Indian Navy Developments & Discussions

Vamsi

Country flag
okay, enough of this "under armed" nonsense

Kolkata/Vizag Class carries 533mm torpedos which are heavier, more powerful warhead, and has a range of 40 kms+. In comparison, Western/Chinese Destroyers of similar displacement carry 324mm Light torpedos that have range of just 10 kms+.

Secondly, the Kolkata/Vizag has 2 Hangers for helicopter. It means that these Destroyers carry fuel, spares, weapons , etc to maintain 2 Helicopters on high seas. Every other Destroyer has 1 Hanger to maintain 1 Helicopter.

And offcourse the BrahMos which is 3 tons in weight. Compared to 0.5 tons-1.5 tons of various other anti ship missiles around the world.

These 3 are the main reason for taking up most of the weight on the ship, and totally justified as it increases the capability of the warship by a huge margin.

Not to mention these ships carry enough fuel to allow a range of over 11,000 kms at cruise speeds.

Further i am sure these ships would be refitted with either the SRVLM/SMART/Nirbhay a few years down the line, atleast one of these three.

Saying all that, i still dont understand the use of RBU on modern warships.. These have a maximum range of 6 kms and im sure not hostile submarine would come that close to launch its Torpedos/Cruise missiles.
I don't think RBU-6000 is for submarines anymore. I think it purpose is hard kill for incoming torpedoes

Super Flanker

Aviation and Defence Enthusiast
Country flag
I don't think RBU-6000 is for submarines anymore. I think it purpose is hard kill for incoming torpedoes
RBU-6000 has so many other purposes I believe, it can also be used for Shore Bombardment also. It can also be used against divers and torpedoes and yes it can be used against submarines still its use is not just limited to anti Submarine Warfare in my opinion, it's obviously Integrated in our Warships like kolkata class and Visakhapatnam Class because it serves a variety of purposes. (But ofcourse this is just what I am inclined to believe)
22384960921_bf14c3c315_b.jpg

Angel of War

Country flag
It has space for much more if those RBU's are removed. Even the new Gorshkov's and the Gremyaschiy class of the VMF don't sport them anymore.
even I don't know why navy Continues to use ASW rockets onboard their warships despite their Range limitations

Super Flanker

Country flag
Very good look destroyer ! One of my best of the world.
@BON PLAN sir I believe that you meant to say 'Very good looking Destroyer ! One of the best in the world.' but regardless of that, thanks for your appreciation though. These Destroyers along with the Kolkata class Destroyers are some of the best Destroyers in world! Also some of the most Advanced in the World!

Love Charger

चक्रवर्ती
Country flag
Ya'll Nibbiars The Mleechas would be building 24 SSNs after the large submarine Shipyard have gone online. Atleats match them by half if can't they don't even think of taking Chinese head on in the Indian Ocean.
That's where quad comes in .

Super Flanker

Country flag
Ya'll Nibbiars The Mleechas would be building 24 SSNs after the large submarine Shipyard have gone online. Atleats match them by half if can't they don't even think of taking Chinese head on in the Indian Ocean.
To be fair you do have a point there but you have to understand that these Chinese submarines are not as effective as the Chinese claims. If you can't match your enemy with quantity than try and do so with quality.

You don't have to think about it too much mate. It's not that indian navy will only send it's SSNs to fight Chinese Submarines, they will Also be sending other assets to Counter them. So just chill my man.

Haldilal

लड़ते लड़ते जीना है, लड़ते लड़ते मरना है
Country flag
To be fair you do have a point there but you have to understand that these Chinese submarines are not as effective as the Chinese claims. If you can't match your enemy with quantity than try and do so with quality.

You don't have to think about it too much mate. It's not that indian navy will only send it's SSNs to fight Chinese Submarines, they will Also be sending other assets to Counter them. So just chill my man.
Ya'll Nibbiars It's nkt just about numbers but smart planning.

1 . Instead of more conventional powered Submarines are costly due to the foreign TOT. Build the L & T proposed 1,000 tons submarines for the costal defence in numbers.

2 . Pour the resources you get by that to the more nuclear submarines.

A barracuda class conventionals smaller size Submarines may cost as much as a Indeginiously built SSN's.

Haldilal

Country flag
Ya'll Nibbiars or else continue the Kalveri class submarines and pour the remaining resource for the SSN's.

Haldilal

Country flag
Okeys halde but indian is not very weak either , the western command must ve enough to destroy pakistani navy.
Ya'll Nibbiars yaha Mleecahs ki baat ho rahe bai the cost guard has more tonnage than PN. And most of the PN vessel are not even as well armed as ours.

Super Flanker

Country flag
Ya'll Nibbiars It's nkt just about numbers but smart planning.

1 . Instead of more conventional powered Submarines are costly due to the foreign TOT. Build the L & T proposed 1,000 tons submarines for the costal defence in numbers.

2 . Pour the resources you get by that to the more nuclear submarines.

A barracuda class conventionals smaller size Submarines may cost as much as a Indeginiously built SSN's.
@Haldilal the Indian Navy probably knows more than us about this kind of things than the people on this Defence Forum.

1)The Orders for newly unveiled submarine by L&T is unlikely to get orders from the Indian Navy, if it does than Navy will Probably procure 6+ Units of such Submarines at most. To be fair the L&T submarine is more of an Export oriented thing in my opinion.

2)Mate ,as of now I believe that Indian Navy is more interested in getting the 3rd Aircraft Carrier and not much interest is being showed for SSN(even though I maybe wrong here)

Like I said before, I don't see the Chances of the Barracuda class SSN or even it's Conventional version entering Service with the Indian Navy.

Super Flanker

Country flag
Ya'll Nibbiars yaha Mleecahs ki baat ho rahe bai the cost guard has more tonnage than PN. And most of the PN vessel are not even as well armed as ours.
Mate, please reframe from Discussing to much with regards to Indian Navy, there is a separate thread for Discussing all of that.

this thread is getting detailed now so we will stop the discussion of Indian Navy here itself and take it to the Respective thread.

Hope you got what I am trying to tell you.

Haldilal

Country flag
@Haldilal the Indian Navy probably more than us about this kind of things than the people on this Defence Forum.

1)The Orders for newly unveiled submarine by L&T is unlikely to get orders from the Indian Navy, if it does than Navy will Probably procure 6+ Units of such Submarines at most. To be fair the L&T submarine is more of an Export oriented thing in my opinion.

2)Mate ,as of now I believe that Indian Navy is more interested in getting the 3rd Aircraft Carrier and not much interest is being showed for SSN(even though I maybe wrong here)

Like I said before, I don't see the Chances of the Barracuda class SSN or even it's Conventional version entering Service with the Indian Navy.
Ya'll Nibbiars then the only options remained is the Russians submarine for the Project 75 I.

Super Flanker

Country flag
Ya'll Nibbiars then the only options remained is the Russians submarine for the Project 75 I.
When you are referring to the Russian Submarine for the Project 75 I than I believe you are referring to the Amur Class Submarines which Russia is offering us.

To be fair in my opinion, there are two Likely contenders from which one could be selected. The two Submarines which in my opinion which have the highest chances of Winning the Tender are the Scorpene class and the Russian Amur Class Submarines.
S1000sub.jpg

Haldilal

Country flag
When you are referring to the Russian Submarine for the Project 75 I than I believe you are referring to the Amur Class Submarines which Russia is offering us.

To be fair in my opinion, there are two Likely contenders from which one could be selected. The two Submarines which in my opinion which have the highest chances of Winning the Tender are the Scorpene class and the Russian Amur Class Submarines.
View attachment 126877
Ya'll Nibbiars The French were offering the SMX 30 and not the Kalvereri class.

That's one is bomb literally the smaller version of the barracuda class.

The Russian will cost only 5,000 crores per Submarines they were offering 8 Submarines for 40,000 crores.

Super Flanker

Country flag
Ya'll Nibbiars The French were offering the SMX 30 and not the Kalvereri class.

That's one is bomb literally the smaller version of the barracuda class.

The Russiak will cost only 5,000 crores per Submarines they were offering 8 Submarines for 40,000 crores.
For me it's a bit confusing to what the French were offering us under Project 75 I, either its a Diesel electric Variant of the Barracuda or a highly advanced version of the scorpene.

The Russians were offering us Complete TOT of the Amur class Submarines if we selected the Submarine under Project 75 I.

The Rubin Design Bureau (Russia) had Offered a variant of the Amur-class, known as the Amur-1650. I feel like this is a good deal in my opinion.

And I believe along with that, we would be able to build unlimited numbers of Amur Class Submarines and we won't have to pay any IP Rights.

And like I said again @Haldilal please Reframe Discusssion of Indian Navy here, we can discuss this in the Indian Navy thread. This thread is now getting derailed. Hope you understand.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles