Indian Military Trucks

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
Sadly apart from the face lift the AL trucks still have old solid axial even in the front and i suppose the same old AL engines. Either way local stuff means good serviceability and spare parts availability, which is crucial.

pmaitra

Sadly apart from the face lift the AL trucks still have old solid axial even in the front and i suppose the same old AL engines. Either way local stuff means good serviceability and spare parts availability, which is crucial.
What is "solid axial?" How old is old? Yes, AL is still using the same old engines as they were using 15 months back, but definitely not the same old engines they were using 15 years back.

Click <<here>> to see the technical details.

AVERAGE INDIAN

EXORCIST
Country flag

New Delhi, June 16
Considered as the 'backbone' of the Indian Army's rapid response to any attack along the western front for long, the Czech-built Tatra trucks may not be purchased from now on. The reason: India-built trucks have now improved a lot and could be selected for forthcoming expansion drive or replacements for Tatra trucks, resulting in saving foreign exchange and unhinging India's reliance on foreign suppliers.

Purchase of Tatra trucks had become controversial and the contract of 1,676 high-mobility Tatra trucks was stopped after former Army Chief Gen VK Singh alleged in February 2012 that there was an attempt to bribe him for clearing the deal. The CBI then booked VRS Natarajan, chief of the Bharat Earth Movers Limited (BEML), in April last year. The BEML was the Indian partner of Tatra. A retired Army officer and a private individual have also been booked by the CBI.

Now ending Tatra's monopoly in India, the Army has completed trials for two types of trucks to replace Tatra - the six-wheeled-drive high-mobility vehicle and the eight-wheeled-drive high-mobility vehicles. The plan is to buy 1,239 units of the first variety and another 255 of the second variety.

The trials have been conducted for all specified parameters under winter and summer conditions and with truck carrying full load, some times in excess of 20 tonnes. The shift to India-made trucks also falls in line with Defence Minister AK Antony's policy of ramping up indigenous production while reducing dependence on foreign vendors.

"This was an open tender which was to seek vehicles that can run on mud-paths, deserts, through slushy agricultural field, through small rivers and even river banks while carrying heavy equipment. The trials are complete," said a senior officer. The Army expects the first set of vehicles to be inducted by the middle of 2014.

The importance of the high-mobility Tatra vehicles can be gauged from the fact that strike-power of the Indian Army is moved on such trucks. In real war-time scenario, the mobility will have to be high. The BrahMos missile, Pinaka multi-barrel rocket launcher and its sibling, the Smerch, are also carried on such trucks.

Also field radars and mobile bridges, which will help tanks to cross small water bodies like canals, are carried on such trucks. In today's networked scenario carrying heavy equipment of rail would make it easier for enemy UAVs and satellites to identify. Trucks can be scattered and be under some camouflage increasing their chances of ensuring a strike. As of now, all the three strike formations at Ambala, Mathura and Bhopal rely on such trucks for rapid response.

Made in India

The Army has completed trials for two types of trucks to replace Tatra - the six-wheeled-drive high-mobility vehicle and the eight-wheeled-drive high-mobility vehicles.
The plan is to buy 1,239 units of the first variety and another 255 of the second variety
The trials have been conducted for all specified parameters under winter and summer conditions and with truck carrying full load
The shift to India-made trucks also falls in line with AK Antony's policy of giving a boost to indigenous production

The Tribune, Chandigarh, India - Main News

pmaitra

I have one question: Who is, or who are the manufacturer(s) of the new truck(s)? Tata, Ashok Leyland, and perhaps Ural India? I know KamAZ also makes trucks in India, but, their boss is the same as the Tatra boss.

AVERAGE INDIAN

EXORCIST
Country flag
i thinK TATA , LEYLAN And URAL are the manufacturer(s) of the new truck(s) who is in the game know not much news about KAMAZ

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
Would be great if we use our own stuff as much as possible rather than scammy foreign defense deals putting load on tax payers.

Blackwater

As per my technical knowledge TATA and LEYLAND trucks can not match TATRA in speed ,agility,load capacity.

arkem8

Country flag
As per my technical knowledge TATA and LEYLAND trucks can not match TATRA in speed ,agility,load capacity.
The trucks you are comparing are not in the same category, the newer TATA and AL trucks(the one pictured above) are very competitive. The TATA one has been seen to carry the Prahaar Missile System.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
So, your technical knowledge based on someone else mouth ?

I was under impression that you may know why, so that you are saying so ..

There was interview by BEML engineer , who confess that TATRA trucks are technically better than TATA and LELYland

try to find that interview

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Let me put some specs here >>

-----------------

BEML TATRA 815

Type : Tatra (8x8).
Horsepower : .355 HP.
Payload : 12000 Kg.

==================

TATA LPTA 3138

Type : Tata (8x8).
Horsepower "¢ 375 HP
Payload "¢ Payload of 17000 kg

===================

Ashok Layland : Super Stallion

Type : Ashoke Layland (8x8).
Horsepower "¢ 360 HP
Payload "¢ Payload of 19000 kg

==============
==============

Specs are taken from company websites including BEML TATRA, which cannot be wrong..

From the above, BEML tatra is most least preform-ace truck compare to TATA or Ashok Layland..
@pmaitra @bengalraider

Last edited by a moderator:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
I agree to some extend, Not for rocky terrain but its suspension..

But i hope, you provide me some link..

one of the points he raised was TATRA platform and suspension provide better stability in rough and rocky terrain. .

Blackwater

I agree to some extend, Not for rocky terrain but its suspension..

But i hope, you provide me some link..
BEML chief bats for Tatra trucks' 'unmatched' quality

NEW DELHI: Dismissing Army chief General V K Singh's comments that the Tatra trucks were sub-standard as simply "not true'', defence PSU Bharat Earth Movers Limited (BEML) chairman V R S Natarajan on Friday said previous chiefs like Gen J J Singh had given a thumbs-up to these all-terrain, all-weather heavy vehicles.

Natarajan said the Army was diluting technical specifications and qualitative requirements for new trucks to open the door for other companies when the Tatra trucks, with "flexible axles and air-cooled engines'', were unmatched in terms of their quality.

He added that an 8x8 heavy-duty truck, with a fixed axle and a missile loaded on its back, of another company had ``sunk'' during a test in the Thar desert recently.

http://articles.timesofindia.indiat...ndia/31265823_1_tatra-trucks-tatra-sipox-beml

Last edited:

Blackwater

DRDO head says Tatra trucks are fine

Contradicting Army Chief Gen. V.K. Singh, DRDO chief V.K. Saraswat on Saturday said Tatra trucks were "outstanding" and there was nothing substandard about the vehicles used as base for launching all important missiles like Prithvi and Agni.

"Tatra truck is an outstanding truck... They have a very good cross country capability and can move at good speeds," Mr. Saraswat said at a press conference at Defence Expo here.
DRDO head says Tatra trucks are fine | The Hindu

Blackwater

iam sure TATRA will out perform TATA and leyland in road test with full load capacity .Example missile on top

Last edited by a moderator: