Indian Navy Developments & Discussions

SwordOfDarkness

Country flag
Pakistan is getting 100 new ships in this day and age with their economy tanking?? Yeah right :rofl: :bplease:

And as for China? PLAN would be bankrupteed before it ever get to 500 ships. There is no way that China can afford to maintain that many ships in seaworthy combat capable condition.
Many of them are glorified gunboats, so it might actually be possible but wont mean same as "actually" having 500 ships.

SwordOfDarkness

Country flag
Somebody explain to me how this is a good decision, and how it is any different from just throwing a bone at DRDO so that they don't feel bad about developing NCLA ?
I would guess that they may not feel that foriegn jets will get ordered so close to election year.... So going for "something better than nothing" angle.

rohit b3

Country flag
Guys, is there any update on the ATLAS Towed Array sonar to be equipped on IN Warships. 6 were ordered in 2015 and more were to be built by BEL in India.
I believe the towed array sonars have been equipped on the Kamorta Class and some of the Delhi Class? Correct me if im wrong.
Also what about the following orders from BEL ? No news on that. Are we saying on latest top end warships like Vish ,Kolkata,Shivalik and Talwar are without towed array sonars?

Adm Kenobi

Country flag
Guys, is there any update on the ATLAS Towed Array sonar to be equipped on IN Warships. 6 were ordered in 2015 and more were to be built by BEL in India.
That was completed a long time ago, & nothing on the BEL part, unlikely to be made. Not after NAGIN/NAGAN.
I believe the towed array sonars have been equipped on the Kamorta Class and some of the Delhi Class? Correct me if im wrong.
Shivalik and Talwar (3 of each).

Are we saying on latest top end warships like Vish ,Kolkata,Shivalik and Talwar are without towed array sonars?
Kolkata doesn't AFAIK.

samsaptaka

तस्मात् उत्तिष्ठ कौन्तेय युद्धाय कृतनिष्चय
Country flag
as noted in the article- currently all navy fighter pilots have to go to the US to become carrier qualified, even 10+ years after they took delivery of the 29K
Wow, didn't know this, pathetic, atleast for this purpose IN should have placed a 30 NLCA order soon after the first demo test flights. But as usual twiddling thumbs....

AdminIgMp

Indian Navy starts trials of DRDO developed Laser Based DEW from INS Jalashwa !!! DRDO has already started building several types of Laser-based Directed Energy Weapons (DEW) that can be deployed on trucks, ships or aircraft...Durga-II is another such system that is already being built for mounting on truck-based platforms...works are underway to convert Durga-II into a ship and airborne platform !!! The system Indian Navy is currently testing is a 30-kilowatt weapon system while Durga-II is a 100-kilowatt DEW system..!!!

flanker99

Country flag
Indian Navy starts trials of DRDO developed Laser Based DEW from INS Jalashwa !!! DRDO has already started building several types of Laser-based Directed Energy Weapons (DEW) that can be deployed on trucks, ships or aircraft...Durga-II is another such system that is already being built for mounting on truck-based platforms...works are underway to convert Durga-II into a ship and airborne platform !!! The system Indian Navy is currently testing is a 30-kilowatt weapon system while Durga-II is a 100-kilowatt DEW system..!!!

Lonewolf

Psychopathic Neighbour
Country flag
Screenshot_20230428-185150613 (1)_1.jpg

Regular sat images time .

So boys, here you can see ins imphal with its mf star , next to it is one of nilgir class , third is ins surat, most likely as the image is old ,it would be a bit more fitted lastly you have rest tow of nilgiri class ,both hlgot their mast , now being fitted out

Lonewolf

Psychopathic Neighbour
Country flag
View attachment 202159
Regular sat images time .

So boys, here you can see ins imphal with its mf star , next to it is one of nilgir class , third is ins surat, most likely as the image is old ,it would be a bit more fitted lastly you have rest tow of nilgiri class ,both hlgot their mast , now being fitted out
One interesting observation,two ships are under construction too , but why two ?

flanker99

Country flag
One interesting observation,two ships are under construction too , but why two ?
I noticed that as well only thing i can think of is that all the blocks are for the same ship and just kept in two yards before assembling or they are building the blocks in the yards before adding them in unfinished ships of nilgiri class

blackleaf

Country flag
The OPVs get a lot of flak from the uninformed fanboys but considering they are less than half the price of the Talwars they have proven their worth for the non kinetic all out war scenarios

The Talwar class seems very expensive at USD 500 million a ship. You could get a lower end modern western frigate with short rage VLS SAM and more modern radar for cheaper. I'm thinking about something like the Type 31 frigate.
Couldn't we build something better on our own?

The Saryu Class was around USD 100 million each which is much more reasonable.
The HTMS Krabi for example which is a less capable ship cost around USD 80 million.

abingdonboy

Country flag
The Talwar class seems very expensive at USD 500 million a ship. You could get a lower end modern western frigate with short rage VLS SAM and more modern radar for cheaper. I'm thinking about something like the Type 31 frigate.
Couldn't we build something better on our own?

The Saryu Class was around USD 100 million each which is much more reasonable.
The HTMS Krabi for example which is a less capable ship cost around USD 80 million.
The Talwars always seemed like a bad deal to me, it’s not a surprise that much of the IN money seems to have gone to upgrade the Yantar shipyard, this is after massive delays and cost overruns for the original ships.

some have said they are a good deal now for the new batch of 4 11356s as they will be cheaper than the P17As but they’ll also be significantly less capable. I don’t know why the IN doesn’t spec at least the last batch with MFSTAR, MRSAM/BARAK-8 etc. when the 11356s are delivered in the middle of this decade they’ll pretty much be obsolete from the first day

Just another in a long tradition of keeping the Russian MIC afloat at the cost of the Indian taxpayer

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles