Indian Special Forces

Jedi Operator

Country flag
Absolutely nothing. A paper product and a largely abandoned experiment
An ex-MARCO told me that AFSOD is based on JSOC, when I showed him the question posted here few weeks back about the 300 hostages in Myanmar. He said more is spent on this unit than any other. I personally dont have any comments. Only results can show. So dont argue with me, I am saying only what he told me.

jai jaganath

Country flag
An ex-MARCO told me that AFSOD is based on JSOC, when I showed him the question posted here few weeks back about the 300 hostages in Myanmar. He said more is spent on this unit than any other. I personally dont have any comments. Only results can show. So dont argue with me, I am saying only what he told me.
But afsod was killed before it could take birth

zathura98

Country flag
All u drunk mfs

He is a lance naik... He cannot be a pilot.

Pilots are officers.

Fucking Weekend boozers.

there is a list of Gallantry and Service Awardees of TACDE at the bottom of page there is guy in 1971 war who was a Sgt.

Sgt P SivanVM1971

Don't know more details, just saw this and posted. I am not much aware of IAF😅😅.

NoobWannaLearn

Country flag
I would take an ex Marcos word on this one then

Waanar

Country flag
The worst part is IA isn’t learning from the mistakes of others. The US army adopted similar high protection BPJs in the mid 00s for use in Iraq/Afghanistan but quickly dropped them after they found the reduced mobility severely diminished combat effectiveness and in fact created casualties

so wtf is the IA thinking by going even further and with even less ergonomic setups for already under equipped units without even 10% of the support of the US army?

View attachment 174862
Probably for COIN more than P2P conflict. Would make sense, no?
Guys dismount from a truck 800 metres away, slaughter the dudes in the house or cordon, maybe soak up some bullets and then get back on the truck for dal makhani.
On the other hand, US was patrolling for much further owing to lack of numbers required for area domination and many more militants.

Numbers probably play in the equation too. Thousand guys patrolling a city can keep their patrols short and heavy compared to a hundred guys possibly losing control of the hinterlands because of one base since they can't allow ten bases with ten guys each because of risk of getting overrun.
Just making khayali pulaos, don't rip me a new one.

abingdonboy

Country flag
To be honest I’d be surprised if any Indian officer could tell you the difference between SOCOM and JSOC. He might have just conflated the two because AFSOD’s mandate was actually to be a precursor to a SOCOM

abingdonboy

Country flag
Probably for COIN more than P2P conflict. Would make sense, no?
Guys dismount from a truck 800 metres away, slaughter the dudes in the house or cordon, maybe soak up some bullets and then get back on the truck for dal makhani.
On the other hand, US was patrolling for much further owing to lack of numbers required for area domination and many more militants.

Numbers probably play in the equation too. Thousand guys patrolling a city can keep their patrols short and heavy compared to a hundred guys possibly losing control of the hinterlands because of one base since they can't allow ten bases with ten guys each because of risk of getting overrun.
Just making khayali pulaos, don't rip me a new one.
I think you’ve given more thought to this than anyone inside IA

also the numbers don’t add up- SMPP was given a contract for ~160K of this cr@p, TASL ~200k, that’s about 2/3rds Of the ENTIRE infantry force of the IA.

Shouldn’t the IA be focusing entirely on P2P now? They’ve been withdrawn from urban settings in JK and NE for a few years now and clearly the idea is they’ll eventually be replaced by CAPFs almost entirely in the internal security role.

imagine having to wear these BPJs at >10K feet as the Chinese are running at you with spikes and out flanking you.

I’ve suspected for a while that IA has become too COIN focused and ultimately Pakistan’s long term objectives of bogging india down in JK have been completed. Now I think Modi’s govt has gone a long way to combatting this but the mindset created inside the Indian army in particular is insidious and hasn’t been shaken. 2020 should’ve been a wake up but clearly not

Spadex

Country flag
Why convert airborne to SF tho? Who will be airborne then?
Airborne troops will remain, not everyone in the airborne battalion will be converted to SF. Few soldiers from every airborne (6,7, 26 etc) will be reserved purely for airborne duties.

Jedi Operator

Country flag
To be honest I’d be surprised if any Indian officer could tell you the difference between SOCOM and JSOC. He might have just conflated the two because AFSOD’s mandate was actually to be a precursor to a SOCOM
AFSOD couldn't be like SOCOM, at most what they'll do is have people on deputation and spend money on them then send them back.....NSG aur SG mei bhi yehi hota hei. And since it's Tri Service, they will say....This is similar to JSOC. . One book he recommended was "Spec Ops Case Studies by William Mcraven.
Indian military i known is very hosh-posh when it comes to executing things. At least this I am certain that AFSOD's main mission is going to be counterterrorism and counterproliferation. The latter one especially because now we have that new bill on WMD research.

rkhanna

Country flag
The budget is/was 860cr for 3000 men + arms ammo + c&c and logistics + training Infra. If that's the most that is being spent on a SOF unit in India i shudder to think of the rest.

Inderjeet Singh

Country flag
The budget is/was 860cr for 3000 men + arms ammo + c&c and logistics + training Infra. If that's the most that is being spent on a SOF unit in India i shudder to think of the rest.
Why we go for big numbers why not a 300 men in afsod

Jedi Operator

Country flag
Why we go for big numbers why not a 300 men in afsod
Ya I mean, within it's integrated entities are the following: (source Wiki)
So how many SF guys are their we dont know, maybee the total number is 3000
or, do one thing, @rkhanna can you give me the source of your "budget thing"

Jedi Operator

Country flag
OK so see this,
USSOCOM's FY2022 budget request was for $12.6 billion, representing a decrease of $495 million (4%) of the FY2021-enacted position of $13.1 billion.

$12.6 billion = 10,43,58,99,60,000 Indian Rupees
Comparing to AFSOD, with let's say 3000 commandos, if not the total strength,
8,60,00,00,000 Indian Rupee = $ 10 billion something.

I say, fair enough

rkhanna

Country flag
OK so see this,
USSOCOM's FY2022 budget request was for $12.6 billion, representing a decrease of $495 million (4%) of the FY2021-enacted position of $13.1 billion.

I say, fair enough
Comparing with America is bad form. They gave a global footprint. We don't . We should compare with The Philipino / Polish / Korean / French commands

Ya I mean, within it's integrated entities are the following: (source Wiki)
So how many SF guys are their we dont know, maybee the total number is 3000
or, do one thing, @rkhanna can you give me the source of your "budget thing"
Do you mean that all those entities are WIthin AFSOD ?

There was an article sometime back about how the money for AFSOD and Cyber command while allocated had not been disbursed even after a year of go ahead. Is there on this thread somewhere back .

Jedi Operator

Country flag
Comparing with America is bad form. They gave a global footprint. We don't . We should compare with The Philipino / Polish / Korean / French commands

There was an article sometime back about how the money for AFSOD and Cyber command while allocated had not been disbursed even after a year of go ahead. Is there on this thread somewhere back .
comparing in terms of budget only.
They have a global footprint and 12 billion dollars, we have within our neighborhood and some countries here and their, defiantly Indian ocean region even then it makes up their US Central and US Indo Pacific Command. so I think 10 Billion $ (860 crore) is fair enough.

Jedi Operator

Country flag
No, I only suggested. So that they might make up 3000 level strength. But now i reject that saying, cause US SOCOM has what some total of 10,000 SF, (combining SF groups, SEALS, Rangers, MARSOC raiders, TACPS, CCTs etc) not to mention they have Civil Affairs, SWCCS, Navy EOD, PJs, Psyops etc.
If they have a total budget of 12 billion dollar while operating at a global level.
Then if your info is accurate that our AFSOD has 860 core (equivalent to 10 Billion US Dollar) for 3000 commandos operating in a much restricted environment, I say alright bring it on. Show us. But if even this fails then i have no hope left

singhboy98

Country flag
OK so see this,

I say, fair enough
You do realise that USD $12.6 Billion is close to ₹1 Lakh Crore? AFSOD budget was ₹860 Crore which is only USD $100 Million. This is an embarrassment. Please learn basic arithmetic and request mods to delete your post

Jedi Operator

Country flag
You do realise that USD $12.6 Billion is close to ₹1 Lakh Crore? AFSOD budget was ₹860 Crore which is only USD $100 Million. This is an embarrassment. Please request mods to delete your post
Bhai toh ye bhi toh dekh they have so many units, so many specialties, so many support personal, and a huge area to be covered.

Edit - Aree nehi you are right. Ye maine kya calculation kia hei sala. :rofl:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles