Indian Special Forces

rkhanna

Country flag
Doesn't matter who it comes under. For now AFSOD is an independent entity and probably the info isn't out in the open but AK Dhingra has had successors. AFSOD had an exercise last year too, DANX-21. AFSOD is a pilot project for a future joint special ops command so when that happens, AFSOD will be absorbed under that.
And why I said it doesn't matter is because right now, I don't think AFSOD will be making any independent purchases. It is just bringing the best operators from the SF pool with their respective equipment and deploying them as a team.
The bigger question is while it's a project, do you think a $100m budget will provide tangible learnings to lead into a successful Command ? Or is this experiment doomed to fail from inception?

(I honestly don't have an answer or thought either way- just asking )

JConline

Country flag
The bigger question is while it's a project, do you think a $100m budget will provide tangible learnings to lead into a successful Command ? Or is this experiment doomed to fail from inception?

Right now, I'm really pinning my hopes on the Navy and AF leadership and some of the better informed officers of the Army to pull this through. And also bracing for a pretty long stint for AFSOD to turn into a Command. As for the budget, a 100m should be enough for AFSOD with 3k operatives.

OFBkaRakhwala

Country flag
Right now, I'm really pinning my hopes on the Navy and AF leadership and some of the better informed officers of the Army to pull this through. And also bracing for a pretty long stint for AFSOD to turn into a Command. As for the budget, a 100m should be enough for AFSOD with 3k operatives.
More than enough considering they aren't making any independent purchases yet

rkhanna

Country flag
Bro that's 33K an operator. What will that achieve ? What about building and testing logistics, integrating comms ISR, infil exfil , training infrastructure? - even if all of this scaled down should be there in the pilot project in some shape and form? The project is also supposed to test C&C.

Secondly I want these guys to be shooting 300 rounds a week per person really pushing each other to develop better tactics etc?! Right ? All that costs money.

Or maybe j am getting ahead of myself

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
Bro that's 33K an operator. What will that achieve ? What about building and testing logistics, integrating comms ISR, infil exfil , training infrastructure? - even if all of this scaled down should be there in the pilot project in some shape and form? The project is also supposed to test C&C.

Secondly I want these guys to be shooting 300 rounds a week per person really pushing each other to develop better tactics etc?! Right ? All that costs money.

It could be 33k USD

abingdonboy

Country flag

Money has almost nothing to do with it, the question is what is the actual objective and what freedom have they been given by the MoD?

It seems like they are just going through the motions, SOCOM was identified by a committee as necessary along with a cyber and space command but what’s their mission? What is the strategic mandate for Indian SOFs? US SOCOM emerged with a clear mandate after the failure of Operation Eagle Claw. UKSF Command was created because of GWOT

India just seems to be ticking a box and even INSOCOM doesn’t even seem to be a priority, AFSOD will slowly fall away and any lessons learned from it will be consigned to history. You have IAF thinking Garuds are base security and IN sending MARCOs to train with Russian marines for infantry beach landings, I won’t even start on PARA SF.

Until there’s a clear mandate from the very top these things are never going to change.

abingdonboy

Country flag

100% putting the cart before the horse. The first question that has to be asked is what are Indian SFs for in the grand strategy? Everything will flow from that

the reason you see stagnation and misuse of Indian SF is because they are units without clear cut mandated or missions

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
Are the M-4s Marcos used Indian or given by US Seals?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles