Indian Navy Developments & Discussions

flanker99

Country flag
View attachment 164421
Believe this is for the upgrade of IN' existing fleet of fighters (i.e.-MiG-29K).
It is still worth to upgrade these planes and operate them from naval air stations/Vikky-Vikyan
Bet MiG-29K upgrade would be completed before MKI? (jets worth 2 sq)
I dont understand why they are asking aesa radar through sprint ...isnt uttam the perfect ready made option for it

Vamsi

Country flag
Teddy won't be ready for 10-12 years and we need carrier fighters within a couple years. 57 is a nice good number to get the fighters we need for this decade. Teddy will be the follow up program.
If we buy brand new 57 fighters,then the requirement for TEDBF will be reduced from 100 aircrafts to 40 you know. Then it won't be economical to develop a brand new fighter.

mist_consecutive

Golgappe Expert
Contributor
Country flag
numbers over 50 means for both the carriers, we can say goodbye to Teddy then
Given that there is no clear plan for IAC2, it means it is a good 10 years away at least. I don't see TEDBF getting ready anytime before AMCA, as it is a low-observable Naval fighter, and will share a lot of components with AMCA, so the 2030-32 timeline if we are extremely hopeful.

If we buy brand new 57 fighters,then the requirement for TEDBF will be reduced from 100 aircrafts to 40 you know. Then it won't be economical to develop a brand new fighter.
IAC1 can carry 26 jets, and IAC2 will probably carry a bit more (30-36?), I don't see 57 fighters as an unreasonable requirement.
Plus, the current maritime strike role is delegated to Air Force using Jaguar and Su-30MKI, which in the future (post-2030? after Jaguars and Su-30MKI start to retire) should be taken care of by the Navy instead.

So it makes sense for Navy to maintain 5-6 Sqns for carrier-ops, and another 3-4 Sqns for dedicated Naval warfare roles (Naval strike, EW, sea-dominance, etc.).

Rest assured, the Navy by far is the most visionary and indigenous-system-focused force, so they won't just ditch TEDBF.

Last edited:

vampyrbladez

Country flag
P 76 (AIP) instead of P 75I ?

Sources said that the Naval Design Bureau is working on a conventional diesel-electric submarine with AIP technology that will be the future of India’s submarine plans.

“There are a number of factors that go into designing a submarine. Project 76 will be an in-house project. We are now focusing on the systems and the technology that the submarine must have and are designing the submarine around that,” a source said.

Another source said that the design phase should be completed in another year and half.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/thepri...vy-decommissions-ins-sindhudhvaj/1043167/?amp

http://idrw.org/project-76-indigenous-conventional-diesel-electric-submarine-design-likely-by-2025/

flanker99

Country flag
"Overt Defense understands that in June, the MoD had asked the industry to provide their manufacturing readiness for dozens of new land based and naval equipment. This includes Project-17 Bravo (P-17B), which will be a follow-on order for P-17A class frigates. It also includes both the NGD and NGF separately, confirming that both projects are on the anvil. It is possible that the NGF project may be initiated only after progression of P-17B, which itself is likely to be contracted only by 2025-26 when all P-17A frigates would be ready for service."

Adm Kenobi

Country flag
"Overt Defense understands that in June, the MoD had asked the industry to provide their manufacturing readiness for dozens of new land based and naval equipment. This includes Project-17 Bravo (P-17B), which will be a follow-on order for P-17A class frigates. It also includes both the NGD and NGF separately, confirming that both projects are on the anvil. It is possible that the NGF project may be initiated only after progression of P-17B, which itself is likely to be contracted only by 2025-26 when all P-17A frigates would be ready for service."
P-17B & NGF being different projects probably indicates that MoD is willing to provide IN with a fleet of more than 24 frigates, would be a nice step if they follow it and don't dump P-17B. Wonder if WNC will get them, their frigate fleet (Talwar and Brahmaputra) is poor in terms of AAW, P-17B can help improve that.

To be seen on how this plays out.

gslv markIII

Country flag
P-17B & NGF being different projects probably indicates that MoD is willing to provide IN with a fleet of more than 24 frigates, would be a nice step if they follow it and don't dump P-17B. Wonder if WNC will get them, their frigate fleet (Talwar and Brahmaputra) is poor in terms of AAW, P-17B can help improve that.

To be seen on how this plays out.
I thought 4 out of 7 P17A will be allocated to WNC?

Adm Kenobi

Country flag
I thought 4 out of 7 P17A will be allocated to WNC?
I haven't heard anything about P17A being part of WNC, and ENC officials are present at most of the launches. ENC needs those 7 FFGs, rn they only have 3 P17s. WNC has 6 Talwar (+4 under construction) and 3 Brahmaputra.
ENC will have 10 FFG & WNC will have 13 (total for both).
The seven Nilgiri-class stealth guided missile frigates under Project 17 Alpha, being built at Mazagon, Mumbai, and at Garden Reach, Kolkata, would be part of the Eastern Naval Command, Vice Admiral Dasgupta said.

Blademaster

I was just asking for it's whereabouts in the other thread and I see this. This is sad but not surprising as long we have sold out lobbyists in the military. I am sure the Russians were delighted to win a lucrative deal out of selling scrap metal.
We could have had 3 indigenous carriers by now with all that money and time invested in this piece of junk.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles