Indian Navy Developments & Discussions

sorcerer

Country flag
INS TABAR EXERCISES WITH ITALIAN NAVY OFF NAPLES, ITALY

Posted On: 07 JUL 2021 1:18PM by PIB Delhi

As part of the ongoing deployment to the Mediterranean, INS Tabar entered the Port of Naples, Italy on 03 Jul 21. The ship was accorded a warm welcome by the Italian Navy. During the stay in port the Commanding Officer Captain Mahesh Mangipudi called on the senior officers of the Prefect of Naples Authority, the regional Italian Navy Headquarters and the Coast Guard Headquarters at Naples.

On departure from port, the ship also undertook a Maritime Partnership Exercise with ITS Antonio Marceglia (F 597), a frontline frigate of the Italian Navy, on 04 and 05 July 2021 in the Tyrrhenian Sea. The exercise covered a wide range of naval operations including air defence procedures, replenishment at sea, communication drills and cross deck helo operations by day and night. The exercise was mutually beneficial in enhancing interoperability and towards consolidating combined operations against maritime threats.

The exercise culminated with a ‘Steam Past’ by the two ships, as per the naval custom.

WolfPack86

Country flag
Germany to Upgrade Two Indian Attack Submarines
German defense contractor ThyssenKrupp Marine Systems (TKMS) signed a $ 38.4 million contract for the modernization of two out of four Shishumar-class (Type 209/1500) diesel-electric attack submarines in service with the Indian Navy on June 29, according to Indian media reports.

The four 1,450-ton Shishumar-class SSKs form the Indian Navy’s 10th submarine squadron based in Mumbai. Two Shishumar-class submarines were assembled at the Howaldtswerke-Deutsche Werft (HDW) at Kiel in Germany, while the third and fourth vessels of the class were license-built at Mumbai’s Mazagon Dock Shipbuilders Limited and commissioned in the early 1990s.

The upgrade of the two license-built SSKs, aimed at extending their operational life by ten years, will also take place in Mumbai, according to a TKMS press release. TKMS’s contract with the Indian Navy entails fitting the boats with a new weapons suite–Boeing anti-ship UGM-84L Harpoon Block encapsulated missile systems.

In detail, the new weapons package includes 12 UGM-84L Harpoon Block II Encapsulated Missiles, 10 UTM-84L Harpoon Encapsulated Training missiles, and two Encapsulated Harpoon certification training vehicles. TKMS will also offer training to support and operate the new weapon system.

The upgrades will likely only take place on the latest two license-built Shishummar-class vessels due to technical limitations. “Only these two (Shalki and Shankul) can be done because certain modifications to the firing chain for missile launch need to be incorporated, which in a ‘fitted for’ configurations had already been catered for. Only the impulse flasks etc need to be added in the firing chain as the torpedoes are in swim out mode,” an Indian Navy official told local media.

It is a key milestone in our long-standing commitment towards India. We have the capacity to integrate any weapon system that is selected by the Indian Navy, onto our submarines. We are happy to take on this project to now integrate the harpoon missiles in two of the four SSK submarines ” Gurnad Sodhi, Managing Director of ThyssenKrupp Marine Systems India, said.

TKMS is also competing for a contract to build six new diesel-electric submarines for the Indian Navy. As I reported previously (“Germany Offers India New Stealth Submarines”), TKMS has pitched the 2,000-ton (submerged) diesel-electric Type 214 submarines fitted with an air-independent propulsion system using Siemens polymer electrolyte membrane (PEM) hydrogen fuel cells.

The Indian government has been deliberating over the purchase of six additional stealth submarines, capable of attacking land targets and equipped with AIP, since 2008 and is expected to make a decision by the year’s end (in a previous deal, India already opted for the purchase of six French Scorpene-class diesel-electric attack submarines the first of which was floated out in April 2015).

According to the original Project 75-I proposal, two submarines would have been be directly bought from one selected foreign shipyard with the remaining four build in India. Now, with the Modi government’s ‘Make in India’ program, all six vessels are to be built in India.

Germany’s competition in the bid will be fierce and will include DCNS (France), Navantia (Spain), Kockums (Sweden), Rubin Design Bureau-Amur Shipyard (Russia), Mitsubishi Heavy Industries and Kawasaki Heavy Industries (Japan). TKMS has already exported variants of the HDW Type 214 to Greece, South Korea, and Portugal.

TKMS’s Gurnad Sodhi said that his company would be ready to integrate indigenously-developed submarine-launched BrahMos supersonic cruise missiles onto the Type 214 submarines.

“We fully support the ‘Make and Made in India’ policy which would encompass inter-alia Transfer of Technology (ToT), training and meeting all offset obligations. We are awaiting the government’s decision on the Strategic Partner chapter of the new DPP [Defense Procurement Procedure] 2016, after which we will begin our negotiations with an Indian shipyard for the P75(I)”, Sodhi said.

flanker99

Country flag
Vlsrsam +nirbhay , i think vlsrsam would be 8 or 16 , that would bring tally to 56 or 64 if even 8 nirbhay are added it would get 64 or 72 ,but i think it would be later , so for now 64 is awesome still , but need addition to nilgiri shivalik class too
Vlsrsam is barak1 class so minimum 24 or max 32 and dont think we will see increase in no of UVLS .....16 is enough for a ship of its tonnage

Lonewolf

Psychopathic Neighbour
Country flag
Vlsrsam is barak1 class so minimum 24 or max 32 and dont think we will see increase in no of UVLS .....16 is enough for a ship of its tonnage
Maybe , but it's not uvls for vlsrsam right now , navy want kolkata and visakhapatnam to be clean and more open to space so no uvls , it is in Octa pack of vls like camm er , will cater in range of 40 km or somewhat below for successful interception , 8×2 would be enough for Kolkata , if addition of nirbhay is planned

flanker99

Country flag
Maybe , but it's not uvls for vlsrsam right now , navy want kolkata and visakhapatnam to be clean and more open to space so no uvls , it is in Octa pack of vls like camm er , will cater in range of 40 km or somewhat below for successful interception , 8×2 would be enough for Kolkata , if addition of nirbhay is planned
By uvls i meant the brahmos vls..16 of point defense missiles will never be enough thats why minimum 24-32

Lonewolf

Psychopathic Neighbour
Country flag
By uvls i meant the brahmos vls..16 of point defense missiles will never be enough thats why minimum 24-32
But i think number will depend on space ,maybe they can add to superstructure in mid body , and it already have 32 barak 8 , so 16 is good enough

iNorthernerOn9

Country flag
What a bloody joke this bhadwa IAS bureaucracy has made of the navy.

The 2 major improvements in Vishakhapatnam class over kolkata class i.e.
1. 127mm gun
2. Indra L band Radar... will be absent as pics reveal

& same old 76mm "pichkari" & cold war era Thales lw-08 radar will be there.

Last edited:

sorcerer

Country flag
Indian Navy's six new indigenous submarines won't have indigenous AIP for prolonged underwater stay

3-4 minutes

The Indian Navy would soon come out with the tender for over Rs 50,000 crore project to build six indigenous conventional submarines but they would not be fitted with the indigenous Air Independent Propulsion system that is being developed by the DRDO.

As per sources, the Indian Navy has asked the DRDO to prove the AIP on a platform before it is allowed to be put on the Scorpene-class submarines when they start coming for their scheduled refits, they said.

sorcerer

Country flag
India to Get More P-8I From Boeing Soon - ELE Times

Indian Navy is set to get tenth P-8I long-range maritime reconnaissance and anti-submarine warfare aircraft, part of the nearly $1 billion deal with the US for four additional planes signed in 2016. As per media reports, P-8I has taken off from the Boeing facility and will land at INS Hansa in Goa to join the ninth P-8I that was delivered to India, last November 2020. INS Hansa will be getting the remaining two that are scheduled to be handed over to India in the coming weeks.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles