Indian Economy: News and Discussion

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
dog groomers, weed whackers, lead blowers, laundromats .....
you both need to stop :pound:

I just concluded my visit to India. Overall I had a positive experience but I also experienced some disappointments. For example being, I saw so much trashed all along the highways of India when I traveled from Delhi to Haridwar and from Delhi to Corbett Park. The level of pollution and strewn trash is stunning. Don't state and local governments have budgets to include highway cleanup, trash pickup, and road repair & maintenance. Also lawn & median maintenance business is a huge unrealized business opportunity and can be if utilized properly be a jobs creator for millions of poor people, not to mention an untapped market for leaf blowers, trimmers, weed whackers, and mechanized road cleaner vehicles. Road repair & maintenance crews could be also a good source of job employment. You can set up verification of work timely completed in satisfactory manner by using aerial drones with sufficient imaging recognition software and AI to verify quality and on time completion.

As the French famously said, "We may not have resources but we have resourcefulness"
Yes. I feel that too. Several businesses are missing in India - like landscaping companies, rental management agencies, city Garbage collection services, road maintenance services, car wash, spas, professional cleaners, nail salons, wellness spas, high street retail, installation services, fitness juice bars, dog groomers, laundromats, many repair services and so many more. All these can generate crores of jobs for youth and make everyone’s lives way easier. A lot of entrepreneurship is missing in basic services. Entrepreneurship doesn’t mean just IT, space, robotics or any STEM field. Basic services also need proper businesses to be run.

Blademaster

No, state and local govt don't have budgets for those sort of things.
delhi to haridwar, wasn't there a expressway construction happening next to the current road?
To a certain extent,yes but that is not the source of trash. Along state and local roads from the national highway, there were a lot of trash and polluted rivers and ponds and such.

They should have such budgets. They could prove beneficial because it means that the state governments would be able to kill three birds with one stone,i.e., 1) provide job program 2) clean up the countryside and local roads making the area looking good for investment, and 3) provide the state ability to end the massive subsidies because they would be already providing jobs to the poor.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
To a certain extent,yes but that is not the source of trash. Along state and local roads from the national highway, there were a lot of trash and polluted rivers and ponds and such.

They should have such budgets. They could prove beneficial because it means that the state governments would be able to kill three birds with one stone,i.e., 1) provide job program 2) clean up the countryside and local roads making the area looking good for investment, and 3) provide the state ability to end the massive subsidies because they would be already providing jobs to the poor.
uttarakhand state budget is about 66000 crores, that's about 8 billion $. they don't have the budget.
after haridwar, they don't have plains for industrial area, only hills.

Blademaster

Perhaps a separate thread can be created for all the disillusioned NRI's. They can post their rants over there.
How is it a rant? How's it different from any other Indian complaining about the affairs of India? Get real :bplease:

It is called wanting to have a better standard of living and having aspirations, goals, and the necessary mindset and drive to do something about it. Otherwise you are just like the Congress leaders who simply told us to be content with what we have and shut up.

So by going that statement above, I take you as to be another Congressiwalla who would tell his constituents to shut up and be content and leave him alone and keep voting for him no matter what.

Blademaster

uttarakhand state budget is about 66000 crores, that's about 8 billion $. they don't have the budget.
after haridwar, they don't have plains for industrial area, only hills.
I am talking about the subsidies and MNREGA programs. We could put those funds to good use by diverting the funds from useless activities into something that would be very beneficial for the common good of all Indians.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Talk about a lack of vision, :bplease:. Tell me, have you ever travel outside of India?
"lack of vision" is what i was laughing about, the vision of ground realities.

oh please, don't give me "have you ever travel outside of India?" crap. it's down right patronising. not acceptable if the intent is to have a normal conversation with me.

Blademaster

oh please, don't give me "have you ever travel outside of India?" crap. it's down right patronising. not acceptable if the intent is to have a normal conversation with me.
Ok then explain to me this part:
you both need to stop :pound:
How is that not patronizing at all? I didn't start that tone, you did.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Ok then explain to me this part:

How is that not patronizing at all? I didn't start that tone, you did.
i am not presuming you don't know about ground realities of where you live, you are presuming we don't know about ground realities of where we live.

Blademaster

I saw the ground realities and saw that having leaf blowers instead of using primitive tools such as sweepers and sticks with primitive prongs and having them take a long time to clean one part of the road when a two man crew equipped with leaf blowers could clean up a decent stretch of the highway in no time.

I invite you to come over to the West and US and see how they are able to keep vast stretches of highways clean even though they have way more cars than India does and produce way more trash than India does.

karn

Country flag
Yes. I feel that too. Several businesses are missing in India - like landscaping companies, rental management agencies, city Garbage collection services, road maintenance services, car wash, spas, professional cleaners, nail salons, wellness spas, high street retail, installation services, fitness juice bars, dog groomers, laundromats, many repair services and so many more. All these can generate crores of jobs for youth and make everyone’s lives way easier. A lot of entrepreneurship is missing in basic services. Entrepreneurship doesn’t mean just IT, space, robotics or any STEM field. Basic services also need proper businesses to be run.
All these are there in tier 1 cities .. You won't see it cause the number is small corresponding to the size of the market.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
I am talking about the subsidies and MNREGA programs. We could put those funds to good use by diverting the funds from useless activities into something that would be very beneficial for the common good of all Indians.
that's not what MNREGA is designed for, it's for building and maintaining pubic assets in and around their own villages during non-agricultural season.

The works have been divided into 10 broad categories like Watershed, Irrigation and Flood management works, Agricultural and Livestock related works, Fisheries and works in coastal areas and the Rural Drinking water and Sanitation related works.

you can get a sense of what they do from here..

RoaringTigerHiddenDragon

Country flag
Perhaps a separate thread can be created for all the disillusioned NRI's. They can post their rants over there.
Is Modi an NRI? What about his vikasit bharat, swachch bharat etc? All jhoomla I guess, like the congis are barking?
I am pretty positive that inadequate urban development and business services is leading to 1-2% less gdp growth per year. Money making is money making. You don’t do that, your GDP is less and your income does not grow. Simple.

RoaringTigerHiddenDragon

Country flag
I saw the ground realities and saw that having leaf blowers instead of using primitive tools such as sweepers and sticks with primitive prongs and having them take a long time to clean one part of the road when a two man crew equipped with leaf blowers could clean up a decent stretch of the highway in no time.

I invite you to come over to the West and US and see how they are able to keep vast stretches of highways clean even though they have way more cars than India does and produce way more trash than India does.
Yes this is something I find missing in a lot of Indians - 90% are not aware of what is going on in other countries, how machines are used, how things are done quickly and efficiently, how GDP is grown, how businesses are done, how cities are professionally run etc. They don’t understand. They just don’t. Only very few Indians travel the world mainly to see their kids in Amreeka or kaneeda. They unnecessarily think that such things cannot be done here. They don’t know that electric blower is really cheap and much more powerful than the back breaking jhaaadu.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
They don’t know that electric blower is really cheap and much more powerful than the back breaking jhaaadu.
sure, come over. set up a leaf blower manufacturing plant. you are welcome.
don't think anyone on this forum is going to object to you being driver of the change you seek for India.

here's the link to get you started...

karn

Country flag
I dunno why folks are so defensive about some of the the point our NRI bros are raising ..
Yes some of their points may come across as elitist . But the point on garbage handling absolutely stands .
It really should be unacceptable to have random piles of garbage in any place. And no this is not some comparison with any foreign country . I have lived in absolutely cramped ass neighbourhood in blore (one of the dirtiest cities as per the consensus here) with less than 30 feet road width that used to have a garbage pile every 70 meters or so . But one day the municipality got its head out of its ass and cleaned everything up .. Magically the neighbourhood became so much more liveable .. I don't even need to go into the examples of Indore or Surat here for how clean things can get here.

@RoaringTigerHiddenDragon

Classroom lessons in civic duty will fail here every time . I starkly remember sitting in "moral studies" classes .. What works here is shame .. Shame the asshole that dumps garbage. What works after shame is danda , So if shame does not work apply danda .
But any danda or shame has to first overcome the broken window fallacy .

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
I dunno why folks are so defensive about some of the the point our NRI bros are raising ..
Yes some of their points may come across as elitist . But the point on garbage handling absolutely stands .
It really should be unacceptable to have random piles of garbage in any place. And no this is not some comparison with any foreign country . I have lived in absolutely cramped ass neighbourhood in blore (one of the dirtiest cities as per the consensus here) with less than 30 feet road width that used to have a garbage pile every 70 meters or so . But one day the municipality got its head out of its ass and cleaned everything up .. Magically the neighbourhood became so much more liveable .. I don't even need to go into the examples of Indore or Surat here for how clean things can get here.

@RoaringTigerHiddenDragon

Classroom lessons in civic duty will fail here every time . I starkly remember sitting in "moral studies" classes .. What works here is shame .. Shame the asshole that dumps garbage. What works after shame is danda , So if shame does not work apply danda .
But any danda or shame has to first overcome the broken window fallacy .
our NRI bros can teach India how to handle garbage too, they are welcome to come here, study the market, set up a company, bid for tenders in municipal corporations.
for cities that haven't adopted mechanised cleaning, they can always make an offer those municipal corporations can't refuse.

India now a days is like wild west of infra upgrades, who knows they might strike gold too. hee haa!!! :cowboy:

there are so many open tenders available across India, and they keep on coming.

Last edited:

RoaringTigerHiddenDragon

Country flag
sure, come over. set up a leaf blower manufacturing plant. you are welcome.
don't think anyone on this forum is going to object to you being driver of the change you seek for India.

here's the link to get you started...
Arre bhaisahab, electric blowers are already on Amazon.in. Probably cheap imports from cheeni land. What I am saying is most people don’t even know it exists and/or are afraid of machines. It is just like hair blowers that Indian companies already make. It is no big deal.

RoaringTigerHiddenDragon

Country flag
our NRI bros can teach India how to handle garbage too, they are welcome to come here, study the market, set up a company, bid for tenders in municipal corporations.
for cities that haven't adopted mechanised cleaning, they can always make an offer those municipal corporations can't refuse.

India now a days is like wild west of infra upgrades, who knows they might strike gold too. hee haa!!! :cowboy:

there are so many open tenders available across India, and they keep on coming.

Clearly large private garbage collection is not working as a viable business probably due to bhikha hua municipal babus and safai karamchari andolans. lol.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles