Indian nuclear submarines

Super Flanker

Aviation and Defence Enthusiast
Country flag
Need another INS varsha submarine base on western coast. There were words INS kadamba extended may have submarine berths but not like INS varsha.
Yeah lol .Ok so you were referring to a Submarine Base. Ok . By the way ,I myself live in Goa , just to point that out. I feel like Goa is a good spot for a Submarine Base in my opinion. Let's hope for the best.

Freezer Dam

Country flag
Nobody knows the schedule down to the month in advance.

But I'd expect it to be sometime in 2022. Considering they built the shelter for it, which you'd only do once the sub is either already in the water or about to be slipped into water soon.

If by surface combatants you mean DDGs & FFGs then most likely no. However some smaller surface vessels like patrol boats & the new Shallow-water ASW craft are likely to operate close by, so may get berthing here.

To start with, the 4 Arihants (including 2 'stretched' models). Followed by all other nuclear boats (including SSBNs, SSGNs & SSNs) eventually. So up to 13-14 as per current plans.
Can you be specify the total N Sub in water with displacement...As it is top secret...We can only guess with logical assumption...
I naturally believe that we have 3 in water total...1 lunch in 2009, again lunch in 2018 and 2019 respectively... Can you please clarify... Displacement may be somewhere 7500 to 8000.

Gessler

Country flag
Can you be specify the total N Sub in water with displacement...As it is top secret...We can only guess with logical assumption...
I naturally believe that we have 3 in water total...1 lunch in 2009, again lunch in 2018 and 2019 respectively... Can you please clarify... Displacement may be somewhere 7500 to 8000.
There are 2 Arihant-class SSBNs confirmed in the water. One commissioned and conducted first deterrence patrol in 2018.

Second is in the water but yet to be commissioned. Most probably it's undergoing sea trials.

Status of 3rd one is unknown, but likely to either be already in water or close to being slipped into water - judging by the mobile shelter for 3rd SSBN being in existence.

The first 2 Airhant class SSBNs are 6,000 tons displacement surfaced. Submerged displacement is unknown, but likely in neighborhood of 7,000 tons.

It's widely believed that the 3rd and 4th SSBN of this class are larger than the 1st and 2nd, with 8 missile tubes instead of 4. But this is yet to be confirmed/verified. There are no official photos, specs or even satellite images to verify this (yet).

Freezer Dam

Country flag
There are 2 Arihant-class SSBNs confirmed in the water. One commissioned and conducted first deterrence patrol in 2018.

Second is in the water but yet to be commissioned. Most probably it's undergoing sea trials.

Status of 3rd one is unknown, but likely to either be already in water or close to being slipped into water - judging by the mobile shelter for 3rd SSBN being in existence.

The first 2 Airhant class SSBNs are 6,000 tons displacement surfaced. Submerged displacement is unknown, but likely in neighborhood of 7,000 tons.

It's widely believed that the 3rd and 4th SSBN of this class are larger than the 1st and 2nd, with 8 missile tubes instead of 4. But this is yet to be confirmed/verified. There are no official photos, specs or even satellite images to verify this (yet).
You can check open source image where 2 ssbn was docked and also one was under shed...Probably january 2021 image... Now make a note about PM announcement in 2019 that we complete the nuclear triad, logically that means minimum one NSub will be in water under any circumstances, So guess is 3...

Gessler

Country flag
You can check open source image where 2 ssbn was docked and also one was under shed...Probably january 2021 image... Now make a note about PM announcement in 2019 that we complete the nuclear triad, logically that means minimum one NSub will be in water under any circumstances, So guess is 3...
One can assume whatever one wants and draw imaginary lines. There's a reason why I repeatedly use the term "official".

IndianHawk

Country flag

It is confirmed that last two of arihant class will be bigger boats .

In 2007, then finance minister P. Chidambaram, who was a member of the political committee which monitors the ATV programme, questioned the huge amount of money being spent on submarines with just 4 missile launch tubes. Hence the ATV project team tweaked the Arihant design by adding a 10-metre-long section for four more K-4 SLBMs to be integrated into the boat codenamed S4. After it became evident that the larger S5 class of SSBNs will take more time to develop, an additional unit, codenamed S4*, was sanctioned in 2012 to ensure that the production line doesn't go idle.[6]

Gessler

Country flag
It is confirmed that last two of arihant class will be bigger boats .

In 2007, then finance minister P. Chidambaram, who was a member of the political committee which monitors the ATV programme, questioned the huge amount of money being spent on submarines with just 4 missile launch tubes. Hence the ATV project team tweaked the Arihant design by adding a 10-metre-long section for four more K-4 SLBMs to be integrated into the boat codenamed S4. After it became evident that the larger S5 class of SSBNs will take more time to develop, an additional unit, codenamed S4*, was sanctioned in 2012 to ensure that the production line doesn't go idle.[6]
I'm aware of this Sandeep Unnithan report. But like I said, it cannot be verified yet.

There could have been any number of operational realities and limitations that could have led to the Stretched version being abandoned. Adding a 10-meter module is not simple plug and play, it changes the entire center of gravity of the submarine and requires extensive re-testing of hydrodynamics, ballast & trim tank design etc.

For a submarine class designed to deliver deterrence, this can translate into extreme delays which leads to deterrence posture being diluted.

So while the intent for a larger version was always there, whether it could actually be delivered or not would only be known once we can verify with satellite images of a larger submarine.

IndianHawk

Country flag
I'm aware of this Sandeep Unnithan report. But like I said, it cannot be verified yet.

There could have been any number of operational realities and limitations that could have led to the Stretched version being abandoned. Adding a 10-meter module is not simple plug and play, it changes the entire center of gravity of the submarine and requires extensive re-testing of hydrodynamics, ballast & trim tank design etc.

For a submarine class designed to deliver deterrence, this can translate into extreme delays which leads to deterrence posture being diluted.

So while the intent for a larger version was always there, whether it could actually be delivered or not would only be known once we can verify with satellite images of a larger submarine.
the last two submarines were sanctioned only on the premises that they will carry more slbm otherwise they wouldn't even be sanctioned and we would only see 2 boat arihant class and directly move to next class of ssbn .

so being enlarged is pretty much the reason of existence of last two boats.

as for definite proof you may never know.
even the current arihant displacement and armament is nothing but a educated estimate. It might already be bigger and have more missiles. Is missile range known to anyone?? Is k5 is just 3500 km??

I should take a nap it's afternoon .

Super Flanker

Country flag
the last two submarines were sanctioned only on the premises that they will carry more slbm otherwise they wouldn't even be sanctioned and we would only see 2 boat arihant class and directly move to next class of ssbn .

even the current arihant displacement and armament is nothing but a educated estimate. It might already be bigger and have more missiles. Is missile range known to anyone?? Is k5 is just 3500 km??

To be honest . I agree with everything you have Just said right there. No one knows what is the true Specs of these Submarines. They might be 6000 tons in displacement or they might be more than that also. We can only make guesses at this point and Nothing else.

You should probably take a nap for some time 🙂

Super Flanker

Country flag
I think these are wrong coz mizzile silos were in 2+2 combinations (Pure speculation) and not all 4 lined up in one.
Actually speaking, I believe there in line configuration of Silos and not 2+2 configuration.

Gessler

Country flag

The point of deterrence is totally lost if your perceived enemies don't know what you have. And toward that end, we make sure they do - like leaving the silo doors open for all the world's satellites to see:

EqUQi5nUYAQAsfV.jpg

Eph6DGIXEAEJ0Zg.jpeg

So, when we do get the larger boats with 8 silos, rest assured we will let the world know. There should be ambiguity regarding our policy & intent, but not regarding our capabilities.

Vinba

Country flag
Yeah lol .Ok so you were referring to a Submarine Base. Ok . By the way ,I myself live in Goa , just to point that out. I feel like Goa is a good spot for a Submarine Base in my opinion. Let's hope for the best.
Well they have the naval base in Karwar which is not far.. Goa would not be a good idea.. Not only would there be opposition to having nuclear powered subs in one of India's premier tourist destinations but security would be a nightmare with all the foreign 'tourists' mistakenly watching comings and goings..

Super Flanker

Country flag
I guess these are the only pictures of ins Arihant ( the first Indigenous Nuclear Powered Submarine of India ) which are available in the Public Domain. Do share your opinion and Thoughts about it though.
20211107_094408.png

20211107_094400.jpg

20211107_094406.jpg

20211107_094403.jpg

20211107_094358.jpg

20211107_094355.jpg

20211107_094346.png

Super Flanker

Country flag
The 2 marked parts with circular holes are torpedo decoys I think
Yes buddy, you are right ,they most probably are Torpedo Decoy launchers because they do appear to Resemble them.

Gessler

Country flag
Hello everyone,I had a doubt regarding the Layout of the Missile Silos of INS ARIHANT. Will it be like this?
View attachment 119118
Or will it be something like this ,Side by Side Silo Arrangement ? What are your thoughts on it? :crazy:
View attachment 119119
Like the second - its pretty obvious from available satellite images:

Eph6DGIXEAEJ0Zg.jpeg

But they are not really side-by-side, they're still one behind the other - just that the hinge/actuator that opens the silo door is offset to port & starboard alternatingly.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles