Indian nuclear submarines

trackwhack

Arindham is supposed to have 12 launch tubes which makes it much bigger. Which means it also needs a much bigger power plant. I think we are being silly in assuming the progress of construction to be that advanced. I don't see Arindham being sea ready before 2018. Or is that as per schedule?

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Arindham is supposed to have 12 launch tubes which makes it much bigger. Which means it also needs a much bigger power plant. I think we are being silly in assuming the progress of construction to be that advanced. I don't see Arindham being sea ready before 2018. Or is that as per schedule?
same 4 tubes as Arihant, only after third sub (S4) they will move to more large tubes.

silicon3

Country flag
Arihant design is very new as it is designed somewhere from late 90s and early 2000 compare to other nuclear submarines in the world, It has new generation technology in terms of rubber tiles, Sound suppressing system etc elements....

As Sayareakd Sir told, Arhihant was meant to be front-line Submarine, India is not re-inventing the wheel here..

Submarine is designed by India with foreign supervisors like from french`s DSN and Russian`s Rubin, Arihant is most sophisticated SSGN/BN in this part of the Globe, Decklander[/MENTION] Sir is a Navy professional you can take his words ..
Fair enough....glad a lot of my doubts have been cleared....thanks guys

Decklander

India has been operating subs for nearly 50 yrs now. we have also been operating HDWs and Kilo class for over two decades. Russians even today have the best sub tech in the world and they are the people who assisted India in making this sub. Be assured that some of the best tech has gone into this sub. Nukes are noisy compared to DE subs but that does not mean that it is easy to detect a nuke sub under water. Arihant design and its features are based on Akula-2 design which is a hunter killer sub and therefore much more quiet than other subs of its class.

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
Arihant to sail out by November | idrw.org

With its 83MW pressure water reactor going critical, India's first SSBN, the Arihant is all set for sea acceptance trials that will sea it stretch its legs at depths for the first time in the Bay of Bengal off the coast of Visakhapatnam. The vessel has been embroiled in harbour acceptance trials (HATs) for the last three years since its launch in July 2009.

The Arihant is likely to spend about 18 months in sea trials before it is commissioned into service. By that time, it's follow-on boat, tentatively titled Aridaman, will be launched as well at the Shipbuilding Centre in Vizag. Arihant's sea acceptance trials will also later include integration and testing of the K-15 missile, apart from other weapons. Once all tests are complete, the Arihant will be commissioned into service and commence deterrent patrol in the Indian Ocean.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Head of ATV project should be sacked, they (project officiala) are so negiligant. Any one can see 35 meters length of Atv in open including its tower and if foreign govts have better quality image then even the missile doors.

trackwhack

Head of ATV project should be sacked, they (project officiala) are so negiligant. Any one can see 35 meters length of Atv in open including its tower and if foreign govts have better quality image then even the missile doors.
I want the others to know. Intimidation is part of deterrence. And if our sub is as tech advanced as claimed what's to fear if the rest of the world knows?

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
I want the others to know. Intimidation is part of deterrence. And if our sub is as tech advanced as claimed what's to fear if the rest of the world knows?
I can understand intimidation by parking 3-4 subs side by side. When you have one sub which has not completed harbour trial put to display like that it is criminal. 700-1500 km range SLBM is hardly intimidating to China if you are planning to use it from Bay of Bangol.

TrueSpirit

Sir, I believe it can be a Attack submarine not a dedicated SSN but SSGN, She is very extremely deadly against enemy carrier formations..

She is not fast as Akula but not slow either, She is fast and maneuverable due to its powerful propulsion and smaller size, She can engage enemy subs also can attack enemy surface fleets from very long range with help of K15 and Klubs..

==========================

Couldn't fine a proper chart..
AFAIK, it is primarily a SSBN

Anti-shipping warfare (SSN) is a secondary role for self-defence & land-attack is not one its role.

@Decklander ?

Last edited by a moderator:

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Sir, I believe it can be a Attack submarine not a dedicated SSN but SSGN, She is very extremely deadly against enemy carrier formations..

She is not fast as Akula but not slow either, She is fast and maneuverable due to its powerful propulsion and smaller size, She can engage enemy subs also can attack enemy surface fleets from very long range with help of K15 and Klubs..

==========================

Couldn't fine a proper chart..
found this on net

The turbine was rotating at 120 revolutions per minute, enough to provide a speed of 12 knots an hour to Arihant.
Another requirement was that the power in the reactor in a submarine should rise fast – from 25 per cent to 100 per cent within a few minutes. "It is this attribute that gives the submarine its capability of attaining full speed from its cruising speed within a short time," he said.
The boat also faces the danger of being ripped apart from depth-charges. "Against these odds, we have designed and developed this reactor. It is a major achievement," said Banerjee. The PWR in Arihant is designed for fast manoeuvres and a rapid speed pick-up.
Navigation News | Frontline

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
found this on net

The turbine was rotating at 120 revolutions per minute, enough to provide a speed of 12 knots an hour to Arihant.
Navigation News | Frontline
According to the U.S. Department of Defense, the top speed of the submarines of the Los Angeles class is over 25 knots (29 mph or 46 kph), although the actual maximum is classified. Some published estimates have placed their top speed at 30 to 33 knots.[4][8] In his book Submarine: A Guided Tour Inside a Nuclear Warship, Tom Clancy estimated the top speed of Los Angeles-class submarines at about 37 knots.
Los Angeles-class submarine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The first, Viper, was commissioned in 1995, the second, Nerpa, in December 2000 and the third, Gepard, in August 2001. The Akula II submarines are 110m long and displace up to 12,770t. They have a maximum speed of 35kt submerged and a maximum diving depth of 600m.
SSN Akula Class (Bars Type 971) Nuclear Submarine - Naval Technology

so our ATV speed is less then half of what is SSN attack submarines speed.

Decklander

Unlike ships, Subs have two weights, surfaced and dived. The wt quoted by you is submerged displacement. similarly, unlike ships, subs have two diff top speeds, surface and dived. Most SSN have the distinctive towed array sonar on its tail. Pls have carefull look at Arihant. It too has one such towed array on its fin. So even I am confused to call it a pure SSBN/SSGN/SSN.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
She is a first true multi-role Nuclear Submarine ..

First true coz of small size and high speed for Anti-Submarine warfare..

AFAIK, it is primarily a SSBN

Anti-shipping warfare (SSN) is a secondary role for self-defence & land-attack is not one its role.

@Decklander ?
We Indians are masters of Jugaad. One sub many roles is all I wud say. It is a mix of SSBN+SSGN+SSN.

Last edited by a moderator:

Decklander

Sir, any precedence of hybrid sub like this in any Navy ?
You guys have been completely fooled by what ever is being written in newspapers. The real SSBN for IN will be the follow on designs which will be twice the size of Arihant and construction go ahead has already been given for them way back in 2009. Arihant will the attack sub (SSN) of IN with limited SSBN role.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
You guys have been completely fooled by what ever is being written in newspapers. The real SSBN for IN will be the follow on designs which will be twice the size of Arihant and construction go ahead has already been given for them way back in 2009. Arihant will the attack sub (SSN) of IN with limited SSBN role.
Sir if construction go ahead was given in 2009, then is it Aridhaman ? or the submarine which will come after that ?

Decklander

Sir if construction go ahead was given in 2009, then is it Aridhaman ? or the submarine which will come after that ?
Its a new class, yet to be named. As I told you that it will be twice the size of Arihant. I believe that construction is on for these subs but where and when it started is anybodies guess. I DO/NOT KNOW.

LalTopi

A SSN with 20knts speed?

nirranj

Country flag

UK's Rosyth Naval base as seen in Google maps... all the Subs are clearly visible...

Global Defence

Articles