Indian Special Forces (archived)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Unless you are in or was a member of Armed forces, To know about something, better share ..

If you have stories heard, I suggest keep that to yourself ..

Sorry, but no matter who this 4th Para Former officer is, he has no clue. To call the Para the best of the best is one thing but to call the SFF and SG lazy is completely another. This is utter bs. SFF/SG are constantly training too, SFF since day 1 were given higher priority, they were the 1st to be given Tavors/ Laser designators, they were the ones in Kargil guiding LGB strikes on enemy positions. Just because they are working closely with RAW on secret missions doesn't mean they are not busy training the whole time. SFF training is more rounded i.e they have extensive training in Amphibious/ Jungle/ Mountain and asymmetric warfare, they are similar in their functioning/role/structure to the Green Berets and they will be the much needed force multipliers in any war with China/Pak. They speak local languages, they will be instrumental in training and leading local resistant guerillas into fighting the enemy. Actually in the way the SFF is organized and run, it remains the most suitable SF force for strategic intel based ops behind enemy lines.

Even today, the SFF/SG are using SCARs/P-90s and other advanced weaponry, they also take part in CT ops. Most of what they do is beyond the knowledge of regular SF. They are currently occupied with quiet ops in tracking/killing militants in the east.
True, I understand various SF units often make claims about each other without much knowledge of what specific the other bring to the table. All this needs to be put to rest with the formation of the Special Ops command with teams from Elite Garuds/ Marcos/ SF/ Paras coming to-gether with NSG's phantoms to take on the toughest missions.
Compare to Para SF, they are what??

Immanuel

Country flag
Unless you are in or was a member of Armed forces, To know about something, better share ..

If you have stories heard, I suggest keep that to yourself ..

Sorry but what gutter logic is this? Are you more believable just coz you are in the armed forces, I am not reciting stories but mere facts. To compare SF units tasked for completely different roles is silly.

blueblood

Is it correct that SFF are Tibetans, or only true ca. 1962?
SFF is mostly comprised of Tibetans with one unit comprising of Gorkha members and a subunit called Special Group, entirely Indian manned unit.

Officers can be both Tibetan as well as Indian.

mikhail

Country flag
Bengaluru, Feb 21: Every visitor who steps into the Air Force Station Yelahanka is curious to know about a group of mighty men moving around in a blue open gypsy. Their camouflage attire, killer looks and mean weapons are being admired by every aviation aficionado flocking the show.
If the Breitling Wingwalkers have stolen the hearts of plane people at Aero India with their mesmerising sky party skills, on ground, the Special Forces of the Indian Air Force - Garuds - have caught the imagination of thousands who stop by to take a closer look at these men who appear to be from a different planet!

At Aero India 2015, the Garuds, which otherwise have an offensive charter like most Special Forces, play the role of contingency response specific to counter terror threats.
Tough selection process
Sources tell OneIndia that around 15 per cent of the total strength who hit the selection line to become a Garud makes the final cut. Formed in 2003, under the Directorate of Offensive Operations, the Gaurds have become a formidable force with their wings spread all over India.
Garud officers are drawn from the pool of personnel who voluntarily opt from all branches of the IAF, to tow this demanding career line. The airmen are a mix of volunteers and direct recruits.
The selection process of volunteers is a grueling physical and mental ordeal spread over a period of a few days.

Tactical training modules
On completing the selection process, a potential candidate is put through three months of probation where he is trained and checked on a variety of mental, physical and a host of specialized soldiering skills.
The tactical phase of three months trains a candidate in SF skills, tactics, survival modules, heliborne training, martial arts and a variety of other special operations enablement.
Those who successfully clear the probation phase (which are a very few in number) move on to undergo further training in the tactical module, paratrooping, combat swimming and driving. On completion of this basic training, a candidate earns his prized Commando Badge and Maroon Beret deeming him to be a qualified SF operative. Thus, a Garud is born.
Those who were part of the formative years of the Garuds were trained for over two-and-a-half-years with stints abroad as well. Sources now disclose that the training is now spread over 74 weeks at the Garud School near New Delhi.
Further specialized training in a variety of other fields is undertaken at the respective units.
Every trooper qualifies in one SF skill which includes either the use of explosives, communication, battle-field medicine and weapons. Additional role-specific training is also given at various stages of a Garud's career.

Best of the best weapons
A family of Tavor rifles form the integral part of a Garud's arsenal. These are complimented with additional weapons like snipers, rocket-launchers, heavy machine guns and grenade launchers. A pick of the pack is the baby Glock pistol concealed in the tactical vest.
Sources said that a Garud also carries a variety of navigation, surveillance, communication gadgets and explosives to undertake missions. At Aero India, the Garuds have equipment sized up for their tasks for mission optimization.
Roles specific to aviation environment
While not much of details are made public on Garuds, most roles are offensive operations specific to the aviation environment.
Among the roles are combat search and rescue, laser designation of targets, recon, surveillance and destruction. Like most other SF the security concerns of the nation see them employed in various counter-terror roles also.
At the unit level, training for roles includes long day and night speed marches, navigation, exhaustive weapon and skill training.

Yoga, martial arts give them an edge
To preserve longevity, the Garuds also practice yoga and martial arts. They are also encouraged to enhance military qualifications through a variety of adventure activities and courses.
The Garuds are the youngest of the SFs in the country. The IAF, realizing the potential of the Garuds, has ensured that this organisation has grown to a level of a formidable operational stature.
There are many misconceptions about the role of the Gaurds. However, like many air force SFs across the globe, the Garuds are created to operate deep behind enemy lines.
"Myths don't matter, mission accomplishment does," whispers a Garud.
Photos: A Veeramani
(Photos shot exclusively for OneIndia and Tarmak007 with clearances from the Indian Air Force.)
OneIndia Special: IAF Garuds impress visitors with their mean machines and killer looks - Oneindia

karn

Country flag
Garuds are the only formation in India to follow the "rule of cool".

blueblood

It is amazing that some people here and at the paki forum are bad mouthing some particular Indian SFs. Garuds are novices and SFF are not experienced. My simple question is "How the fvck do you know ?"

Who developed the selection procedure and training regime for the Garuds? Most likely Para SF or MARCOS or any other unit or do we in our infinite wisdom assume that a bunch of IAF officers one day decided to train other officers about the kind of warfare (Spec Ops) they are completely unfamiliar with?

Just because their mandate is different doesn't necessarily mean they are glorified base watchmen. Their mandate also includes CSAR, combat controllers, destruction of enemy assets on the ground and I wouldn't be surprised if it also includes pararesque.

How many of us can differentiate between a Gorkha, a Sikkimese, a Tibetan or a Laddakhi just by looking at a man's face especially in uniform? SFF do not work under the buffoons of MOD and that alone should be a factor. Only a handful of pics are available on the net of SFF and almost none of them are modern. Judging a unit whose pics you don't see, whose videos you don't watch and whose articles you never read and whose very existence is denied by the government is so so stupid.

The only two people I know who claimed to have served in SFF is R Rudranarsimhan (who is super weird and quite possibly be a phony) and an ex-officer whose pic I found and tracked him on the facebook and never received any reply. Only one from Special Group i.e. Late Maj. Udai Singh.

Rant off.

abingdonboy

Country flag
It is amazing that some people here and at the paki forum are bad mouthing some particular Indian SFs. Garuds are novices and SFF are not experienced. My simple question is "How the fvck do you know ?"

Who developed the selection procedure and training regime for the Garuds? Most likely Para SF or MARCOS or any other unit or do we in our infinite wisdom assume that a bunch of IAF officers one day decided to train other officers about the kind of warfare (Spec Ops) they are completely unfamiliar with?

Just because their mandate is different doesn't necessarily mean they are glorified base watchmen. Their mandate also includes CSAR, combat controllers, destruction of enemy assets on the ground and I wouldn't be surprised if it also includes pararesque.
No doubt the Garuds are highly trained and will perform well in any task given to them, I don't doubt their training one bit. However the way they carry themselves is something I do question because it isn't in line with how SFs are meant to behave i.e. they are not meant to be standing grinning and posing in selfies, these are meant to be the quiet professionals (a term given to US SF but applied to SFs the world over). The PARA (SF) and MARCOs shy away from all publicity where possible, the Garuds do to an extent but what I see them doing at these Aero India shows is not in line with what they should be doing.

As an elite, no nonsense and deadly force they should present themselves as such.

karn

Country flag
No doubt the Garuds are highly trained and will perform well in any task given to them, I don't doubt their training one bit. However the way they carry themselves is something I do question because it isn't in line with how SFs are meant to behave i.e. they are not meant to be standing grinning and posing in selfies, these are meant to be the quiet professionals (a term given to US SF but applied to SFs the world over). The PARA (SF) and MARCOs shy away from all publicity where possible, the Garuds do to an extent but what I see them doing at these Aero India shows is not in line with what they should be doing.

As an elite, no nonsense and deadly force they should present themselves as such.
Well... as far as perceptions go .. I have seen videos of Garuds with styling gel in their hair and have they seem to have an affinity for "cool looking" sunglasses . Ask anyone in the army about the garuds , they just chuckle .
Perhaps I am just biased I just doubt the ability of anyone that follows the rule of cool as they say . Contrast this with pictures of soldiers and police doing actual CI work you will understand what I mean.

Last edited:

sydsnyper

Country flag
That may just be an air force thing... I remember in NCC, we used to be envious of their ease of life.... many like me even wished we traveled a few kilometers more to enroll in the Air Corps.. :p :p :p

Well... as far as perceptions go .. I have seen videos of Garuds with styling gel in their hair and have they seem to have an affinity for "cool looking" sunglasses . Ask anyone in the army about the garuds , they just chuckle .
Perhaps I am just biased I just doubt the ability of anyone that follows the rule of cool as they say . Contrast this with pictures of soldiers and police doing actual CI work you will understand what I mean.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles