Indian Special Forces (archived)

Status
Not open for further replies.

COLDHEARTED AVIATOR

Country flag
Oh well.For all their bravado and shit-talk, they haven't even properly mastered the nuances of basic field crafts it seems.
Their Snipers have been taken out by our MMG nest...they have lost SSG in head on encounter with Para SF that too being on numerical advantage.

So either our surveillance game is strong or they are just bad.

ArgonPrime

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Their Snipers have been taken out by our MMG nest...they have lost SSG in head on encounter with Para SF that too being on numerical advantage.
Forget Para SF, they have been taken out by Ghatak platoons and even regulars sometimes!!Although, the apparent high casualties suffered by our SF operators at the hands of random yahoos in some not so rare instances do call for some questions to be raised regarding their training standards and more importantly, state of mind as well.
So either our surveillance game is strong or they are just bad.
Or both perhaps.

rkhanna

Country flag
Understand that an Ambush is infantry basics 101. And a well executed Ambush can remove the "special" status of anyone. If you walk into a Kill Zone you are well and truely fucked. Seal Team, SSG or Para SF.

I believe we dominate the LOC today due to Superior ELINT, SIGINT and ISR.

COLDHEARTED AVIATOR

Country flag
Understand that an Ambush is infantry basics 101. And a well executed Ambush can remove the "special" status of anyone. If you walk into a Kill Zone you are well and truely fucked. Seal Team, SSG or Para SF.

Ya thats true.... but the encounter that i talked about was not an ambush. 2 Para SF operators tried to cut the SSG advance on towards a Indian post and thats when they made contact. Para sf guys had to run and cut their advance.

indiatester

Country flag

What is ISR?....................

rkhanna

Country flag
Ya thats true.... but the encounter that i talked about was not an ambush. 2 Para SF operators tried to cut the SSG advance on towards a Indian post and thats when they made contact. Para sf guys had to run and cut their advance.
Well a small number of Ambushes are usually static - i.e troops lying in wait of known routes etc when you see build up on the otherside.

Others are in the form of Interdiction. Intelligence allows your soldiers to interdict an OPFOR when they are not aware that their location is blown. MOST of SF ambushes come in this realm.

And as such when you have intel on a group of insurgents you can position your troops favourably along their ingress path (high ground, cover, firepower etc) and interdict at will.

In a way in any melee fight the initiator will always have a higher attrition but the side with superior intelligence will always win. (or better probability at least)

ArgonPrime

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Understand that an Ambush is infantry basics 101. And a well executed Ambush can remove the "special" status of anyone.
I know that man and I wasn't talking about in ambush situation in particular. By the way, can't they use hand held thermal imagers to sniff out ambush parties from a far and turn those hunters into hunted??
If you walk into a Kill Zone you are well and truely fucked. Seal Team, SSG or Para SF.
Units like SEALs/MARCOS with no prior basic infantry training would be especially vulnerable to ambush, much more so than the others, at least in my personal opinion.

Last edited:

rkhanna

Country flag
I know that man and I wasn't talking about in ambush situation in particular. By the way, can't they use hand held thermal imagers to sniff out ambush parties from a far and turn those hunters into hunted??
Ofcourse!! that is why kit is so important. I believe our ISR capability is far superior today. From a Platoon level going up to theater. Hence we should win most of these engagements

Units like SEALs/MARCOS with no prior basic infantry training would be especially vulnerable to ambush, much more so than the others, at least in my opinion.
I have posted an article from SOFREP on just the same.

That is why DevGru never leaves the gate without a Ranger Company Hanging close by for QRT

ArgonPrime

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Ofcourse!! that is why kit is so important. I believe our ISR capability is far superior today. From a Platoon level going up to theater. Hence we should win most of these engagements
That is indeed very comforting to hear, that finally the GoI is paying some attention to the well being of the ordinary Grunt. But are they providing individual operatives/ soldiers with such infrared devices??
And one more question, don't you think they should use steel inserts instead of the ceramic ones, since the later doesn't really provide true multi hit protection, at least not reliably enough since they tend to shatter too easily??!!Is it because of the weight??

I have posted an article from SOFREP on just the same.

That is why DevGru never leaves the gate without a Ranger Company Hanging close by for QRT
I'll look for it.I was basing my hypothesis on the apparent 'sub-par' performance put forth by the MARCOS units operating in valley.

rkhanna

Country flag
But are they providing individual operatives/ soldiers with such infrared devices??
AFAIK atleast front line units Optics have been given (various level of tech generation) atleast 1 or 2 at a Squad Level. At the very least - SF / Ghataks will have them in higher concentration

That is indeed very comforting to hear, that finally the GoI is paying some attention to the well being of the ordinary Grunt. But are they providing individual operatives/ soldiers with such infrared devices??
And one more question, don't you think they should use steel inserts instead of the ceramic ones, since the later doesn't really provide true multi hit protection, at least not reliably enough since they tend to shatter too easily??!!Is it because of the weight??

Body armour is a trickey one

1) our body armour needs serious upgrade - But even post the upgrade (the best Gucci Kit) Armour will still be heavy to be runing up and down the mountains next to the LOC

What we need is a quantum leap in Combat First Aid etc - We lack basic things like quick clot. All we do is a makeshift patch up and then send the poor bloke on a stretch to a helicopter to be sent to base. We have no ability (training) to do battle field surgery/triage in an emergency situation.

I think that is one place that gets left out in prioritizing training..

COLDHEARTED AVIATOR

Country flag
Well a small number of Ambushes are usually static - i.e troops lying in wait of known routes etc when you see build up on the otherside.

Others are in the form of Interdiction. Intelligence allows your soldiers to interdict an OPFOR when they are not aware that their location is blown. MOST of SF ambushes come in this realm.

And as such when you have intel on a group of insurgents you can position your troops favourably along their ingress path (high ground, cover, firepower etc) and interdict at will.

In a way in any melee fight the initiator will always have a higher attrition but the side with superior intelligence will always win. (or better probability at least)
Agree..and ambush is usually with more numerical strength and mostly at a advantageous position.

In that case both were with the SSG and pure skill and tactics were the result of the outcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Global Defence

Articles