Indian Special Forces (archived)

Status
Not open for further replies.

elite member

Indian army doesn't have better dedicated sniper weapon even our Western neighbor have better sniper weapons due to better interaction to american small arms /tactics, due to afgan crisis who give more emphasis to neutralize threat at max possible range to avoid any friendly losses .

anupamsurey

Country flag
indian army doesn't have better dedicated sniper weapon even our western neighbor have better sniper weapons due to better interaction to american small arms /tactics, due to afgan crisis who give more emphasis to neutralize threat at max possible range to avoid any friendly losses .
and you got this news from which source?
Snipers are integral part of special forces...and our army has a range from druganov svds- to barretta .50cal

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
But coompared with the level of importance given for Sniping in western forces we are way behind.

abingdonboy

Country flag
Something I posted on PDF but would like as wide an audience as possible:

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=844325122293400

This is believable- there's nothing special about the Tavor in India these days and the SFF were the first unit to get these weapons

It is this picture that raises a lot of questions:

I had been quick to right this off as another foreign unit that they had put into this video on SFF- this happens a lot on these sort of Indian Military videos.

However looking closer at the picture did give me some doubts-

1)that door looks very Indian, I can't think of anywhere else that I would expect to find one that looked like that.

2) The use of single tube face worn (not helmet mounted) NVGs that the majority of the West has long since moved away from and the only units I have seen wearing these in recent years are the PARA (SF) and Garuds

3) I don't know what they are called but if you look at the boots of the operators you can see a green/camo strip, I don't know the purpose of these things but I have noticed this practice is quite commonplace in Indian units (could be with others too but I've only noticed Indian units doing this).

And just as an aside, and doesn't mean much really the orange walls and door reminded me of one of the NSG's kill houses in Mansear:

(a meaningless detail but, perhaps, worth pointing out)

I'll still need some convincing that an Indian unit operates the FN SCAR though but I can't decide one way or the other right now.

@boris @cobra commando @Kunal Biswas @ghost @ALBY @Singh @KS @Ray @Blackwater and others thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:

ghost

This is believable- there's nothing special about the Tavor in India these days and the SFF were the first unit to get these weapons

I had been quick to right this off as another foreign unit that they had put into this video on SFF- this happens a lot on these sort of Indian Military videos.

1)that door looks very Indian, I can't think of anywhere else that I would expect to find one that looked like that.

2) The use of single tube face worn (not helmet mounted) NVGs that the majority of the West has long since moved away from and the only units I have seen wearing these in recent years are the PARA (SF) and Garuds

3) I don't know what they are called but if you look at the boots of the operators you can see a green/camo strip, I don't know the purpose of these things but I have noticed this practice is quite commonplace in Indian units (could be with others too but I've only noticed Indian units doing this).

And just as an aside, and doesn't mean much really the orange walls and door reminded me of one of the NSG's kill houses in Mansear:

I'll still need some convincing that an Indian unit operates the FN SCAR though but I can't decide one way or the other right now.

@boris @cobra commando @Kunal Biswas @ghost @ALBY @Singh @KS @Ray @Blackwater and others thoughts?

Sir,

The production quality of this video is very high,along with the commentary this seem to be a professionally made documentary.All the information seem to be accurate and detailed,there are many never ever seen before photos which are not available in public domain.Hence, I am convinced everything shown is authentic.

Still few points.

1 When they are telling about different units(vikaas) of SFF ,they show each unit photo which are authentic.When they mention SPECIAL GROUP at 14:00 they show the very same men in black in a different pose,as all other units photos are authentic (easily recognized )there is no question of this photo of not being authentic and still being used in two place.

2 We all know that SG is the most elite unit and they get the best equipment and weapons,so a FN SCAR should not be surprising.

The guy on extreme right is operating a scar as per my guess due to rifle stock,plus check out the sights they are the same as used in the photo below.Plus same nvg on both the photos show similarity of gear.

Hence this photo is authentic and these are Indian forces SFF to be precise.I also got to know one more thing from this video,SFF is the force and vikaas are different sub units under it Special group being one of them.

abingdonboy

Country flag
Sir,

The production quality of this video is very high,along with the commentary this seem to be a professionally made documentary.All the information seem to be accurate and detailed,there are many never ever seen before photos which are not available in public domain.Hence, I am convinced everything shown is authentic.

Still few points.

1 When they are telling about different units(vikaas) of SFF ,they show each unit photo which are authentic.When they mention SPECIAL GROUP at 14:00 they show the very same men in black in a different pose,as all other units photos are authentic (easily recognized )there is no question of this photo of not being authentic and still being used in two place.

2 We all know that SG is the most elite unit and they get the best equipment and weapons,so a FN SCAR should not be surprising.

The guy on extreme right is operating a scar as per my guess due to rifle stock,plus check out the sights they are the same as used in the photo below.Plus same nvg on both the photos show similarity of gear.

Hence this photo is authentic and these are Indian forces SFF to be precise.I also got to know one more thing from this video,SFF is the force and vikaas are different sub units under it Special group being one of them.
I'm still skeptical sir but you make some very valid points

Another pic of "Special Group":

jmj_overlord

the picture shows one of them using a fn scar....does indian special forces have them in their inventory ? and also i thought only the the special protection group uses f2000 in india....

ghost

the picture shows one of them using a fn scar....does indian special forces have them in their inventory ? and also i thought only the the special protection group uses f2000 in india....
Sir,

They are supposed to be SFF(special group unit) ,these are most elite,well equipped and covert forces of India.So their inventory is not known in public domain for the obvious reasons,that video contain some of the never seen before photos of SFF.I believe what I see ,because whatever I have known about it has been shown and told accurately, so I have no reason to believe that other things which I didn't knew or have not seen before are not accurate @abingdonboy sir,please post some more screen shots ,particularly of the different sub units of SFF along with their names.I think this video was made on the occasion of golden jubilee of SFF for the SFF ,someone from the SFF or close ties with an SFF personal has provided the video to the poster on facebook or he himself is SFF member.

PS: SFF had m14 assault rifle as their standard issue in the earlier days unlike any other force in India,they also had m60 machine gunOPERATION EAGLE 1971 AND VIETNAM WAR | Bhavanajagat

boris

Country flag
I did see that documentary and seeing those two pics buzzed the same question in my mind, the moment I saw your question on pdf, I sent the photo to a retired senior para(SF) officer I know, awaiting his reply as he has posted pics of him skydiving with the SFF at chakrata, I had also talked about SG and its possible role in the recent Indians go to slot Dawood rumor.

I also shared some of the observations you had with regards to the single tube nvgs,camo boots, the door etc. There are some other things I noticed about them that looked very Indian-:

1) Notice the similarity of helmets of the supposed SG operators,NSG commandos and MARCOS. Doesn't the black cloth and its wrapping look very similar.
2) Their SMG is the P-90, remember the SPG uses them too, it is quite possible that the SG might have liked the P-90 and inducted it.
3) The first pic see the knife the operator has strapped on his right leg, the design of the case looks very similar to a Muela knife I own, the same knife is used by the Garuds.

If FN is supplying f2000,p90 and fiveseven pistols, I am pretty sure some of the folks at SG might try the SCAR given that it saw service with the Rangers and SEALs in Afghanistan(although it was SCAR-L model used mostly by marksmen).

Lets see what the officer tells me.

Oh btw, do me a favor:

1)Cold Hearted wrote that SG is also known as Vikas regt on pdf, please correct him, they are completely different parts of SFF.
2) Direct Action wanted to know about the Polish unit. It isn't GROM it is JW Komandosow, which the Poles have modeled on the US Green Berets(and the Aussie SASR) since that unit conducted FID missions in Afghanistan. GROM is a CT force based on Delta,JW AGAT on the Rangers,JW Formoza on the SEALs and finally JW Nil.

blueblood

I can't thank you enough for this post. :hug: I have been searching for some SFF pics for a long time now. The video also somewhat confirmed the rumours I gathered over the years.

1) SFF is the best paratrooper force in the country and now it seems in the world.

2) Vikas numbers are the numbers of regiments, I think. 5th Vikas participated in Kargil.

3) It has been mentioned earlier that SFF calls the shot when purchase of equipment for special forces is considered.

4) Despite the fact that creator of the video took some stuff from here and there the pics you pointed are definitely genuine. Just take a look at the height of the men. Had it been any other western or Indian force I think they would be taller.

abingdonboy

Country flag
Just when you thought that you've seen everything (Para's rolling with teh Tavors & sh!t), BAAAM ! out comes the pic of tibetan ? SFF dudes with teh SCAR. :notbad:
SFF is a mix of Tibetans and PARA (SF) (the officers). But SG is made up almost entirely of Indian SF and the ones with the SCAR were SG.

+ I'm more surprised by the NSG's dramatic modernisation post 26/11 than the Paras with Tavors. The Paras still have a LONG way to go as far as modernisation goes.

cobra commando

Tharki regiment
Country flag
SFF is a mix of Tibetans and PARA (SF) (the officers). But SG is made up almost entirely of Indian SF and the ones with the SCAR were SG.

+ I'm more surprised by the NSG's dramatic modernisation post 26/11 than the Paras with Tavors. The Paras still have a LONG way to go as far as modernisation goes.

Yeah, about the NSG. One stupid kweshon Saar: why is it, that the NSG guys are stuck with SMGs wonly? bhai assault rifles kharedne ke liye paise nehi bache kya ?? :dude:

Blackwater

i think kunal is the right person to comment

abingdonboy

Country flag
Yeah, about the NSG. One stupid kweshon Saar: why is it, that the NSG guys are stuck with SMGs wonly? bhai assault rifles kharedne ke liye paise nehi bache kya ?? :dude:
SMGs remain the choice of weapon for CQB across the world. Since 26/11 the NSG has started to induct more 5.56mm chambered Assault rifles (SIG-552/3s) and in every NSG strike team made up of 8-10 operators( called a "HIT") there will 1-2 guys with a SIG-552/3. However I think the 9mm of the Mp-5 is too small in the modern age. The NSG would defend its position by saying in the close quarters they operate their operators can put two rounds in the head of any bad guy but we don't know where the NSG could be employed in the future. It could be a mall, a embassy, a stadium etc etc and the engagement ranges may be greater than they have expected.

I don't see why the NSG haven't gone for the X-95 by now, it is small, lightweight and fires the 5.56mm round. 10,000s of these are in service with Indian central and state police forces, why can't a few thousand be ordered for the NSG? It isn't a question of funds (the NSG post 26/11 has practically replaced every Mp-5 it had in service with a newer variant of the Mp-5 with P-rails and such and the NSG's budget was recently quadrupled anyway) but more about the tradition and ethos of the NSG, the MP-5 has been their standard issue weapon for decades now and their entire methodology is built around it.

I hope things change in the future as having the majority of their operators with the Mp-5 is a potential recipe for disaster.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
SCAR is a very good choice, Better than those M4 in PARA`s Service ..

Scar is operational in many forces including Kenya, It is not very surprising to see this in Indian hands ..

I can only hope to see Scar in Para sf instead of M4 ..

i think kunal is the right person to comment

nik22

Sir,

They are supposed to be SFF(special group unit) ,these are most elite,well equipped and covert forces of India.So their inventory is not known in public domain for the obvious reasons,that video contain some of the never seen before photos of SFF.I believe what I see ,because whatever I have known about it has been shown and told accurately, so I have no reason to believe that other things which I didn't knew or have not seen before are not accurate @abingdonboy sir,please post some more screen shots ,particularly of the different sub units of SFF along with their names.I think this video was made on the occasion of golden jubilee of SFF for the SFF ,someone from the SFF or close ties with an SFF personal has provided the video to the poster on facebook or he himself is SFF member.

PS: SFF had m14 assault rifle as their standard issue in the earlier days unlike any other force in India,they also had m60 machine gunOPERATION EAGLE 1971 AND VIETNAM WAR | Bhavanajagat
Just thinking if this should not have been leaked in public? It is too good to watch something like this. At same time, give out lot of information to enemy.

Some guys used to think Paras are the ultimate force, some Marcos and Garud. But these guys look like big baap of special forces

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles