Indian nuclear submarines

SajeevJino

Long walk
Country flag
if they do it ltte will be born again with another name.they know it very well so they may not

Sri lanka already made their strong relationship with China as well as Pakistan too ..

arkem8

Country flag
A compilation of my stuff used w/o permission by the News Media!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Dinesh_Kumar

Just goes to show that we can't trust any one in the world, and have to take care of ourselves. Our A&N Island connectivity, ports and harbors in TN (small ones), A&N Tri Service command, etc. have to be well integrated as a first step.
If Chinese intrusions take place from Sri Lanka (a new front!), we must be atleast able to monitor and conduct recon of intruding boat.......signatures, noise, frequencies, endurance limits, intel on the ground in Lankan port of Hamitomba (spelling!), etc.

Last edited:

nirranj

Country flag
Just goes to show that we can't trust any one in the world, and have to take care of ourselves. Our A&N Island connectivity, ports and harbors in TN (small ones), A&N Tri Service command, etc. have to be well integrated as a first step.
If Chinese intrusions take place from Sri Lanka (a new front!), we must be atleast able to monitor and conduct recon of intruding boat.......signatures, noise, frequencies, endurance limits, intel on the ground in Lankan port of Hamitomba (spelling!), etc.
fishermen from TN are already reporting chinese faces along with sL navy in Palk straits... but sadly though we are unaware of any IN patrol in the waters between India and SL.

TamilNet: 02.11.09 Chinese Navy involved in attacks on Tamil Nadu fishermen - FMOA

if attacks on our fishermen in our waters is not angering the govt in delhi, then we cannot expect them to do anything better when the chinese dock in the SL ports...

silicon3

Country flag
what is the sound levels Nuclear Reactor on INS Arihant..all of us know the chinese nuclear subs are noisy and this will be easy to detect, i am sure Arihant is as noisy as the chinese..hopefully the newer INS subs will be quieter.

i am curious to know what are the current sound levels of d Russian subs, from what i gather the american subs are the most silent types easily the quietest in the world.

sayareakd

Country flag
what is the sound levels Nuclear Reactor on INS Arihant..all of us know the chinese nuclear subs are noisy and this will be easy to detect, i am sure Arihant is as noisy as the chinese..hopefully the newer INS subs will be quieter.

i am curious to know what are the current sound levels of d Russian subs, from what i gather the american subs are the most silent types easily the quietest in the world.
Bhai, at least let the Arihant to use its own power to propel the submarine, only then they will do tests on its noise levels. Submarine has not gone out at sea still people are ready with certificate about its noise levels. Only people who are fortune teller, can say about the noise level of Arihant from thin air.

Abhijeet Dey

Country flag
Russian Subs are silent than American Subs:

In August 2009, the news media reported that two Akula-class submarines operated off the East Coast of the United States, with one of the submarines being identified as a Project 971 Shchuka-B type. U.S. military sources noted that this was the first known Russian submarine deployment to the western Atlantic since the end of the Cold War, raising concerns within U.S. military and intelligence communities. The U.S. Northern Command confirmed that this 2009 Akula-class submarine deployment did occur. (Source: nytimes.com/2009/08/05/world/05patrol.html?_r=1&)

In August 2012, the news media reported that another Akula-class submarine operated in the Gulf of Mexico purportedly undetected for over a month, sparking controversy within U.S. military and political circles, with U.S. Senator John Cornyn of the Senate Armed Services Committee demanding details of this deployment from Admiral Jonathan W. Greenert, the Chief of Naval Operations. (Source: freebeacon.com/silent-running/)

rohit b3

Country flag
I had this question in mind for sometime now.

Cant Arihant with K-15 SLBMs, act as an attack submarine as well?

K-15/Shaurya missile has traits of cruise missile technology in them as well, and hence often called as "Quasi Ballistic missile"

They are short ranged as well, so arent they accurate enough to hit moving ships? Just wondering..

sayareakd

Country flag
I had this question in mind for sometime now.

Cant Arihant with K-15 SLBMs, act as an attack submarine as well?

K-15/Shaurya missile has traits of cruise missile technology in them as well, and hence often called as "Quasi Ballistic missile"

They are short ranged as well, so arent they accurate enough to hit moving ships? Just wondering..
It is not design for speed it is designed to hide and super silent mode.

In future when we build sufficent numbers of SSBN only then we will make attack subs. Till such time Russian lease INS Chakra will do that job.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Sir, I believe it can be a Attack submarine not a dedicated SSN but SSGN, She is very extremely deadly against enemy carrier formations..

Partially modified by me..
She is not fast as Akula but not slow either, She is fast and maneuverable due to its powerful propulsion and smaller size, She can engage enemy subs also can attack enemy surface fleets from very long range with help of K15 and Klubs..

Cant Arihant with K-15 SLBMs, act as an attack submarine as well?.
In future when we build sufficent numbers of SSBN only then we will make attack subs. Till such time Russian lease INS Chakra will do that job.
==========================

Couldn't fine a proper chart..

@Kunal Biswas Sir what about British & French Nuclear Submarines?

Last edited by a moderator:

sayareakd

Country flag
Both the Arihant and the Vikrant are forerunners. Later this year, a naval shipyard in Visakhapatnam will launch the INS Aridaman, the Arihant's sister ship. The hull of another unnamed submarine (likely to begin with 'A', much as Indian aircraft carriers begin with 'V') is being prepared
The realisation of India's grand-'naval engineering' dreams - Hindustan Times
IMHO, they have made it like factory assembly line , hull of one sub is fabricated with L&T, One Submarine hull is assemble at SBC and one Submarine is tested out in sea.

When Arihant will be out of sea testing and given to Indian navy, then Aridaman will take its place for trials, this new sub yet to be named will move to SCB and some new sub hull will be build by L&T.

So at any given time three nuke subs are at different stages of construction and testing.

silicon3

Country flag
What makes you think so sure ..
I am going by d history of submarine ship building..the first sub will always need improvement..arihant will be our first truly indigenous sub..basically a tech demonstrator which will tell us a lot about manufacturing tech, sub performance and areas for improvement...we might be close to the noise levels of the current Chinese nuclear subs or maybe slightly better, however this is just my observation..I might be wrong

sayareakd

Country flag
I am going by d history of submarine ship building..the first sub will always need improvement..arihant will be our first truly indigenous sub..basically a tech demonstrator which will tell us a lot about manufacturing tech, sub performance and areas for improvement...we might be close to the noise levels of the current Chinese nuclear subs or maybe slightly better, however this is just my observation..I might be wrong
S1 was tech demo. Arihant is S2.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Arihant design is very new as it is designed somewhere from late 90s and early 2000 compare to other nuclear submarines in the world, It has new generation technology in terms of rubber tiles, Sound suppressing system etc elements....

As Sayareakd Sir told, Arhihant was meant to be front-line Submarine, India is not re-inventing the wheel here..

Submarine is designed by India with foreign supervisors like from french`s DSN and Russian`s Rubin, Arihant is most sophisticated SSGN/BN in this part of the Globe, Decklander[/MENTION] Sir is a Navy professional you can take his words ..

however this is just my observation..I might be wrong
S1 was tech demo. Arihant is S2.

Articles