other RR.)

Still, there's a HUGE difference in having the option and not using it and not having the capability when it may be needed.
Not to mention that we haven't seen a true all-out, peer to peer, modern, non-nuclear (or nuclear for that matter but let's ignore that for the time being) conflict just yet so we can't say conclusively how essential or redundant that capability is.

From a combined strength of the Para Regiment + Airborne Combined arms elements + SFF we should carve out

1. A vanilla Parachute Regiment
2. A US Ranger type Airborne Commando element
3. A proper Army SOF unit

All three should have their own Aviation and Support assets and all three should be treated as strategic assets and not tactical.

Each having their own selection

Automatic Kalashnikov

Country flag
These are white units and part of official ORBAT.

Gen Katoch in one of his writings had said that the old SF bns were SF and the new ones were raised to be CI forces - hinting that they are not all equal. How much of this remains true ?!
White units?

4 is a relatively new SF unit, ig converted in the early 2000s, despite that it took part in the SS 2016 and in ladakh.

rkhanna

Country flag
White units?

4 is a relatively new SF unit, ig converted in the early 2000s, despite that it took part in the SS 2016 and in ladakh.
A white unit is an official unit that shows up in the Military ORBAT as presented to Parliament. It is not covert. All the units that took part in the SS are white. We showed their faces and gave them medals on national TV.

JConline

Country flag
A white unit is an official unit that shows up in the Military ORBAT as presented to Parliament. It is not covert. All the units that took part in the SS are white. We showed their faces and gave them medals on national TV.
Hence the covert units if any in Para SF would be 9 and 10 right?
Seriously do we need another SF battalion?
Of late I was hearing that the army wants to focus on quality over quantity. That shit just went up in flames.

rkhanna

Country flag
Hence the covert units if any in Para SF would be 9 and 10 right?
Seriously do we need another SF battalion?
Of late I was hearing that the army wants to focus on quality over quantity. That shit just went up in flames.
No all Para SF units show up on orbat. All are white. The SG is black as it's nomenclature keeps changing decade to decade and doesn't show up in orbat.

Note: A white unit can undertake a Black operation but still that would be very rare. As long as the military maintains an Op report it's white.

SGOperative

Country flag
White units?

4 Has earned alot of respect, i guess they are seen as peers to the older units also 12 Maybe since they did a cross border strike in Myanmar

abingdonboy

Country flag
Welp.

the same people celebrating this nonsense are the same people that will defend the abysmal equipment and training standards of existing SF btns

seriously who can take pride in this? A few more guys running around with SF tabs posting on IG?

IA has completely lost the plot and it’s abundantly clear they don’t know know what SFs are

Once again, they need to ditch the current structure and create a separate SF regiment, the PARA regiment IA has is completely dominated by the SF btns. Existing PARA regiment can be an elite light infantry like 75th ranger regiment but it’s 100% impossible for a nation as poor as india to have these many SF operators and have them trained and equipped to actual SF standards.

+ this also entirely undermines the INSOCOM idea as it’ll be bloated and diluted thanks to the PARA SF component now.

my cynical mind wonders if this is a way for the IA to smother the SOCOM idea from the very start

EternalNxg

Country flag
Now that 13 Para Special forces has been raised, what will it's AOR be? Kashmir? NE? Also what role?

BlackViking

Country flag
Honestly at this point you can only believe these people are mentally stunted, their current SF units are still pathetically equipped from the last major SF expansion ( converting airborne to SF) and
they are still going?

they want more PARA SF than green berets with 1/20th the budget,I wonder where this is going to head

IG this man is back to serve(?) India, this time armed forces instead of BCCI.

COLDHEARTED AVIATOR

Country flag
Welp.

the same people celebrating this nonsense are the same people that will defend the abysmal equipment and training standards of existing SF btns

seriously who can take pride in this? A few more guys running around with SF tabs posting on IG?

IA has completely lost the plot and it’s abundantly clear they don’t know know what SFs are

Once again, they need to ditch the current structure and create a separate SF regiment, the PARA regiment IA has is completely dominated by the SF btns. Existing PARA regiment can be an elite light infantry like 75th ranger regiment but it’s 100% impossible for a nation as poor as india to have these many SF operators and have them trained and equipped to actual SF standards.

+ this also entirely undermines the INSOCOM idea as it’ll be bloated and diluted thanks to the PARA SF component now.

my cynical mind wonders if this is a way for the IA to smother the SOCOM idea from the very start
Thatswhy in one of my post i had written that Chinese have discipline with training and applicability in right direction.

They are not perfect and everyone makes fun of them but they would soon be.

Chinese have actually reduced the size of their Army and worked on equipment.

In the deptt of planning and acquiring i have no respect for the Indian Army and i am totally convinced it is run by idiots.

abingdonboy

Country flag
Thatswhy in one of my post i had written that Chinese have discipline with training and applicability in right direction.

They are not perfect and everyone makes fun of them but they would soon be.

Chinese have actually reduced the size of their Army and worked on equipment.

In the deptt of planning and acquiring i have no respect for the Indian Army and i am totally convinced it is run by idiots.
Those making fun of them only do so to comfort themselves for their own weaknesses

Chinese have undertaken reforms india can only talk about ( theatrisation, manpower cuts (>30%), special forces command, massive aviation brigades, focus on mechanisation and rocket arty, AI/cyber warfare wings etc etc) whilst IA is still stuck in 1900s thinking they will win wars using foot soldiers and bayonet charges

the biggest thing about Chinese strategic culture is they recognise their weaknesses and set goals to close them. It’s 2022 and IAF is still trying to get their MMRCA that they started in early 2000s, IN is still trying to implement their submarine plan envisaged in the 1980s and the IA can’t even get all their soldiers proper PPE

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles