Indian Special Forces (archived)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Assassin 2.0

Country flag
You sure the ones in the model 1974 helmets were SFs? Even the infantry in the same display had ACHs besides these guys had AKs not Tavors/M4s.
Yes the person who was doing commentary clearly said see how special forces attack inside enemy territory. And when the time come to end the special forces operation these guy's were also extracted by helicopters.

COLDHEARTED AVIATOR

Country flag
The IA has a big budget mismanagement.Dont expect any major transformation in short future.

The economy is very very far from being a 5 trillion economy.

The scale of modernisation required by all branches is massive and hence everything will be steady but slow.

Deathstar

Country flag
The IA has a big budget mismanagement.Dont expect any major transformation in short future.

The economy is very very far from being a 5 trillion economy.

The scale of modernisation required by all branches is massive and hence everything will be steady but slow.
Yup we dont suffer cz of money but mismanagement. Red tapisms, babudom , duplication , corruption , wastage and incomplete use of funds, ad hoc procurements etc etc etc

COLDHEARTED AVIATOR

Country flag
Yup we dont suffer cz of money but mismanagement. Red tapisms, babudom , duplication , corruption , wastage and incomplete use of funds, ad hoc procurements etc etc etc
I dont like the mindset of IA officer.They have no idea about selling assets to become more well equipped.

Like so much land they have which they could sell but no...the Raj mindset should not go.

Excess troops in every formation...so much unnecessary salary paid by the government.

Not very different from AI mindset.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag

claussius

Country flag

Waanar

Country flag
Can you explain a little about Nods vs Nvgs
and highlight pros and cons of single ,double and quad tube ,
I read somewhere that they bother with depth perception .
Is it better to have a mixture of quad and dual tube Nvgs in the team ?
And how long can one work using them without getting a Headache (my assumption)?
NODs and NVGs are basically the same thing, but NODs refer to gun mounted night vision opticals as well and not just helmet mounted "goggles".
Single tube doesn't offer any depth perception because it feeds image into a single eye. The other single tube NVG which feeds into both eyes does offer negligible depth perception. Dual tube allows you to see give-or-take 50 degrees FOV and far better depth perception while Panaromic NVG (Quad tube) allows a 100 degree FOV with similar depth perception as dual tube.
It is best to have EVERYONE with Quad tube but budget won't allow that so Dual tube works too. No, if you can equip everyone with Quad tube, I don't see any reason to make a composite of Quad and Dual tube NVG equipping the team.

Most modern NVGs allow brightness adjustment so headache (AFAIK) is not too much of a concern. Main trouble is eyes getting red and dried due to the heat generated by the NVGs on longer use.

Trivial fact- NVG doesn't blind you in a lit room like they show in the movies. You can just raise your head back a little and peek under the NVG if you suddenly enter a lit room where your device is useless.

Gessler

Country flag
Can you explain a little about Nods vs Nvgs
They're basically the same. Though NVG can be particularly used to denote systems worn on the head, whereas the terms NOD (night observation device) or NVD (night vision device) can be used interchangeably to denote any NV system (whether head-mounted, weapon-mounted or carried hand-held in a standalone way).

and highlight pros and cons of single ,double and quad tube ,
I read somewhere that they bother with depth perception .
It's chiefly to do with how big a Field of View (FoV) you're getting. And as FoV gets better, perception of depth certainly gets better with it.

A simplified view of the effect of greater FoV -

With a smaller FoV, you have to move your head around a lot more to observe the entirety of your surroundings, which significantly slows down such activities as room-clearing, while increasing the likelihood of not seeing & responding to threats soon enough.

Is it better to have a mixture of quad and dual tube Nvgs in the team ?
If you can afford it, its quad for everyone. If you can't, then yes it might make sense to have the first two guys who enter a room to clear it have Quads and everyone else whatever run-of-the-mill system they can afford.

And how long can one work using them without getting a Headache (my assumption)?
It's highly subjective - can't be the same for everyone. And typically, it gets better over time. Just like when getting used to new glasses.

Gessler

Country flag
Thanx,
One more question , how does it compare with infra red or thermal imaging? ,as follows:
View attachment 42634 View attachment 42635 View attachment 42636
I saw it first a few yrs ago in documentary on gir lions , and immediately thought if this can be used by SF.

Does it provide any pros over the current quad nvgs ?
Yes, Thermal Imaging (TI) is already used extensively by the militaries of the world (both SFs and regulars). The general rule of thumb is that TI is more useful for locating concealed or obscured targets whereas normal night vision (technically called Image-Intensification or I2) is more useful in more menial things like navigation as well.

Navigation with TI is very difficult - you could be looking at a 40-foot drop at the edge of a cliff and wouldn't see it if there isn't much of a temperature variance between the top & bottom of the cliff (and unless your TI is tuned to be sensitive to that variance), as TI uses only the radiating heat from any target compared to its surroundings in order to make that distinction.

I2 uses already-present ambient light (stars, moon, etc.) and amplifies it so you can see such terrain features in the same way as you would in daytime (light bouncing off the object and into your eyes).

Both have their pros & cons and it would take quite a bit of time to go through them all.

+++

More recently, advancements in NV tech have lead to 'fused' output. Where a Thermal signature that falls within the targeted gradient (typically the temp of human body heat) can be overlaid on top of an otherwise normal I2 green phosphor screen. Giving the wearer both the pros, but seemingly none of the cons, of either methodology.

A production example would be the ENVG (AN/PSQ-20) of US Army, or its binocular cousin the ENVG-B:

Companies like L3 Harris/EOTech which are at cutting edge of night vision are also incorporating such 'thermal overlays' into quad-nods as well, this is the latest version of the GPNVG-18, with the TI component in the middle:

Tonbo is also getting into this, though not with their head or weapon-mounted solutions as of yet (only on standalone, tripod-mounted optics).

Also second image is opposite of first means hotter objects are darker ,while in first hotter objects are brighter.
Yes, typical white hot/black hot setting. You also get a rainbow scale (red=hot, blue=cold) and multiple other modes. The 'colors' in TI are all digital so it all depends on software & programming -

Unlike in I2 night vision where the 'color' depends on the phosphor screen (green phosphor is most common though white also exists and is typically considered better than green).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles