Indian Navy Developments & Discussions

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
Ahhh....sounds good, in theory at least.
Oh yes isn't everything?..

Now I can't prove this ofcourse, but they may be testing exactly that with the repeated live tests of Brahmos & torpedo on actual decommissioned ships. The following ships survived both hits & one was rendered dead-in-water but not mission killed (from the looks).

Look here.

Kashin-class destroyers, 3500ton. Bit larger than Kamorta. Torpedo hit.
1613670120306.jpeg

INS Cannanore, Pondicherry-class (891ton only). Brahmos hit.
EljxYGEU4AEiVX8.png

Last edited:

ArgonPrime

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Oh yes isn't everything?..

Now I can't prove this ofcourse, but they may be testing exactly that with the repeated live tests of Brahmos & torpedo on actual decommissioned ships. The following ships survived both hits & one was rendered dead-in-water but not mission killed (from the looks).

Look here.

Kashin-class destroyers, 3500ton. Bit larger than Kamorta. Torpedo hit.
1613670120306.jpeg

INS Cannanore, Pondicherry-class (891ton only). Brahmos hit. View attachment 79542
Yeah, I see that. But even the Japanese and South Korean ships are rather densely packed with armaments. It seems to me that IN does not expect to engage a near-peer or a superior force in the foreseeable future which reflects in their design philosophy in addition to the survivability angle.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
Yeah, I see that. But even the Japanese and South Korean ships are rather densely packed with armaments. It seems to me that IN does not expect to engage a near-peer or a superior force in the foreseeable future which reflects in their design philosophy in addition to the survivability angle.
Could be... No matter what their size, Chink navy has far too many contested home-waters to allocate any meaningful force in IOR.

BTW both Japan & Korean navy are kinda top heavy. Most of their warships are destroyers, unlike us, they just hope to remain a threat to the Chinks until US can arrive to their rescue.
Again very very contrasting doctrines... Our navy is meant to take on two enemies independently. Lots of smaller ships (that are "chonkier" than any of their class) to outfight the pork frigates & to survive attack from larger Chink ships, while trying to get their own few needed shots through their AD.

I should give credit but, I don't remember where the fuck I read these stuff. Usually multiple places over a long time.

Last edited:

IndianHawk

Country flag
That's because their is no peer adversely in indian Ocean . Usa wants India to take charge of it and china has no capability to fight even a small war in indian Ocean . Their aircraft carriers are useless as j15 is a lemon.

So in has frigates the size of destroyers but with less armament so they can patrol more area . Once things heat up more armament will be added .

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
Indian navy is probably outbuilding everyone except usa and china .
Once vikrant goes operational we will have more tonnage than France and UK in the water.
And by 2030 it will be far higher, I feel our navy is so huge with the same amount of budget because of indigenous efforts only, else import hi import hoga type people always suffer like the Army suffered during the Operation Snow Leopard on 29/30th August 2020 waiting for FN SCARs and IAF Suffered on 27th Feb 2019 waiting for Rafales. Navy will be biggest force in IOR by 2030 if all goes right, and fast tracking of projects is necessary for the Navy.

ArgonPrime

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
That's because their is no peer adversely in indian Ocean . Usa wants India to take charge of it and china has no capability to fight even a small war in indian Ocean . Their aircraft carriers are useless as j15 is a lemon.
That was the reasoning behind my comment, yeah.
So in has frigates the size of destroyers but with less armament so they can patrol more area . Once things heat up more armament will be added .
I see. So that means IN ships sacrifice some weapon space in order to carry more fuel, right??

IndianHawk

Country flag
And by 2030 it will be far higher, I feel our navy is so huge with the same amount of budget because of indigenous efforts only, else import hi import hoga type people always suffer like the Army suffered during the Operation Snow Leopard on 29/30th August 2020 and IAF Suffered on 27th Feb 2019. Navy will be biggest force in IOR by 2030 if all goes right, and fast tracking of projects is necessary for the Navy.
Navy deserves creadit for going indigenous . It's natural for india to be prime power in indian Ocean .

By 2035 India might be third largest navy in the world surpassing Japan and Russia too. Though Russia has a lot of junk tonnage.

IndianHawk

Country flag
I see. So that means IN ships sacrifice some weapon space in order to carry more fuel, right??
Basically yes . Too much firepower is not necessary now so patrolling takes precedence.
ships are build bigger keeping in mind the vast areas of patrolling and future upgrade necessity.

P17A at 6600 tons would be considered destroyers in most of the world.

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
Basically yes . Too much firepower is not necessary now so patrolling takes precedence.
ships are build bigger keeping in mind the vast areas of patrolling and future upgrade necessity.

P17A at 6600 tons would be considered destroyers in most of the world.
When you have BrahMos and Barak-8 you don’t have to worry about firepower as you are assured that whatever you fire will hit and whatever is fired at you will get intercepted respectfully.

IndianHawk

Country flag
When you have BrahMos and Barak-8 you don’t have to worry about firepower as you are assured that whatever you fire will hit and whatever is fired at you will get intercepted respectfully.
That helps too . But in future as threat matrix changes armament will have to go up.

Bramhos firing can also be backed up by airforce as and when necessary.

Su30+ bramhos combo can take out any enemy ship as far as 2000 km away from coastline.

With bramhos ng more jets will be capable of this thus reducing the load on navy.

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
That helps too . But in future as threat matrix changes armament will have to go up.

Bramhos firing can also be backed up by airforce as and when necessary.

Su30+ bramhos combo can take out any enemy ship as far as 2000 km away from coastline.

With bramhos ng more jets will be capable of this thus reducing the load on navy.
I feel Indian Navy should go for 200+ TEDBF atleast as many can be deployed at Andaman and Nicobar Islands, and Andaman and Nicobar should be the prime hub for Indian Navy. Currently no fighter jets are deployed there and these Islands have huge strategic advantage, Also I would prefer in my opinion, Indian Airforce should purchase an additional S-400 Regiment for deployment at Andaman and Nicobar Islands.

Lonewolf

Psychopathic Neighbour
Country flag
I feel Indian Navy should go for 200+ TEDBF atleast as many can be deployed at Andaman and Nicobar Islands, and Andaman and Nicobar should be the prime hub for Indian Navy. Currently no fighter jets are deployed there and these Islands have huge strategic advantage, Also I would prefer in my opinion, Indian Airforce should purchase an additional S-400 Regiment for deployment at Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
Don't you think instead of navy acquiring teddy , navy should get orca , as it will definitely have more payload and better sensor , also after theaterization , we should feuld orca when ready on andman and lakshadweep .

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles