Indian Special Forces (archived)

Status
Not open for further replies.

12arya

Country flag
Do you know our defence budget is 3rd largest in the world? Special Forces are strategic assets like Nukes (Im not kidding), The day DEVGRU killed OBL, the whole Al Qaeda network got a big blow throughout the world.

What our SF Should do
1. Surgical Strikes
2. Cross border raids
3. Assassination of HVTs like...
View attachment 65549

What our SF is doing?
1. CICT in Kashmir
2. CICT in North East
completely agree.

I have always wondered y we have not get the above 3 pigs! i guess, the army higher ups refuse to use SF for what they shud ideally do. if our SF can do Surgery without a single casualty then with proper eqiup and funding, they'll get the pigs but no let's kill worthless jihadis! i mean, send the probies for CI/CT job which will give them training; once they earn the balidan badge, nvr use them to hunt baby jihadis.

also, lt.gen. katoch, considers fighting ops like Surgical strikes as last option for SF. as per him, we shud deploy SF in all our areas of interest like baluchistan to train baluchi fighters, organize unrest in places like china and pakiland, cultivate support in afghanistan, wreak havoc behind enemy lines by fuelling unrests and of course neutralize HVT's.

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
What our SF Should do
1. Surgical Strikes
2. Cross border raids
3. Assassination of HVTs like...
View attachment 65549

What our SF is doing?
1. CICT in Kashmir
2. CICT in North East
I agree that is how Special Forces need to be used. The problem, however, is that the politicians are simply unwilling to use Special Forces. If you don't use a tool, it will fall into disrepair.

Although this also reflects poorly on our military leadership 'cause they remain unwilling to let go of the petty parochial turf wars in the top brass. Its their job to keep themselves prepared for ANY eventuality. Yet they are failing to develop Special Forces capabilities that can give crucial sub-conventional options to our politicians in time of crisis. If the politicians don't get served these options they are obviously not going to pick Special Forces as an option.

Personally, I am very interested to know how 2016 Surgical Strikes were proposed on the table to Modi and what was the preference order of the military options proposed by the Service Chiefs themselves. I don't imagine that Modi knew the exact capabilities of Paras. When Para SF were pitched as an option, the military would have presented it as a certain set of missions. Maybe nobody from the military brass has told Modi that it is possible for Indian forces to be evolved to the level where the set of missions Para SF can do expands significantly, thereby increasing the options that Modi can exercise.

Funding is clearly no problem. Its a simple matter of civil bureaucratic apathy, military brass's turf wars and (before Modi came) unwillingness of Prime Ministers to exercise ANY military options.

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
I agree that is how Special Forces need to be used. The problem, however, is that the politicians are simply unwilling to use Special Forces. If you don't use a tool, it will fall into disrepair.

Although this also reflects poorly on our military leadership 'cause they remain unwilling to let go of the petty parochial turf wars in the top brass. Its their job to keep themselves prepared for ANY eventuality. Yet they are failing to develop Special Forces capabilities that can give crucial sub-conventional options to our politicians in time of crisis. If the politicians don't get served these options they are obviously not going to pick Special Forces as an option.

Personally, I am very interested to know how 2016 Surgical Strikes were proposed on the table to Modi and what was the preference order of the military options proposed by the Service Chiefs themselves. I don't imagine that Modi knew the exact capabilities of Paras. When Para SF were pitched as an option, the military would have presented it as a certain set of missions. Maybe nobody from the military brass has told Modi that it is possible for Indian forces to be evolved to the level where the set of missions Para SF can do expands significantly, thereby increasing the options that Modi can exercise.

Funding is clearly no problem. Its a simple matter of civil bureaucratic apathy, military brass's turf wars and (before Modi came) unwillingness of Prime Ministers to exercise ANY military options.
If our SFF is trained and equipped like SAS I am telling you china will pee in its pants. They will remain in fear of a sub tactical operation by SFF against them.

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
If our SFF is trained and equipped like SAS I am telling you china will pee in its pants. They will remain in fear of a sub tactical operation by SFF against them.
Yeah. I get it. But my point is how do we make it happen? We have a government that should be interested in making this happen, 'cause it gives them more leverage and options in regional power plays, which is also good for garnering votes like 2016 Surgical Strikes showed. So why is it not happening now?
Maybe because the Military top brass are failing to advice them properly, and the politicans themselves are noobs in this matter. So how do we bring the fact (that SFF trained an equipped to SAS standard can make China pee in their pants) in the notice of Modi and Rajnath so that they push own from above to make it happen?

Killbot

Country flag
Funding is clearly no problem. Its a simple matter of civil bureaucratic apathy, military brass's turf wars and (before Modi came) unwillingness of Prime Ministers to exercise ANY military options
*before Rawat came.

And Modi has nothing to do with use of the Para SF specifically. The COAS/CDS is who needs to be aware of Para SF's full capabilities. Hence, a Corps of Special Operations is needed within the Army with a DG-Special Operations. It was gonna happen in 90s, but turf war between airborne and SF generals got in the way.

But CDS Rawat has 3000 SF soldiers reporting directly to him, and he is one of the PM's advisors. And Gen Rawat's advisor on Spec Ops is very qualified from the looks of it. And turf wars have mostly been sorted out imo. So, hopefully SOF can be better going forward.

Killbot

Country flag
SFF is a 10000 strong commando (Light Infantry) unit. They don't even report to military brass. Likelihood of them being used is very minimal.

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
*before Rawat came.

And Modi has nothing to do with use of the Para SF specifically. The COAS/CDS is who needs to be aware of Para SF's full capabilities. Hence, a Corps of Special Operations is needed within the Army with a DG-Special Operations. It was gonna happen in 90s, but turf war between airborne and SF generals got in the way.

But CDS Rawat has 3000 SF soldiers reporting directly to him, and he is one of the PM's advisors. And Gen Rawat's advisor on Spec Ops is very qualified from the looks of it. And turf wars have mostly been sorted out imo. So, hopefully SOF can be better going forward.
AFSOD was that change, but the new equipment coming in is also not value for money, as experts on this forum are saying. I had faith in Rawat, but after what I have heard about Theater Commands and AFSOD, I am rapidly losing that faith.

Killbot

Country flag
AFSOD was that change, but the new equipment coming in is also not value for money, as experts on this forum are saying. I had faith in Rawat, but after what I have heard about Theater Commands and AFSOD, I am rapidly losing that faith.
No, AFSOD procurements are certainly not value for money, but they are still very good. Couldn't ask for anything better in terms of quality. And again, it isn't Rawat who selects the equipment, it is the officers in AFSOD.

What is wrong with the theater commands? It looks likely to happen in a few years...

Phantom sierra

Country flag

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
What is wrong with the theater commands? It looks likely to happen in a few years...
Theater Commands are OT, so I'll be brief:-
The Theater Commands that are reportedly being set up are:- Northern Command, Western Command, Peninsular Command, Maritime Command and Air Defence Command. Theater Commands are meant to be integrated tri-service formations. Instead, in this case, Navy will be completely separate in Maritime Command (with token Army and Air Force components in the form of 91st Inf Bde and the two Maritime Strike Squadrons of IAF).
Air Defence Command is being reported to have all assets required not only for Air Defence but also Air Offence. So basically, its just going to be an Air Force Command that controls all assets of Air Force and some assets of Army Air Defence Corps.
Northern, Western and Peninsular Commands will then have no Air Force assets (all of which will be under Air Defence Command) and no Naval assets (all of which will be under Maritime Command).

In other words:-
Army's 7 Commands are being replaced by three: Northern, Western and Peninsular.
Navy's 3 Commands are being replaced by one: Maritime Command.
Air Force's 5 Commands are being replaced by one: Air Defence Command.
There is only token cross-service integration because the Army unit in Western Command calling in air support will still have to rely on another Command: Air Defence Command (which will have all the jets in its control).

This is ridiculous.

India Super Power

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
I don't understand why our sf keep their equipments secret i mean there is very few knowledge and photos regarding their equipments, even highly secretive forces reveal their equipments and trainings.

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
SFF is a 10000 strong commando (Light Infantry) unit. They don't even report to military brass. Likelihood of them being used is very minimal.
No bro, they are all qualified Paratroopers, use Special Forces grade weapons hence they can’t be just called a light infantry unit. They were created as a Special Force and they should be treated like one.

12arya

Country flag
We cannot expect modi or rajnath to know abt SF capabilities; its the job of military advisors to tell the PM what we can do and what it takes to do an OP! But no, our generals have more attachment to their parents units than the greater gud of entire army or SF.
Like every other sphere, jealousy and nepotism is the biggest issue. No body think abt the soldier at the border or behind enemy lines. Its frustrating. Hopefully, a change will happen.

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
We cannot expect modi or rajnath to know abt SF capabilities; its the job of military advisors to tell the PM what we can do and what it takes to do an OP! But no, our generals have more attachment to their parents units than the greater gud of entire army or SF.
Like every other sphere, jealousy and nepotism is the biggest issue. No body think abt the soldier at the border or behind enemy lines. Its frustrating. Hopefully, a change will happen.
To be fair, General Rawat did (is) bring about transformation in this sphere: He does think about the Army as a whole and has initiated many transformations. But for some reason SF capabilities are still lacking. Either despite his best efforts or maybe his own apathy towards SF is to be blamed.
I wonder if we'll ever see a Para SF officer as Chief of Army Staff.

12arya

Country flag

Watch: Indian Army, Navy And Air Force Conduct Special Forces Exercise In A&N Islands Amid Tensions With China

Watch: Indian Army, Navy And Air Force Conduct Special Forces Exercise In A&N Islands Amid Tensions With China

Bull Strike Exercise

The Andaman and Nicobar Command, India’s only tri-service command, conducted a military exercise in the Andaman and Nicobar Islands.

The exercise involved forces from the Andaman and Nicobar Command, elements from the Indian Army’s Parachute Brigade, Navy’s marine commandos (MARCOS) warships, and aircraft of the Indian Air Force.
Called Bull Strike, it was held at the remote island called Teressa, located in the southern part of Andaman and Nicobar island chain.

As part of this exercise, Para commandos were flown in from the mainland on a C-130J transport aircraft of the Indian Air Force.

Para commandos flown in from the mainland on an IAF C-130J.

Para commandos flown in from the mainland on an IAF C-130J.
Forces demonstrated amphibious landing capabilities as part of the exercise.

The exercise was held between 3 and 5 November.

This development comes at a time when India is holding the Malabar Naval Exercise with the US, Japan and Australia. The first phase of the Malabar Exercise concluded on 5 November in the Bay of Bengal. The second phase will begin later this month in the Arabian Sea. The naval exercise has brought the Quad countries together for a wargame for the first time in over a decade.

Both these exercises are significant as tensions between India and China are worsening over the ongoing standoff in eastern Ladakh.

Beijing’s ties with the US, Australia and Japan are also under strain due to its aggressive military posture in the South China Sea, trade issues, and efforts to block investigations into the origin of Covid-19.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Articles