Indian Naval Aviation

ladder

Country flag
Shift INS Dega and hand over airport premises to AAI: Jairam Ramesh
Excerpts

The Congress leader urged that INS Dega be shifted to the 3,500 acres of land allotted to the Navy at Rambilli, which is 40 km from the Port City and where the Navy is establishing a nuclear submarine base and the entire airport premises including ATC and other facilities be handed over to AAI. The aprons, hangars and other facilities developed by INS Dega could appropriately be compensated, he said.

Shift INS Dega and hand over airport premises to AAI: Jairam Ramesh - The Times of India

==================
There was a proposal to develop Badangi airstrip for Navy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Badangi

Last edited:

Austinjimson

Hey guys is MiG-35 good for indian navy along with naval LCA because of advanced AESA radar??

Sent from my GT-I8730 using Tapatalk

Sea Eagle

Naval Air: Indian Navy Has Got The Blues Again

India's slow, corrupt and generally inept military procurement bureaucracy has struck again. This time it is all about naval anti-submarine helicopters. The navy currently has about 40 anti-submarine helicopters all of them more than two decades old and in need of replacement. But the Indian procurement bureaucrats decided the replacement should be an Indian designed and manufactured helicopter. That has not worked out. Back in 2010 the navy bought six of the Indian made Dhruvs for evaluation and did not like what they saw. The main complaints were lack of engine power and poor reliability. These were considered fatal flaws for helicopters operating off ships and used for SAR (search and rescue) and ASW (anti-submarine warfare) work.
The 5.5 ton Dhruv was in development for two decades before the first one was delivered in 2002. Over the next eight years nearly 80 were delivered, mostly to the Indian Army. But some foreign customers (Nepal and Myanmar) also took a few. A series of crashes indicates some basic design flaws, which the manufacturer insists do not exist. The navy disagrees, even though the fleet is desperate to replace over three dozen of its elderly Sea King helicopters (a 1950s design, and the Indian Navy models are 20-35 years old) and a dozen KA-28s.

The Ka-28 entered service in 1982, in the Soviet (later Russian) navy. The 12 ton Ka-28 is an anti-submarine aircraft, while the more recent Ka-31 is a much improved Ka-28 with a large radar (that is deployed underneath the helicopter once it is in the air), and acts as an early warning radar aircraft. The Ka-28/31 have a cruising speed of 205 kilometers an hour, and a top speed 270 kilometers an hour. Sorties for both helicopters average 3-4 hours. Both have a useful load of four tons (weapons and additional electronics). The Ka-28s and Ka-31s are export versions of the more lavishly equipped Ka-27, used by the Russian navy.
The Ka-28/31 do not have the finish, reliability or reputation of Western models, but cost a lot less, and still gets the job done. For that reason India is refurbishing ten of its Ka-28s, as soon as Defense Ministry officials sign off on the deal. This approval keeps getting delayed, for a variety reasons. The seagoing sailors need more and better anti-sub helicopters and at the moment they are getting neither. This is all too common with the Indian Navy, but for seagoing sailors it's something you never get used to. So at the moment there are only four operational Ka-28s, not even enough to equip the new Indian aircraft carrier; Vikramaditya. The navy would like to buy 16 new anti-sub helicopters, preferably from a Western supplier. The procurement bureaucracy and parliament are not cooperating.

Sea Eagle

Russia is ready to supply more helicopters for the Indian Navy, if it receives a request from the Indian side, the head of the biggest helicopter building company, Russian Helicopters, said on Tuesday.
"As for the Vikramaditya aircraft carrier, this will undoubtedly be a decision by the Indian side. The holding company (Russian Helicopters) will be ready to continue its program of deliveries to India under a contract with Rosoboronexport" Alexander Mikheyev said.
India has a fleet of Kamov Ka-28 anti-submarine warfare (ASW) helicopters and Ka-31 radar picket helicopters, but many of the former are in need of an upgrade according to sources.- "Correspondingly, if the Indian side will opt for these helicopters in the future, we are ready to meet this request," Mikheyev added.

The INS Vikramaditya carries 6 Ka-28s and Ka-31s. When the aircraft carrier was handed over to the Indian Navy in November 2013, Russian Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin suggested that the two countries consider the possibility of setting up a joint venture to assemble Kamov helicopters in India. "We have a serious proposal for India which refers not only to purchases of Russian helicopters. Russia as India's strategic partner proposes setting up a joint venture, including on India's territory," Rogozin said in November.

India at the moment has an urgent requirement for Ka-28s for its frigates, as many of the older helicopters are not believed to be in working condition. A deal is, however, not imminent. Defence procurements by India have more or less come to a standstill as the country's general elections are in their last phase, with the results due on Friday, May 16. A decision on purchases of helicopters is only likely to be made in June after a new government is sworn in and functional, sources told RIR. There are also concerns about the Ka-28 and Ka-31 helicopters in India since they are powered by Ukrainian engines, according to the sources.

Soumya1989

Indian Navy Gets 4th P-8I

This just in from Boeing: [Has] delivered the fourth P-8I maritime patrol aircraft to India on schedule, fulfilling the first half of a contract for eight aircraft.The aircraft departed from Boeing Field in Seattle and arrived May 21 at Naval Air Station Rajali, where it joined three P-8Is currently undergoing operational evaluation.

"This marks an important milestone -- the halfway point for P-8I deliveries to India," said Dennis Swanson, BDS vice president in India. "The Indian Navy is putting the first three P-8Is through their paces operationally, and the P-8I delivered today will begin flight trials in the coming months," said Leland Wight, Boeing P-8I program manager.

Livefist: Indian Navy Gets 4th P-8I

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
*Useless/pointless discussion*

Should India go for MiG-35K, Rafale-N or AMCA-N for IAC2

IAC2 should be ready not before 2028-2029

Rafale-N is ready today

MiG-35K should be ready by 2019

AMCA-N should be ready by the time IAC2 is ready.

SajeevJino

Long walk
Country flag
^^^

Looks like some one Edited the Photo

Not a actual one

cobra commando

Tharki regiment
Country flag
Russia to repair
Indian anti- submarine aircraft

ZHUKOVSKY /Moscow region/, August 15./ITAR-TASS/. A Russian producer of anti- submarine planes said it will effect consecutive repairs of five Il-38SD aircraft which are in service with India, Director General of the Il company Yuri Yudin told ITAR-TASS on Friday. "We're overhauling the second Indian aircraft, and the next plane is to arrive in about four months," Yudin said, adding that the overhaul would include a minor upgrade. He said India was no longer interested in these planes and that their further sales were unlikely. India purchased five Il-38s in 1975 - 1983; in the 2000s they were upgraded to the Sea Dragon version, featuring 14 hours of loiter time at a speed of 400 km/h. The maximum speed of these planes is 610 km/h, and the maximum range is 6,500 kilometers. In 2009, India signed a $2.1- billion contract to purchase eight US-made P-8I Poseidon anti-submarine aircraft. The first plane was supplied in 2013. India has an option to buy four more planes for $1 billion.
ITAR-TASS: Economy - Russia to repair Indian anti-submarine aircraft

cobra commando

Tharki regiment
Country flag
Navy scouts submarine- hunting Sonobuoys for Il-38 fleet

August 19, 2014: The Indian Navy intends to procure 1,000 Passive Directional Sonobuoy systems to hunt submarines for its Il-38SD maritime surveillance and anti-submarine warfare aircraft fleet. The sonobuoys are primarily intended as an aid for search, surveillance and localisation of submarines using the sonobuoy receiver system already integrated on the Il-38SD aircraft. The navy has stipulated that the sonobuoys should be passive directional and should be capable of being operated with the sonobuoy receiver system of Il-38SD stationed at INS Hansa, Goa. The sonobuoy should have a minimum detection range of 6 km and it should be able to operate for minimum 2 hours post deployment. The sonobuoy should have the facility to select depths at which the hydrophones can be deployed with the maximum depth that the hydrophone of the sonobuoy should be able to operate being not less than 300 metres. Satisfactory performance of the sonobuoy will be ascertained and certified by the end user through established trial procedures of the Indian Navy in coordination with the vendor.
Navy scouts submarine hunting Sonobuoys for Il 38 fleet - SP's MAI

HMS Astute

P-8I Poseidon bombing run

US is offering this aircraft (2,222km range) to the UK to fill our maritime patrol capability. But, the defence ministers are highly against it as it is a lot inferior compared to Nimrod (9,265km range) which were decommissioned a while ago due to budget cuts. I guess, the BAE Systems or Rolls-Royce will come up with a solution to introduce a new version of Nimrod II with longer range and bigger payload for Royal Navy.

bhramos

Country flag
US is offering this aircraft (2,222km range) to the UK to fill our maritime patrol capability. But, the defence ministers are highly against it as it is a lot inferior compared to Nimrod (9,265km range) which were decommissioned a while ago due to budget cuts. I guess, the BAE Systems or Rolls-Royce will come up with a solution to introduce a new version of Nimrod II with longer range and bigger payload for Royal Navy.
almost same here, Tu-142M Range: 6775 nautical miles (12,550 km). so upgrading Tu-142M to Tu-142ME,

bhramos

Country flag
Indian navy took delivery of another Tu-142ME antisubmarine aircraft

https://engineeringrussia.wordpress.com/category/aircraft/

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles