Indian Navy Developments & Discussions

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
I wish they could copy the design of the Visby class corvettes.
Unlikely... Visby is tiny at 650ton has only 4500km range.

If our platform is based on our OPV, then it'll be between 1500ton-2400ton & have range between 10000km-12500km (similar to the failed Sachi & exported Sayurala Class respct.) IN's smaller ship classes comprises of biggest vessels of their class in the world.

Last edited:

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
I know that, I should have said copy and enlarge the design. My bad. What I meant was they should copy the overall shape and then scale it up as the requirement.
Oh yeah, I looked into that too a while ago... Apparently naval warship's stealth only mean something if the ships are very small, or else a frigate giving out the RCS of a fishing-trawler wouldn't fool a naval officer. Plus now everyone has satellite to have a look.

And we can't go afford to go full-Zumwalt.

So IN's size policy is apparently to make sure the ship survive at hit or two. That's why the ditched the flush bow design of Shivalik Class in the Nilgiri Class.

ArgonPrime

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Oh yeah, I looked into that too a while ago... Apparently naval warship's stealth only mean something if the ships are very small, or else a frigate giving out the RCS of a fishing-trawler wouldn't fool a naval officer. Plus now everyone has satellite to have a look.
I see, didn't know that. Thanks for the info.
And we can't go afford to go full-Zumwalt.
Even the US of A can not, apparently.
So IN's size policy is apparently to make sure the ship survive at hit or two. That's why the ditched the flush bow design of Shivalik Class in the Nilgiri Class.
That makes sense. I just wonder why they leave their ships somewhat under-armed for their tonnage.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
I just wonder why they leave their ships somewhat under-armed for their tonnage.
From what I know, our second-line warships are just puffed up in size... ie, normally they'd have all been 500-1000ton smaller & ⅔rd their present size.
So they're armed like that only. The rest is just extra room to tank damage.

PS: Unlike us, the Chink ships are actually meant for their size & crammed with as many warheads as possible... So effectively their survivability is nowhere near our & will blow into inferno on just about every other hit (which they can afford, given their manufacturing power). And IN seems to be confident about their tech superiority being adequate to have quality over quantity effect.

Kinda like Arjun & Type-99. Doctrine difference show similarity, except unlike IA the IN seems to know what they want & what they're doing. 🙄

Last edited:

ArgonPrime

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
From what I know, our second-line warships are just puffed up in size... ie, normally they'd have all been 500-1000ton smaller & ⅔rd their present size.
So they're armed like thay only. The rest is just extra room to tank damage.
But don't you think this practice could bite the IN in its @rse if faced with an opponent like the PLAN??

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles