Indian Special Forces

shouryav105

Country flag
Can someone tell me if major avinash in his last video with that instructor guy , was shooting in that stance to seprate lower half from upper half for more upper stability during night ops or was it random and also why was he gripping mag weld and not handguard , more commfy ?

JConline

Country flag
Someone said 75th was also involved , not sure how true , but size of team operating looks big so maybe 75th as well
Makes sense that they would. Considering that one of the primary jobs of the 75th Rangers is to provide backup, support and facilitate extraction of SOF elements, it's totally plausible that they would be involved. Moreover, SOF elements wouldnot use such heavy armour for ops. And looking at the amount of fire they came under while moving out, makes sense that 75th was involved.

Saumyasupraik

Country flag
When did the Tier designation change? I was under the assumption it used to be according to readiness and deployability?
Instead, the tier status designates units by their mission capabilities. Tier 1 units typically take on the nation’s high priority missions, while Tier 2 and Tier 3 units perform a larger scale of specialized classified operations.
Special Forces have a Tier status of 3, while the 1st SFOD/Delta Force has a Tier status of 1. The Rangers within the 75th Ranger Regiment have a Tier status of 2, along with the 160th Night Stalkers.
SEALs have a tier status of 3, with the exception of SEAL Team 6, who have a Tier status of 1.
The MARSOC obtains a Tier 2 and Tier 1 status.
Source, article dated 2013.

abingdonboy

Country flag
I believe even basic infantry does the same in Indian army. I have been taught this method in commando school. Nothing new.
Almost every fastrope I’ve seen in india in the last 10++ years has been purely upper body grabbing- even from SFs/NSG. I believe one of those old Rocky and Mayor(?) episodes an IA guy even described this technique. As a result you would almost never see Indian troops using more than one point of contact on a fast rope, I believe this has been consistently changing in the last 5 years starting with SFs/NSG but it’s still not universally applicable

650BB20F-9DB2-44AC-8DBC-D8DD527265D4.jpeg

FEAE0C68-F575-44F6-8939-1348BB7C7C8D.jpeg

8AEEBE2B-50F3-4FD7-9510-FDBC82C6ED75.jpeg

F1C0EA78-6574-43B2-AC00-5582354A53BE.jpeg

89D49E9F-8675-4CC3-9075-AC7A6B40D5B8.jpeg

rkhanna

Country flag
When did the Tier designation change? I was under the assumption it used to be according to readiness and deployability?

Source, article dated 2013.
Don't know about any of this. tiering is not a ranking of skill or priority. Its mission profile. Tier I units are Counter Terrorism units . It is a purely American system which falls to JSOC units.

The danger and nature of the mission profile lent to development of better tactics. That's all.

Waanar

Country flag
last i heard
Cag devgru sad and 160th soar was tier 1 , marsoc seals gb 75th ranger tier 2 ,
Tiers aren't official designations, it's what we civilians use to simplify the hierarchy. By and large, any unit under JSOC is considered "tier 1" and any unit under SOCOM is considered "tier 2".
Outliers (like Force Recon being better trained than regular marines but being refused SOF status because the US Marine Corps doesn't want to let them go or the now disbanded CRIF/CIF arguably being Tier 1 because of their exclusive nature and narrow mission focus) do exist.

Could be said that even non-kinetic units like Psy Ops and Civil Affairs are considered tier 2 because they fall under SOCOM.

To make it simpler, let's just say that the budget and support per man combined with the sensitivity of taskings maketh the tier more than anything else.

shouryav105

Country flag
Tiers aren't official designations, it's what we civilians use to simplify the hierarchy. By and large, any unit under JSOC is considered "tier 1" and any unit under SOCOM is considered "tier 2".
Outliers (like Force Recon being better trained than regular marines but being refused SOF status because the US Marine Corps doesn't want to let them go or the now disbanded CRIF/CIF arguably being Tier 1 because of their exclusive nature and narrow mission focus) do exist.

Could be said that even non-kinetic units like Psy Ops and Civil Affairs are considered tier 2 because they fall under SOCOM.

To make it simpler, let's just say that the budget and support per man combined with the sensitivity of taskings maketh the tier more than anything else.
Screenshot_2022_0711_084259.jpg

shouryav105

Country flag
Source?
Because I know full well that tiers aren't an official designation.
Just read it also says its non existing system used by military , but created by jsoc,
Refer to 2nd paragraph of page and paragraphy above tier 3 units

Waanar

Country flag
Just read it also says its non existing system used by military , but created by jsoc,
Refer to 2nd paragraph of page and paragraphy above tier 3 units
Try to read more stuff from former SOF dudes instead of civilians (I recommend the "General Discharge" YouTube channel). At the very least, they won't push out misinformation about unit structure if it's not sensitive to the big OopSec
Some of these guys (like the author of the article here) usually make up theories in their head and push it out as fact. So, anyways.
Tiers aren't an official classing system and I'm unable to find any verifiable source that claims this system was created by JSOC either. I call bullshit on both claims.

Would love to be corrected if you guys can find any credible source which validates what this article is saying.

Last edited:

rkhanna

Country flag
Try to read more stuff from former SOF dudes instead of civilians (I recommend the "General Discharge" YouTube channel). At the very least, they won't push out misinformation about unit structure if it's not sensitive to the big OopSec
Some of these guys (like the author of the article here) usually make up theories in their head and push it out as fact. So, anyways.
Tiers aren't an official classing system and I'm unable to find any verifiable source that claims this system was created by JSOC either. I call bullshit on both claims.

Would love to be corrected if you guys can find any credible source which validates what this article is saying.
Tiering is an official budgeting classification system thats all. the same way 'operator' is an administrative term.
- It comes from a top down structural thought out process of managing various Mil Assets from a bugetary stand point.

Tier I - Counter Terror Assets - i.e JSOC -
Tier 2 - Wider SOCOM
Tier 3 wider military as far as I can tell.

Its not about capability.

Hollywood has taken thing places.

SOFREP should be the only resource for things American and to an extent NATO

shouryav105

Country flag
IMO AWG and CAG etc are all the same name for SFOD-D
1st SFOD-D , delta force , combat application group , the unit , task force green is the same shit ,I think AWG is a different unit , maybe comprising of some delta elements but different , last I heard us army was shutting it down.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles