Indian Special Forces

kaboom

Country flag
Yeah, most of us considered the premises of the operation based on press releases (read propaganda) of paki terrorist org.
Considering the IED angle, body armour and comtacs sure would've helped in reducing the impact on the unfortunate personnel.
one big question
why no thermals ?
they have them in good numbers , also it is the ideal piece of equipment when you are the one hunting at night..

airborneCommando

Country flag
Quick question, isn't SG a special mission unit of India?
Not exactly, although the T/O of the org is similiar to SAS post the creation of NSG.
Earlier it had 3 companies and 1 training team. 2 of them were the core of NSG. Rest, 1 company was retained and 3 others were raised from scratch and got termed as Team/Squadrons each with their specialities.
The C2 and tasking(may or may not be) of the unit isn't similiar to any SMU.

mcpo117

Country flag
Not exactly, although the T/O of the org is similiar to SAS post the creation of NSG.
Earlier it had 3 companies and 1 training team. 2 of them were the core of NSG. Rest, 1 company was retained and 3 others were raised from scratch and got termed as Team/Squadrons each with their specialities.
The C2 and tasking(may or may not be) of the unit isn't similiar to any SMU.
So how come we don't get to hear about their exploits? What do they really do?

airborneCommando

Country flag
one big question
why no thermals ?
they have them in good numbers , also it is the ideal piece of equipment when you are the one hunting at night..
They usually carry HHTIs (handheld thermals) in such jungle based operations.You might remember the SADO op at Bann Toll plaza...all of them had a G24 mount stowed on their helmets ready to snap onto it, similiar was the case of sunjwan last year. I believe this depends on the geography/duration of the operation. The SOP should be revised if true.

airborneCommando

Country flag
So how come we don't get to hear about their exploits? What do they really do?
We dont even hear about the exploits of para sf units, i've read so many citations from the last few years mostly from LC.

Although in late 90s to early 2000s they were actively conducting SADO operations in a CI setting in Rajouri-Poonch. We lost major udai singh in one such operation where he came in contact with a large insurgent group. Prior to this his team successfully had destroyed several SATCOM and ELINT assets and their handlers in that AO.

kaboom

Country flag
They usually carry HHTIs (handheld thermals) in such jungle based operations.You might remember the SADO op at Bann Toll plaza...all of them had a G24 mount stowed on their helmets ready to snap onto it, similiar was the case of sunjwan last year. I believe this depends on the geography/duration of the operation. The SOP should be revised if true.
IMO they must have a thermal equipped rifle between the team all the time irrespective of op.

I think marcos is playing with ,it one of the men in the group in G20 photos had a thermal sight

( may have been due to the terrain .. a swimming jihadi glows like an LED in the cold lake water background)

mcpo117

Country flag
We dont even hear about the exploits of para sf units, i've read so many citations from the last few years mostly from LC.

Although in late 90s to early 2000s they were actively conducting SADO operations in a CI setting in Rajouri-Poonch. We lost major udai singh in one such operation where he came in contact with a large insurgent group. Prior to this his team successfully had destroyed several SATCOM and ELINT assets and their handlers in that AO.
They need to do this more often now. I've read somewhere that SG is the wing of RaW. Something like Special Activities dudes. If its even remotely true then they should be inciting rebellion in pok or some shit.

airborneCommando

Country flag
IMO they must have a thermal equipped rifle between the team all the time irrespective of op.

I think marcos is playing with ,it one of the men in the group in G20 photos had a thermal sight

( may have been due to the terrain .. a swimming jihadi glows like an LED in the cold lake water background)
Haha Thermals are blind through water and glass, and they work best in areas like forests and Built up areas.
Higher the temperature differnece b/w the target and the area around him, the better the target acquisition and situational awareness by the operator.

airborneCommando

Country flag
They need to do this more often now. I've read somewhere that SG is the wing of RaW. Something like Special Activities dudes. If its even remotely true then they should be inciting rebellion in pok or some shit.
Nah, Special Activities is totally different.
SG is more like ISA,CAG and even RRC depending on what they're told to be.

kaboom

Country flag

those were the times when IA was on steroids
they were like fuck rules, fuck human rights, fuck jurisdictions we kill

I wish I was around at that time .. only to watch , definitely not to commit some war crimes

Kumaoni

those were the times when IA was on steroids
they were like fuck rules, fuck human rights, fuck jurisdictions we kill

I wish I was around at that time .. only to watch , definitely not to commit some war crimes
90s Kashmir was very similar to Afghanistan. Foreign militants, Camps everywhere, militants coming in parties of 100s. 1999 especially was the worst year.

still there was no Air Force used for some reason

kaboom

Country flag
90s Kashmir was very similar to Afghanistan. Foreign militants, Camps everywhere, militants coming in parties of 100s. 1999 especially was the worst year.

still there was no Air Force used for some reason
Air force was not used but attack helicopters (armed cheetah) were used afaik (anyone knows the name of the op )

At that time we used to score kill counts in double digits in a single ambush

Kumaoni

Air force was not used but attack helicopters (armed cheetah) were used afaik (anyone knows the name of the op )

At that time we used to score kill counts in double digits in a single ambush
Sarp Vinash. 65 terrorists eliminated by 9 para and RR units (half alone from 9 para)

And yes. Those days it was not uncommon for battalions to score 20+ kill count during a 2 year tenure. Operation Dudhi 1991 was probably one of the greatest counter insurgency operations ever launched, where an ambush party of 15 Assam rifle troops successfully ambushed a major column of terrorists, killing 72 and apprehending 14. One of my favorite operations which is overlooked on this very forum.

Kumaoni

bhai movie nahi chal rahi hai ki superman ki tarah sabko maarke aajaenge ambush se bhi, nobody is infallible
Please rewatch the videos. You’ll see the dead Paras with the guns in their hand, with no helmets, and lying like the fought till their last breath,

rkhanna

Country flag
Then why did the rifle of a scout had a Mepro passive night vision on it ?
I am most likely missing out on alot of the conversaiton but let me share my perspective

We have a near ZERO night fighting capability. Having NVGs and Optics means squat when the whole ecosystem is not equipped or TRAINED to fight at night.

an SOF unit - even with kit - will rarely launch a DA at night because none of the support infra can work effectively at night - ISR/QRT etc etc etc

Lastly Kit means nothing if not preceded by Strategy and Mandate and followed by Tactics and training. Both still seriously lacking.

mcpo117

Country flag
I am most likely missing out on alot of the conversaiton but let me share my perspective

We have a near ZERO night fighting capability. Having NVGs and Optics means squat when the whole ecosystem is not equipped or TRAINED to fight at night.

an SOF unit - even with kit - will rarely launch a DA at night because none of the support infra can work effectively at night - ISR/QRT etc etc etc

Lastly Kit means nothing if not preceded by Strategy and Mandate and followed by Tactics and training. Both still seriously lacking.
And I'm yet to see proper strobes on our boys. Its almost non existent except maybe Marcos in a few pics which speaks volumes of our lack of night fighting capabilities.