Indian Special Forces (archived)

Status
Not open for further replies.

abingdonboy

Country flag
blueblood's question about the NSG vid got me thinking. Could it be, that the guys shown in the following pic are actually from the teh secret 'Phantom unit' that Maj Gen Moni Chandi was talking about ? :hmm: wild guess, but what say ??

Quoting from your post:
Indian Special Forces - Page 165
I don't know, the NSG and Special Group are two separate entities. The video clearly mentions these are Special Group so I'm skeptical that the "Phantom" unit has anything to do with SG until proven otherwise.

blueblood

I don't know, the NSG and Special Group are two separate entities. The video clearly mentions these are Special Group so I'm skeptical that the "Phantom" unit has anything to do with SG until proven otherwise.
@cobra commando, it actually makes sense. IMO, the "classified location" mentioned could very well be Chakrata. Considering the sheer amount of media attention PARAs have received I don't think they are the ones running the above mentioned "classified location". But that's just my armchair opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:

mseven

Off topic:
Can't wait to see MSMCs with our SFs! I do believe they are better than Uzis. They should have gone for bottom anf side p-rails for a vertical grip instead of the stock grip.

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
Today i had a chat with a Former SF operator from 4th Para at our local gym,who after clearing ACC or some entry like that had now serving in 2nd Naga stationed in culcutta.At the time of clearing the SSB ,he was above 30 years so he couldn't be reinducted into PARA as officer.
He told me about many things in SF.
Some of them are ;Para doesn't consider SG or any of the SFF unit any way near them in performance because SFF lacks the extent of continous training PARAS undergo also the level of exposure PARAs are getting in CT ops.The reason he sited is that as SFF is meant for secret missions and a result of that they are lazy to engage in the type of excercises and trainig done by PARA.Where as PARA which is performing just like any infantry unit daily exercises are a must.
He told me only in papers they seem to be the best among indian SFs but in reality PARAs are way ahead of them.
He admitted that SFF sports the equipment which no other unit has it its arsenal.But as a reason for that he said that still SFF gets american funding contrary to the common belief that it was ended long time back.
Also he told me any willing candidate from any army unit could attend the SFF selection.But they are meant for secret missions so no one could boast about serving it.
@Kunal now i agree with your claim that PKs used by IA are captured ones because he told me army never bought it.All were captured ones long time back,but are excellent weapons compared with bren or FN-MAG used by regulars.
In case of VZs too you were right.Sorry again.He told me most of the VZs were transferred to RR or regulars.Only few are retained and kept in reserve.Para SF preferref VZ58s much better than AK due to its light weight and VZs were far better in terms of recoil reduction.Also after the tavors came it was the preferred one because of the less recoil and accuracy.And AKs of regular PARA were replaced with VZ from SF.Something like that he said.Well i didnt heard it clearly.

Well all the above said things were from the chat i had today with that soldier.So excuse me if i am wrong.

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
But he mentioned vz58 as something like M58 confirmed it after seeing the pic of VZ58,.He said it is engraved as M58 in the weapon.also he said those were bought from israel and not from checkoslovakia.I dont know may be those were the surplus from S-13s arsenal as israeli SF were using VZ58s and AKs in 70s and 80s before M4s were inducted.May be because of that indians too were using the combo of VZ and AKs.
Any way that were just my wild guess.:p

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
With thhose glowes in their hands how are they expected to fire the weapon?

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
Couple of days before i had a chance to visit the Parachute training centre at Bangalore.There were both SF guys and also PARA TA guys from 106 TA.And all of the TA guys were spotted with flying wings in their chest.On inquiring they told me that just like regular PARA guys they too need to undergo PARA jumping.They were armed with AKMs and most of them were very young.

abingdonboy

Country flag
Couple of days before i had a chance to visit the Parachute training centre at Bangalore.There were both SF guys and also PARA TA guys from 106 TA.And all of the TA guys were spotted with flying wings in their chest.On inquiring they told me that just like regular PARA guys they too need to undergo PARA jumping.They were armed with AKMs and most of them were very young.
Of course bro, it would hardly make sense for them to be "PARAs" (TA or not) without being para jump qualified.

Immanuel

Country flag
Today i had a chat with a Former SF operator from 4th Para at our local gym,who after clearing ACC or some entry like that had now serving in 2nd Naga stationed in culcutta.At the time of clearing the SSB ,he was above 30 years so he couldn't be reinducted into PARA as officer.
He told me about many things in SF.
Some of them are ;Para doesn't consider SG or any of the SFF unit any way near them in performance because SFF lacks the extent of continous training PARAS undergo also the level of exposure PARAs are getting in CT ops.The reason he sited is that as SFF is meant for secret missions and a result of that they are lazy to engage in the type of excercises and trainig done by PARA.Where as PARA which is performing just like any infantry unit daily exercises are a must.
He told me only in papers they seem to be the best among indian SFs but in reality PARAs are way ahead of them.
He admitted that SFF sports the equipment which no other unit has it its arsenal.But as a reason for that he said that still SFF gets american funding contrary to the common belief that it was ended long time back.
Also he told me any willing candidate from any army unit could attend the SFF selection.But they are meant for secret missions so no one could boast about serving it.
@Kunal now i agree with your claim that PKs used by IA are captured ones because he told me army never bought it.All were captured ones long time back,but are excellent weapons compared with bren or FN-MAG used by regulars.
In case of VZs too you were right.Sorry again.He told me most of the VZs were transferred to RR or regulars.Only few are retained and kept in reserve.Para SF preferref VZ58s much better than AK due to its light weight and VZs were far better in terms of recoil reduction.Also after the tavors came it was the preferred one because of the less recoil and accuracy.And AKs of regular PARA were replaced with VZ from SF.Something like that he said.Well i didnt heard it clearly.

Well all the above said things were from the chat i had today with that soldier.So excuse me if i am wrong.
Sorry, but no matter who this 4th Para Former officer is, he has no clue. To call the Para the best of the best is one thing but to call the SFF and SG lazy is completely another. This is utter bs. SFF/SG are constantly training too, SFF since day 1 were given higher priority, they were the 1st to be given Tavors/ Laser designators, they were the ones in Kargil guiding LGB strikes on enemy positions. Just because they are working closely with RAW on secret missions doesn't mean they are not busy training the whole time. SFF training is more rounded i.e they have extensive training in Amphibious/ Jungle/ Mountain and asymmetric warfare, they are similar in their functioning/role/structure to the Green Berets and they will be the much needed force multipliers in any war with China/Pak. They speak local languages, they will be instrumental in training and leading local resistant guerillas into fighting the enemy. Actually in the way the SFF is organized and run, it remains the most suitable SF force for strategic intel based ops behind enemy lines.

Even today, the SFF/SG are using SCARs/P-90s and other advanced weaponry, they also take part in CT ops. Most of what they do is beyond the knowledge of regular SF. They are currently occupied with quiet ops in tracking/killing militants in the east.

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
Bro i told so because i thought that PARA TA units were just PARA in name only as MS DHONI was not a Para qualified plus 106 is a TA so i neverthought it will be anything like a regular PARA until i visited the centre.

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
Buddy i already mentioned it above that i just wrote what he said.If i met him any time soon i will come up with lot more specifics .This is not the first time PARA guys giving not much praises for SFF/SG.If you go through any other firums like BR or PDF you could read similar ones.I think thats because of any ego clash between the diferent units just like SEALS and DELTA will never acknowledge the other one is better than them.

Immanuel

Country flag
True, I understand various SF units often make claims about each other without much knowledge of what specific the other bring to the table. All this needs to be put to rest with the formation of the Special Ops command with teams from Elite Garuds/ Marcos/ SF/ Paras coming to-gether with NSG's phantoms to take on the toughest missions.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Compare to PARA SF, They are ..

Sorry, but no matter who this 4th Para Former officer is, he has no clue. To call the Para the best of the best is one thing but to call the SFF and SG lazy is completely another. This is utter bs. SFF/SG are constantly training too,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Global Defence

Articles