Indian Economy: News and Discussion

slayingheaven

Country flag
too much central control and hence too much bureaucracy then. Won’t be able to get anything done.
I have 1000% more faith in Central Govt "Babus"(Yes,Babus themselves) to get together our cities than failed Sub-human IQ level retards in City Municipalities. After seeing my Tier-2 City Management for some 15 years.

Crazywithmath

Country flag
too much central control and hence too much bureaucracy then. Won’t be able to get anything done.
My suggestion is based on Indian realities. Even the states are far too incompetent to focus on things that actually matter - the GoI has got their back; else, many of them would go the Sri Lanka way. Which begs the question - when even the state governments, who happen to have far more resources and better expertise at their disposal, cannot get their shit done how do you expect the local bodies to fare any better? Had the local corporators been capable enough they would have figured out urban infra years ago....

And while we are at it, most corporations, municipalities, panchayats, zilla parishads are corrupt to the bone and their elections are a shitshow;

Halting these stupid elections will be a net positive for the society and save exchequer's money.

Last edited:

Blademaster

My suggestion is based on Indian realities. Even the states are far too incompetent to focus on things that actually matter - the GoI has got their back; else, many of them would go the Sri Lanka way. Which begs the question - when even the state governments, who happen to have far more resources and better expertise at their disposal, cannot get their shit done how do you expect the local bodies to fare any better? Had the local corporators been capable enough they would have figured out urban infra years ago....

And while we are at it, most corporations, municipalities, panchayats, zilla parishads are corrupt to the bone and their elections are a shitshow;

Halting these stupid elections will be a net positive for the society and save exchequer's money.
I have heard this song and dance before and it took a while to realize that a decentralized approach is still the best way as long as you can pull off the necessary training, certification and compliance. One way to achieve that is that no state shall receive money until all their departments are in compliance with standards and verification etc. that would strongly motivate the state governments to make sure that their employees are up to the task and doing the job as expected while at the same time maintain a decentralized approach.

nongaddarliberal

Country flag
With the cascade of AI news every day, I'm hearing almost nothing from India. Till now I've read only about krutrim. But serious AI development and application is largely missing from our discourse, much less actual practice. In the west there's now drug discovery through AI, constant improvement in LLMs, video generation, and massive H100 farms. Any rumblings from India?

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
These are the things you'd know anecdotally if you've worked in the core sector.
That's why I negated you at first place.
There aren't enough core companies in this country, and most of them don't recruit many graduate engineers. They typically hire a small number(mostly in single or double digits), primarily from the best Tier-1 colleges.
That is nonsense. Majority of engineers work appear from even below Tier-3 colleges including me and climb with experience and job switching.

Good companies do not hire students below 50-60% marks or incompetence and students having anything over it are largely unemployed by choice. Since there is a staffing crisis in industry and industries don't mass hire students from Tier-1 & 2 colleges, we can consider the validity of bold part above completely null & void.

Tier-1 & 2 colleges are for getting an initial high packages. Experienced & clevers professionals end up chickening out anyone against them.

At that time, there is no relevance of college left. IITian might be left doing some industrial engineering work while T3 lad would have become Business Head/VP.

I hope you know what I mean by "core sector" (construction, shipbuilding, oil & gas, power automotives and industries supporting them like forging or factory makers). IT and Finance are not "core" sectors and their revenue isn't even a fraction of "core industries".

Just enlist any 5 of these major firms like L&T/Reliance/any automotive company and see total staff strength vs Tier-I strength. That's enough to hold your statement null & void.

Tier-I college selections are special, and incredibly small in numbers & done by companies to get management trainees (who do not stay most of the times at first place and often are outcompeted by experienced professionals).
However, Tier-1 colleges represent a tiny minority of the total colleges in the country. The vast majority of students are from Tier 2 and beyond, for whom entry into the core field is extremely difficult, if not impossible.
Tier-I & II combined students do not form bulk of any company’s staff. Tier-III & random college students do.

And can you explain me the underlined part? You either have miswritten something or are claiming companies only hire from IIT/NIT level institutions (which is absolutely LOL).

At best, these graduates can get into a low-paying vendor company where they have to work in very demanding and dangerous conditions for a pittance. If they are exceptionally lucky and work extremely hard, they might eventually secure a better-paying job.
But the vast majority would likely remain stuck in frustratingly stagnant low salaries, eventually prompting them to quit and pursue other opportunities. Those with big money usually leave abroad to pursue MS.
LOL?

Graduates don't work in "dangerous" conditions in any notable corp, diploma technicians do.

Since, I have found you absolutely unable to provide any supporting stat and come up with random thoughts, I request you at least lay down the measurable parameters of a "small company", "low salary" and please, some stats or case studies actually supporting your 200 page long word.

No offence intended but this post certainly wasn't written by a corporate employee. It was written by a revolutionary chacha who criticises government on Chai ki tapri with Dainik Bhaskar.
Whatabouttery and shifting goalpost isn't a good way to argue.

Last edited:

omaebakabaka

With the cascade of AI news every day, I'm hearing almost nothing from India. Till now I've read only about krutrim. But serious AI development and application is largely missing from our discourse, much less actual practice. In the west there's now drug discovery through AI, constant improvement in LLMs, video generation, and massive H100 farms. Any rumblings from India?
There is nothing as our IT sweatshops are useless and it's another wave we didn't ride....keep counting.... If any you will see from drdo and isro and institutes like that.

omaebakabaka

That election circus needs to go away, it's nonsensical. Those leaders that get elected aren't worth even the cheapest of the whores anywhere brain or body. CCP like Bharat conscious system would do magic

omaebakabaka

I have 1000% more faith in Central Govt "Babus"(Yes,Babus themselves) to get together our cities than failed Sub-human IQ level retards in City Municipalities. After seeing my Tier-2 City Management for some 15 years.
Even a dog or donkey would do a better job than these mofos. Pure waste of space on planet.

omaebakabaka

City Administrators need more power. They need to be independent of the state government and need to have funding sources so they don't have to beg to the state governments for funds.
Only unelected machinery ruling cities on a fixed term may do something as they have no consequences. Infra should be taken out from politicians control and so do few other departments around urban centers.

nongaddarliberal

Country flag
Related to this is the out of control spending habits of the Indian middle class and decreasing savings rates today. Everyone wants to spend on luxury items and take multiple EMI's, which is a disturbing copy of western spending patterns. Our middle class is disregarding Indian conventional wisdom on saving 30% + of your salary and not buying unnecessary garbage.

Everyone is under the false belief that consumer spending leads to a better economy, whereas thats not true for a developing country. India needs to invest more, not spend everything on consumer items. Investments can come from domestic savings, which will then be used by banks to give out as loans to viable recipients, or from investing in mutual funds.

Beyond the top 1%, nobody should be buying 30 lakh priced cars, or spending anything more than 1 lakh a month. Let these useless luxury businesses such as fancy schools, spas, expensive holidays etc crumble. Let this money be put into banks and investments which will give much higher returns in the future as well as encourage productive employment in sectors that are worth the investment (factories, ports, R&D facilities, AI, robotics, CNC, infrastructure etc).
Slow loss of cultural financial wisdom, pressure from current gen materialistic wives and trying to keep up with the neighbours for no logical reason. All combined with a rising tide of loan apps targeting the tier 2 and 3 dehati youth. I'm not going along with the positive spin they're trying to put on it in this segment.

HariPrasad-1

Country flag

This is a very bad culture deveoping in India called Misselling.
From Hospitals , doctors , to banks and now schools.
Every profession has become salesman
Very correct. You always have a profit motive while dealing with customer. This Ch**ya western culture of treating human as resource and treating students as customer will lead the system towards disaster and nowhere else.

Spindrift

If you get 1 lakh per month, your savings rate will exceed $243 dollars per month.
Only if you are living in a tier 2 city or if you own your home and do not have to pay any EMIs in Tier 1 city. If you are in a metro then no as you'll be paying EMIs or rent or both and your school fees, etc

Roshan

Country flag
That's why I negated you at first place.

That is nonsense. Majority of engineers work appear from even below Tier-3 colleges including me and climb with experience and job switching.

Good companies do not hire students below 50-60% marks or incompetence and students having anything over it are largely unemployed by choice. Since there is a staffing crisis in industry and industries don't mass hire students from Tier-1 & 2 colleges, we can consider the validity of bold part above completely null & void.

Tier-1 & 2 colleges are for getting an initial high packages. Experienced & clevers professionals end up chickening out anyone against them.

At that time, there is no relevance of college left. IITian might be left doing some industrial engineering work while T3 lad would have become Business Head/VP.

I hope you know what I mean by "core sector" (construction, shipbuilding, oil & gas, power automotives and industries supporting them like forging or factory makers). IT and Finance are not "core" sectors and their revenue isn't even a fraction of "core industries".

Just enlist any 5 of these major firms like L&T/Reliance/any automotive company and see total staff strength vs Tier-I strength. That's enough to hold your statement null & void.

Tier-I college selections are special, and incredibly small in numbers & done by companies to get management trainees (who do not stay most of the times at first place and often are outcompeted by experienced professionals).

Tier-I & II combined students do not form bulk of any company’s staff. Tier-III & random college students do.

And can you explain me the underlined part? You either have miswritten something or are claiming companies only hire from IIT/NIT level institutions (which is absolutely LOL).

LOL?

Graduates don't work in "dangerous" conditions in any notable corp, diploma technicians do.

Since, I have found you absolutely unable to provide any supporting stat and come up with random thoughts, I request you at least lay down the measurable parameters of a "small company", "low salary" and please, some stats or case studies actually supporting your 200 page long word.

No offence intended but this post certainly wasn't written by a corporate employee. It was written by a revolutionary chacha who criticises government on Chai ki tapri with Dainik Bhaskar.
Whatabouttery and shifting goalpost isn't a good way to argue.
Not saying what you're saying is incorrect but for long I have heard that core Engg disciplines haven't grown the way IT and IT adjacent fields have ie Electrical, Civil, Mechanical, Chemical etc. and a big reason is the pay packages at the start. Fresher compares what he is earning to what someone is earning at Infy or TCS and thus loses patience to grow and learn in the industry. They think the pay off is better to gain 2-3 yrs experience in India and get better paying jobs for the same profile either in Middle East or places like Germany where core, technical fields have a demand or do a master's degree and make a switch.
Civil and Mechanical sometimes have site work which means you're not always sitting in formals in an AC room like you would be in IT and Finance.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
AI in India

for last known public info on AI strategies by private companies, you will have to go thru discussions during global technology summit organised by carnegie India in dec

summary, but keep in mind topics selected will be from american perspective since carnegie is a US think tank.

Last edited:

sauntheninja

Country flag
Only unelected machinery ruling cities on a fixed term may do something as they have no consequences. Infra should be taken out from politicians control and so do few other departments around urban centers.
Cities are just seen as money making machines. Mint lots of money through alcohol taxes property taxes car taxes tolls hafta etc and spent all that money in freebies for poorer regions or keep it to yourself and have more money than god

vishnugupt

Country flag
Slow loss of cultural financial wisdom, pressure from current gen materialistic wives and trying to keep up with the neighbours for no logical reason. All combined with a rising tide of loan apps targeting the tier 2 and 3 dehati youth. I'm not going along with the positive spin they're trying to put on it in this segment.

Previously men used to born in wilderness, used to help family in field, then study hard. Making great discoveries while fighting in trenches. Raising big family. Knowing 10000s of by face. Taking loan was considered as shameful.

Now days for this Gen Z. If 30 years old not taking drugs and not having mental disorder is biggest achievement of life. Loves dwelling on freebies.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
City Administrators need more power. They need to be independent of the state government and need to have funding sources so they don't have to beg to the state governments for funds.
assuming there is clarity on this part of the equation, if this does happen and cost of living rises in that city because of monetisation of public assets, will the public not start complaining about cost of living?

let's look at an existing case study.

AAP came to power in delhi. what were the original issues that kejri picked up after he officially entered electoral politics, water and electricity.

how did electricity become an issue in delhi? because delhi govt had privatised electric companies for revenue. which in turn lead to faulty electric metre installation in parts of delhi where people were getting 40,000 monthly bill because of those metres having same grounding for multiple houses. it was resolved after much public protest during shiela dixit time but public anxiety remained. which is why this photo became famous. kejri used this public anxiety to give free electricity.

2000 - delhi electricty reform act
2002-2003 - private companies take over
2005-2007 - above mentioned electricity bill issue
2011-2012 - kejri enters picture

this reform and consequences cycle alone is a decade long.

1712728527603.png

this is to say, when one problem is being solved, others crop up. governance is a continuous process of solving problems as they come.

Last edited:

Crazywithmath

Country flag
Even the saner columnists have gone full retard; quoted article practically begs the readers to elect the clown prince, sugarcoats his tantrums and claims he is not all that bad. Pathetic!

"A lot of what's happening right now is cyclical and situational."

Yeah, my foot!

omaebakabaka

Cities are just seen as money making machines. Mint lots of money through alcohol taxes property taxes car taxes tolls hafta etc and spent all that money in freebies for poorer regions or keep it to yourself and have more money than god
Yes, donkeys without brains. It's stupidity to the last mile, how much money one needs? Shakaracharya composed bhajagovindam for these donkey types.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles