Indian Economy: News and Discussion

Physx32

Country flag
Arre bhaisahab, electric blowers are already on Amazon.in. Probably cheap imports from cheeni land. What I am saying is most people don’t even know it exists and/or are afraid of machines. It is just like hair blowers that Indian companies already make. It is no big deal.
To clean up our cities, first the entire street needs to be washed with pressure washers to clean up the heaps of trash and dust.

Then for regular cleaning, we need to use sweepers like this:

For narrow streets, manually operated pressure washers can be used.

Also, we need to plant grass on exposed soil to prevent dust from blowing. Planting a few shrubs won't do anything (that's what the corporations currently do).

Finally, the citizens need to be civilised. Else, nobody can keep up with the generated trash.

rockdog

Country flag
SHEIN is a total garbage company - they make harmful textiles and every Chinese fraud scheme exists in the making of these textiles. Many of SHEIN clothes are made with slave labor in occupied Tibet. Reliance is a big fan of Chinese manufacturing - right from introducing Chinese train sets in their only metro line to using several cheap Chinese parts in their refineries etc. Profits matter for big corporations.
This is stupid claim.

Tibet only has 4 millions population, and 2000km aways from any sea port. But Shein supply chain brings new SKU every 7 days, Tibet is the last place for manufacture.

U should learn basic geography and economics before talk.

Haldilal

लड़ते लड़ते जीना है, लड़ते लड़ते मरना है
Country flag
Ya'll Nibbiars

angryIndian

Country flag
We are well past that stage.

We were threatened that all KPO/BPO will move to Philippines during 2010-12 era. Nothing happened. They can talk with US accent, but they lack the technical and troubleshooting skills we have.
You didn't get my original point.

If we get complacent thinking companies will remain in India irrespective of whatever we do, solely due to our large workforce, You would be gravely mistaken.

I remember back in 2005-2006, many people dismissed the idea that the call center business would shift to the Philippines. The prevailing thought at the time was that India had a larger pool of English-speaking workers. But then the accent problem became too enormous, so much so that companies were forced to relocate to the Philippines.

India's large population of IT engineers is a valuable asset, but it alone does not guarantee the country's continued success in the IT sector.

If the government makes stupid moves like reservations in the IT sector or reintroduce retrospective tax laws,rest assured India's IT sector will take a severe hit.

Haldilal

लड़ते लड़ते जीना है, लड़ते लड़ते मरना है
Country flag
Ya'll Nibbiars The Japanese reentered the chip making business with a bang and ahead of it's rivaels due to the Taiwan crises. We need to learn from them how to manage a project executions.

NutCracker

Country flag
After living few years in south when I moved back to north I indeed felt difficulty in breathing. Sadly the Himalaya which traps the monsoon, traps lots of other harmful particles too

Shuturmurg

Country flag
To clean up our cities, first the entire street needs to be washed with pressure washers to clean up the heaps of trash and dust.

Then for regular cleaning, we need to use sweepers like this:

For narrow streets, manually operated pressure washers can be used.

Also, we need to plant grass on exposed soil to prevent dust from blowing. Planting a few shrubs won't do anything (that's what the corporations currently do).

Finally, the citizens need to be civilised. Else, nobody can keep up with the generated trash.
First we need to remove all stray animals and trash from our streets. Also close all drains.

RoaringTigerHiddenDragon

Country flag

If we get complacent thinking companies will remain in India irrespective of whatever we do, solely due to our large workforce, You would be gravely mistaken.

I remember back in 2005-2006, many people dismissed the idea that the call center business would shift to the Philippines. The prevailing thought at the time was that India had a larger pool of English-speaking workers. But then the accent problem became too enormous, so much so that companies were forced to relocate to the Philippines.

India's large population of IT engineers is a valuable asset, but it alone does not guarantee the country's continued success in the IT sector.

If the government makes stupid moves like reservations in the IT sector or reintroduce retrospective tax laws,rest assured India's IT sector will take a severe hit.
AI based chats are going to hugely replace these jobs. So BPOs in India and PH and everywhere else are going to be in huge trouble. Manufacturing is also getting roboticized everywhere meaning fewer people are needed.
I feel that India has missed the mass business era and is in a jobless growth era. It is impossible to convince an investor that has seen the benefits of automated manufacturing to shift to a mass humans based manufacturing.
90% of India’s youth have no option but to rely on urban small store retail and business, home, health & education services for a living, unless they want to do physical labor in construction industry of course. And their wages will only rise to keep up with inflation, nothing else.
Sometimes i get the feeling it is too late for India’s youth to get paid higher wages. Let’s see where it goes. But the world growth is not increasing. This is going to be a huge challenge for us. By 2030 everything should be clear.

Cheepek

After living few years in south when I moved back to north I indeed felt difficulty in breathing. Sadly the Himalaya which traps the monsoon, traps lots of other harmful particles too

Delhi's air is so dirty that I developed sinus. Blocked nose was almost a permanent feature for me all throughout the year. Moved to Blr for a couple of years and it got fixed on it's own. Some other long term ailments including pain in ears, excessive mucous generation, catching cold frequently etc vanished too.

Delhi's air is really very hazardous, I don't know why Delhi government does not make masks a permanent feature. This apathy by bureaucrats in a region with >$7k per capita income reeks of nothing but incompetence. Fking idiots!

mokoman

Country flag
This is stupid claim.

Tibet only has 4 millions population, and 2000km aways from any sea port. But Shein supply chain brings new SKU every 7 days, Tibet is the last place for manufacture.

he probably meant xinjiang next to tibet , re education camps , massive survillance , probably forced labour too .

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
First we need to remove all stray animals and trash from our streets. Also close all drains.
let's look at drains...

found this open tender for building RCC drain in ayodhya for a length of 550 m, tender value is 50 lakhs (60k usd). these days, public works on drains are not done in isolation, it comes along with road upgrade in that area, which will probably cost another 50 lakhs for that same bit of road.

how much do you think cost of exchequer to close "all" drains across the country and how long will it take to close "all" drains?

Screenshot 2024-02-24 at 12.25.23 PM.png

correction: old tender from 2021 not new.

looks like work has already completed, there are no visible typical electric poles and wires which means underground electric cabling is also done.
Screenshot 2024-02-24 at 1.03.17 PM.png

Last edited:

Blademaster

Delhi's air is so dirty that I developed sinus. Blocked nose was almost a permanent feature for me all throughout the year. Moved to Blr for a couple of years and it got fixed on it's own. Some other long term ailments including pain in ears, excessive mucous generation, catching cold frequently etc vanished too.

Delhi's air is really very hazardous, I don't know why Delhi government does not make masks a permanent feature. This apathy by bureaucrats in a region with >$7k per capita income reeks of nothing but incompetence. Fking idiots!
During my visit to Delhi I developed several allergies and cold. It only got better when I got back to the States.

Now I understand why the Delhi government wanted to ban Diwali crackers. But they should also ban stubble burning and do better job of cleaning up the dust, trash, and pollution otherwise Delhi would be known as the gas chamber of the world.

RoaringTigerHiddenDragon

Country flag
This is stupid claim.

Please…this is already proven. The US I believe is in the process of sanctioning SHEIN for using slave labor in Tibet and Uighur land. I think the other slave labor driven company Temu has already been caught and banned?
Besides this Shein and Temu materials were sometimes made of flammable materials leading to clothes catching fire. Typical Chinese corner cutting for profits at tge expense of safety.
Also, looks like the US is replacing all the chinese cranes in its ports citing national security threat. The US is slowly bringing heavy manufacturing back to North America. This is a good opportunity for Indian manufacturers. Should start making large harbor cranes and supply it to the west.

RoaringTigerHiddenDragon

Country flag
let's look at drains...

found this open tender for building RCC drain in ayodhya for a length of 550 m, tender value is 50 lakhs (60k usd). these days, public works on drains are not done in isolation, it comes along with road upgrade in that area, which will probably cost another 50 lakhs for that same bit of road.

how much do you think cost of exchequer to close "all" drains across the country and how long will it take to close "all" drains?

View attachment 241720

correction: old tender from 2021 not new.

looks like work has already completed, there are no visible typical electric poles and wires which means underground electric cabling is also done.
View attachment 241725
Yes. In UP tender process is working remarkably well. Entire neighborhoods have been demolished in many UP cities to expand city infrastructure and bring roads to modernity with underground ducts, storm water drainage etc. The state infrastructure budget of UP is very high. At the same time 80% of UP is now covered under JJM-in just one year UP went from 30% to 80% coverage. That is extremely fast implementation for a huge population state. Look at Waste Bengal - they are stuck at the bottom. Leadership and politics matters in accomplishing ease of living tor citizens. UP is surely leading the way here.

sauntheninja

Country flag
Yes. In UP tender process is working remarkably well. Entire neighborhoods have been demolished in many UP cities to expand city infrastructure and bring roads to modernity with underground ducts, storm water drainage etc. The state infrastructure budget of UP is very high. At the same time 80% of UP is now covered under JJM-in just one year UP went from 30% to 80% coverage. That is extremely fast implementation for a huge population state. Look at Waste Bengal - they are stuck at the bottom. Leadership and politics matters in accomplishing ease of living tor citizens. UP is surely leading the way here.
Really need to visit UP to see these changes rather than getting reports

blackleaf

Country flag

Expect the imports to exponentially grow. The government has allowed shein to reenter the market with Reliance. Expect the entire market to be flooded with imported Garment

Why can't we put more tariffs on imports from Bangladesh, Vietnam and China?

Hopefully the textile parks will be completed too. If we can negotiate so trade deals to get duty free access to the US, EU and UK markets, that would help as well.

blackleaf

Country flag
FTAs signed during UPA era prevented this.
Do what the Chinese do and implement "non-tariff barriers" . Maybe we can introduce regulations to ban imports of poor quality.
Unfortunately we don't have the same levers as China. The CCP just needs to unofficially declare that a certain import is no longer wanted and all Chinese companies will stop importing it. They don't need tariffs as the trade disputes with Australia even when under an FTA shows.

SKC

Country flag

I don't need any lecture from you on this Topic. No one in India is complacent rather we are growing year by year in IT revenues.
We are a force to recon with, in this area.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles