Indian Navy Developments & Discussions

Super Flanker

Aviation and Defence Enthusiast
What are you talking about? Never heard that analogy before "inverted bows".
The term 'Inverted bows' is a real thing actually.
speaking terms of ship design, an inverted bow is a ship's or large boat's bow whose farthest forward point is not at the top.
The resulting thing may somewhat resemble a submarine's bow. Inverted bows maximize the length of waterline and hence the hull speed, and have often better hydrodynamic drag than ordinary bows.
Here's a couple of Pictures of ships with inverted bows. Do have a look at these:
Zumwalt-inverted-bow-1024x641.jpg

20-Figure1-1-1.png
A_(ship)_at_Sorrent_2012_3.jpg

Super Flanker

Hey you all Guys ,I am of the opinion that Indian Navy should develop or buy a drone like the MQ-25 Stingray which can be used to Refuel Indian Navy jets in midair. It would look so cool in my opinion. Unmanned systems will be some of the Key aspects of future Warfare. Such Drones will be very useful for Indian Navy in my opinion.
Not just Refuelling though but many other purposes can be served by drones.
Please note-this is just my personal opinion and nothing else, you are free to share your thoughts.
210607141012-mq-25-navy-drone.jpg

Lonewolf

Psychopathic Neighbour
Country flag
Hey you all Guys ,I am of the opinion that Indian Navy should develop or buy a drone like the MQ-25 Stingray which can be used to Refuel Indian Navy jets in midair. It would look so cool in my opinion. Unmanned systems will be some of the Key aspects of future Warfare. Such Drones will be very useful for Indian Navy in my opinion.
Not just Refuelling though but many other purposes can be served by drones.
Please note-this is just my personal opinion and nothing else, you are free to share your thoughts.
View attachment 126579
Do indian navy jets have to operate too far away yet ?? Nope .

So no need for present , in future cats may help to develop such a drone , right now no plans from newspace too

Neeraj Mathur

Country flag
The term 'Inverted bows' is a real thing actually.
speaking terms of ship design, an inverted bow is a ship's or large boat's bow whose farthest forward point is not at the top.
The resulting thing may somewhat resemble a submarine's bow. Inverted bows maximize the length of waterline and hence the hull speed, and have often better hydrodynamic drag than ordinary bows.
Here's a couple of Pictures of ships with inverted bows. Do have a look at these:View attachment 126546
View attachment 126544View attachment 126545
thanx for share

i was reading a European article on new tech used by navy in that they mentioned France and India as future user of inverted bow design. But i think they were wrong bcoz only america and France went with inverted bow design.

Super Flanker

thanx for share

i was reading a European article on new tech used by navy in that they mentioned France and India as future user of inverted bow design. But i think they were wrong bcoz only america and France went with inverted bow design.
No problem mate. It's my pleasure.

Anyways I have noticed that It's a tendency mostly by these western countries in using such Designs. The countries of the east are not known to implement such Designs in their ships. Anyways in my opinion indian navy should also consider designing and building such ships with inverted bows, ships with such Designs are known to be be quite stealthy and have low RCS. (Ofcourse this is just a personal Suggestion from my side and nothing else)

To be honest, it's possible that in the near future indian navy might decide to implement such Designs in their Future ships.

Last edited:

Super Flanker

Do indian navy jets have to operate too far away yet ?? Nope .

So no need for present , in future cats may help to develop such a drone , right now no plans from newspace too
From my personal perspective-

It's possible that in the near future we might have to operate very far, so there remains a possibility that we might Operate these kind of Drones.

Anyways even Indian Airforce should consider such Drones for Aerial Refuelling in my opinion. Let's See what the Future holds and than we will see what happens.

Angel of War

Country flag
India instead of more aircraft carrier should build , yamato level battle ships , but instead of guns , lots of VLS , 2 such ships will destroy whole Pakistani navy !
View attachment 122847
This thing , but with VLS
if such a ship is somehow sunk then it's gonna be a disaster for the navy. That's why we should build tens of smaller, agile and lethally equipped frigates of displacement 4,500 tonnes .

Super Flanker

India instead of more aircraft carrier should build , yamato level battle ships , but instead of guns , lots of VLS , 2 such ships will destroy whole Pakistani navy !
View attachment 122847
This thing , but with VLS
battleship-yamato-history-blog-cover.jpg

That would be a really stupid thing to do in my opinion, if According to you They were really that Effective than the Major Navies of the World like The Chinese Navy, US navy ,Russian Navy would currently be Operating such platforms but they are not because it's useless to build such a giant ship in which you have put so money and resources, basically you have invested a lot in a Single asset, but if your enemy sinks this ships than so much of your resources, money will be lost because you were foolish enough to build something so large with so much of your resources concentrated in it.
f4c00f361b0be05ca3a7c66db6ec1306--navy-ships-genetics.jpg

So what I am trying to make you understand here is that such kind of ships are no longer relevant in today's modern naval Warfare Scenario. The far more logical thing to do is use that money and build many ships of Smaller sizes in more Number.
IMG_20211220_132152.jpg

For example, Instead of building something like the Yamato which infact was 65,030 tons. You can build around 13-14 frigates with around a displacement of around 4500-5000 Tons each ship. So this is the most logical thing to do Instead of building a huge Battleship.
2b9271550c00dbc106923a1da037d97e.jpg

BON PLAN

-*-
Contributor
Country flag

swapcv

Country flag
Yeah, when the VLSRSAM clears it's trials it's gonna be integrated onto the Kolkatas and Vizagapatnams Hopefully in a 32 cell VLS configuration . So we can assume that it future these destroyers will Have 48+32 VLS
It has space for much more if those RBU's are removed. Even the new Gorshkov's and the Gremyaschiy class of the VMF don't sport them anymore.

rohit b3

Country flag
This has firepower of a kolkata class destroyer :shock::shock:,our ships are underarmed
okay, enough of this "under armed" nonsense

Kolkata/Vizag Class carries 533mm torpedos which are heavier, more powerful warhead, and has a range of 40 kms+. In comparison, Western/Chinese Destroyers of similar displacement carry 324mm Light torpedos that have range of just 10 kms+.

Secondly, the Kolkata/Vizag has 2 Hangers for helicopter. It means that these Destroyers carry fuel, spares, weapons , etc to maintain 2 Helicopters on high seas. Every other Destroyer has 1 Hanger to maintain 1 Helicopter.

And offcourse the BrahMos which is 3 tons in weight. Compared to 0.5 tons-1.5 tons of various other anti ship missiles around the world.

These 3 are the main reason for taking up most of the weight on the ship, and totally justified as it increases the capability of the warship by a huge margin.

Not to mention these ships carry enough fuel to allow a range of over 11,000 kms at cruise speeds.

Further i am sure these ships would be refitted with either the SRVLM/SMART/Nirbhay a few years down the line, atleast one of these three.

Saying all that, i still dont understand the use of RBU on modern warships.. These have a maximum range of 6 kms and im sure not hostile submarine would come that close to launch its Torpedos/Cruise missiles.

Love Charger

चक्रवर्ती
Country flag
okay, enough of this "under armed" nonsense

Kolkata/Vizag Class carries 533mm torpedos which are heavier, more powerful warhead, and has a range of 40 kms+. In comparison, Western/Chinese Destroyers of similar displacement carry 324mm Light torpedos that have range of just 10 kms+.

Secondly, the Kolkata/Vizag has 2 Hangers for helicopter. It means that these Destroyers carry fuel, spares, weapons , etc to maintain 2 Helicopters on high seas. Every other Destroyer has 1 Hanger to maintain 1 Helicopter.

And offcourse the BrahMos which is 3 tons in weight. Compared to 0.5 tons-1.5 tons of various other anti ship missiles around the world.

These 3 are the main reason for taking up most of the weight on the ship, and totally justified as it increases the capability of the warship by a huge margin.

Not to mention these ships carry enough fuel to allow a range of over 11,000 kms at cruise speeds.

Further i am sure these ships would be refitted with either the SRVLM/SMART/Nirbhay a few years down the line, atleast one of these three.

Saying all that, i still dont understand the use of RBU on modern warships.. These have a maximum range of 6 kms and im sure not hostile submarine would come that close to launch its Torpedos/Cruise missiles.
Thanks sirji , it was very informative .

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles