Indian Special Forces

Aditya Ballal

Country flag
IMO after what Avinash sir said instead of wasting money on a bayone for the guns, it would have been wiser to just purchase them some good quality combat knives.

Aditya Ballal

Country flag
I am 5'11 and I personally wouldn't prefer such a long weapon. Also the real fun would begin once the firing starts, people will have to modify a buffer pad for the stock. The recoil is phenomenal in this calibre. I remember my SLR days in NCC.
@AVINASH4061 sir, pls take a look at these videos. Ig it’s probably the first time they’re firing the gun so it’s like this, but if I, not wrong they’ll need to change the training process and impart recoil management techniques.
Please ignore the background music.

Aditya Ballal

Country flag
The SIG with Bayonet, shall thrust the Chinese using the advantage of the extended length🤣🤣🤣🤣🤦‍♂️

View attachment 93092

View attachment 93093
Firing is due, ammo is all import types.
Also sir, is there any news of any optics being purchased for the new guns to exploit their full potential? So far the only optic seen which suits a gun of this caliber is the Trijicon ACOG 3.5X35mm with 6 Para, but I think there are very few of that type.
Others have been holographic sights like EOTECH 512, BEL and Red dots like Zeiss RSA.
1622725816245.jpeg

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
The SIG with Bayonet, shall thrust the Chinese using the advantage of the extended length🤣🤣🤣🤣🤦‍♂️

View attachment 93092

View attachment 93093
Hhhmm how is this bayonet supposed to be mounted on SIG-716I though ? like using M-Lok side mounted adapter as shown here (rifle's also same),
1622730904859.png

or on the barrel itself (although bayonet lug isn't visible on SIG-716I's barrel) ?

Because if it's second case i.e. on the barrel itself then it's...let's say, not-so-well-thought for now...I mean you get this "lightweight" rifle with free-floating barrel on it and now bayonet is also mounted on same light barrel which is mostly hold in place by barrel nut on receiver ?

Sir, can you shed some light on this matter, how actually we are mounting bayonets on SIG-716Is here ? also if you could provide a pic of one with bayonet mounted on it it'd be great thing to see.

AVINASH4061

Professional
Country flag
@AVINASH4061 sir the time you retire in 2019 till then did you see any para sf battalion using modern bpj or plate carriers and so after your service did you hear anything about it being used as we have seen some pics where a group uses it, it might be standardized.
Absolutely no standardisation. I retired last month, but my connections with the community is deep seated. I am mostly aware of the procurements and acquisitions.

AVINASH4061

Professional
Country flag
@AVINASH4061 sir, pls take a look at these videos. Ig it’s probably the first time they’re firing the gun so it’s like this, but if I, not wrong they’ll need to change the training process and impart recoil management techniques.
Please ignore the background music.
Ha ha, bhai yahan recoil management ke koi classes nahi hain. Only a few interested guys would have learnt it by hit and trial method.

AVINASH4061

Professional
Country flag
Also sir, is there any news of any optics being purchased for the new guns to exploit their full potential? So far the only optic seen which suits a gun of this caliber is the Trijicon ACOG 3.5X35mm with 6 Para, but I think there are very few of that type.
Others have been holographic sights like EOTECH 512, BEL and Red dots like Zeiss RSA.
View attachment 93097
Honestly the procurement policies and logic is beyond my comprehension. God bless the Special Ops community.

Automatic Kalashnikov

Country flag
Absolutely no standardisation. I retired last month, but my connections with the community is deep seated. I am mostly aware of the procurements and acquisitions.
Sir there were reports that SF (maybe AFSOD) are planning to procure SCAR H/L rifles and NVG, parachute, etc. So are these true?

Gessler

Country flag
So OFB doesn't make 7.62x51? They were making them for SLRs
They do, they are still produced today for likes of MAG MMG and others.

But the quality control & consistency of OFB-made ammo leaves a lot to be desired. No doubt a decision was taken during trials to use the 716s with imported ammo as the OFB ones probably introduced a whole lot of reliability issues.

I've heard from other sources that even the 5.56x45 rounds used by Para's M4s and Tavors is imported from US & Israel again due to reliability issues with OFB versions. Perhaps @AVINASH4061 can confirm.

Also, the 16" barrel length & twist rate of the 716 is unlike any rifle platform we used before. Ammo performance changes a great deal when you vary those values. Even in case of 5.56, I'm pretty sure the OFB-made ammo meant for 18" barrel INSAS would work poorly with 14.5" M4s. From what I know OFB 5.56 is slow-burning and requires that extra barrel length to fully attain its velocity.

I'd think 7.62x51 made by OFB has similar issues. May work in a open-bolt belt-fed setting with 24" barrel MMGs but in a magazine-fed gas-operated 16" SIG 716, probably not very well.

ManhattanProject

Country flag
They do, they are still produced today for likes of MAG MMG and others.

But the quality control & consistency of OFB-made ammo leaves a lot to be desired. No doubt a decision was taken during trials to use the 716s with imported ammo as the OFB ones probably introduced a whole lot of reliability issues.

I've heard from other sources that even the 5.56x45 rounds used by Para's M4s and Tavors is imported from US & Israel again due to reliability issues with OFB versions. Perhaps @AVINASH4061 can confirm.

Also, the 16" barrel length & twist rate of the 716 is unlike any rifle platform we used before. Ammo performance changes a great deal when you vary those values. Even in case of 5.56, I'm pretty sure the OFB-made ammo meant for 18" barrel INSAS would work poorly with 14.5" M4s. From what I know OFB 5.56 is slow-burning and requires that extra barrel length to fully attain its velocity.

I'd think 7.62x51 made by OFB has similar issues. May work in a open-bolt belt-fed setting with 24" barrel MMGs but in a magazine-fed gas-operated 16" SIG 716, probably not very well.
I heard OFB was supplying 5.56 nato ammo to the american civilian market. I hope someone buys some and reviews the ammo.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles