Indian Army: News and Discussion

Deathstar

Country flag
Indian army shouldn't have given such statements about mythical yeti , look anti Indian army people barking everywhere on this topic

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Country flag
state of footprints can only be ascertained if earlier known footprint exist for comparison and confirmation
Good trackers can calculate height, weight, injury, health etc from foot prints...

My grand father was taught hunting by a master tracker in his childhood...

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Country flag
Indian army shouldn't have given such statements about mythical yeti , look anti Indian army people barking everywhere on this topic

PR is not Indian army’s forte, events over past three months has proved that..

A PR would have advised them to leave out yeti from the messaging.
Then again it is also possible that yeti angle was introduced by ANI... IA would have reported only on foot prints..

Advaidhya Tiwari

how do you think living creature would survive without food. there is no vegetation at that heights. no living creature will hide itself in cave for 24/7...if it existed shepherds or someone must have noticed...
It may be eating plants and leaves during night while sleeping in day. Why do you think such a creature will make public appearance?

The pint here is that there is such a creature that none has sighted lurking in Himalayas. The footprints were spotted by Britishers in 1921 and then by several others too. There has to be something

Anikastha

DEEP STATE
Country flag
It may be eating plants and leaves during night while sleeping in day. Why do you think such a creature will make public appearance?

The pint here is that there is such a creature that none has sighted lurking in Himalayas. The footprints were spotted by Britishers in 1921 and then by several others too. There has to be something
hmm..may be you are correct...himalayas and tibet is vast area...there are many places which hasn't been ventured by humans till now....may be living in some caves deep inside himalayas....

armyofhind

Country flag
how do you think living creature would survive without food. there is no vegetation at that heights. no living creature will hide itself in cave for 24/7...if it existed shepherds or someone must have noticed...
Maybe it hibernates during the winter. Maybe its a not a herbivore.
And If its a predator, who has levels of intelligence equivalent to the known apes, then its pretty obvious that it would take adequate measures to be invisible. Who knows.

What I am saying is that there have been sufficient sightings of a big ape like creature around the world, whether its referred to as Big Foot, Sasquatch, Yeti or whatever and even footprints have been found. This isn't the first time.

So it cannot be said conclusively whether such a creature exists or not. Till one is killed and found or captured alive.
The tracks have been made by something obviously.

Vilander

Country flag
Army sources: More pictures from army expedition to Mount Makalu wherein mysterious footprints were seen that Army claims could be of the #Yeti .

its probably some kind of a small jumping animal.

There is only one foot print.. there is no big single leged animal and if a big bipedal was jumping with one leg then there would be widening of the base of the foot print.

Its some small jumping animal like a weasel or Rabbit.

wish IA would be more professional when posting such stuff, was this meant to be a joke ?

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Country flag
its probably some kind of a small jumping animal.

There is only one foot print.. there is no big single leged animal and if a big bipedal was jumping with one leg then there would be widening of the base of the foot print.

Its some small jumping animal like a weasel or Rabbit.

wish IA would be more professional when posting such stuff, was this meant to be a joke ?
yup, it could be many things...
but people seems to have forgotten some fun and variety in life...
Not everything needs to be taken seriously...

porky_kicker

Country flag
I was going through the comments , and really I was amazed at the one track line of thought.

Everybody is infatuated with the yeti and the footprints.

Now given the location of the region in and around where the alleged footprints were found and the later clarification issued by army that it wanted to promote interest in the issue , the bigger question is why the sudden concern on the part of the army to highlight it ?

Does it have a ulterior motive - get public attention and influx of people on the search for yeti in and around the region bordering Nepal and Tibet.

Then what or how does army stand to gain from it ?

If we know that we would not be here pretending to know all , or would we be ?

Reminds me similar but not so similar games were played in the events leading to operation meghdoot to capture Siachen.

They even coined a term for it - Oropolitics.

Nepal politicians are in bed with Chinese more or less , however same cannot be said for the Nepali citizens , if they came to know of any encroachment by so called friends. Or possibly it's a a hedge by Indian army to forestall any possible salami slicing by getting the area under public scrutiny now and in the future. Who knows ?

Also I am not insinuating in any way that army has military interests in that region, but what I can safely say and which is undeniable clear that army wants to draw the interest and physical presence of the public etc into that region , for whatever reasons it may have indirectly. It's possible they created the footprints themselves to that end. I would love to know if yeti exists but more than that I would also love to know if there is an ulterior motives to this announcement , which i doubt I or we will ever get to know if any.

As far as I am concerned when military talks of Yeti's or UFO's, I think of psyops , nothing more nothing less. Cold war is full of examples .

@Chinmoy

Last edited:

Chinmoy

Country flag
I was going through the comments , and really I was amazed at the one track line of thought.

Everybody is infatuated with the yeti and the footprints.

Now given the location of the region in and around where the alleged footprints were found and the later clarification issued by army that it wanted to promote interest in the issue , the bigger question is why the sudden concern on the part of the army to highlight it ?

Does it have a ulterior motive - get public attention and influx of people on the search for yeti in and around the region bordering Nepal and Tibet.

Then what or how does army stand to gain from it ?

If we know that we would not be here pretending to know all , or would we be ?

Reminds me similar but not so similar games were played in the events leading to operation meghdoot to capture Siachen.

They even coined a term for it - Oropolitics.

Nepal politicians are in bed with Chinese more or less , however same cannot be said for the Nepali citizens , if they came to know of any encroachment by so called friends. Or possibly it's a a hedge by Indian army to forestall any possible salami slicing by getting the area under public scrutiny now and in the future. Who knows ?

Also I am not insinuating in any way that army has military interests in that region, but what I can safely say and which is undeniable clear that army wants to draw the interest and physical presence of the public etc into that region , for whatever reasons it may have indirectly. It's possible they created the footprints themselves to that end. I would love to know if yeti exists but more than that I would also love to know if there is an ulterior motives to this announcement , which i doubt I or we will ever get to know if any.

As far as I am concerned when military talks of Yeti's or UFO's, I think of psyops , nothing more nothing less. Cold war is full of examples .

@Chinmoy
The region and peak being Makalu doesn't ring any bell for me as far as tactic of Salami slicing is concerned. It would only enhance the Chinese presence in the region in the name of research. But overall a nice theory to put forward.

Chinese PLA has flown this theory of UFO overdoze in AkshaiChin which IA never endorsed. Now IA is doing this in Makalu for reason unknown, atleast to me.

Bhadra

Country flag
11 Cols opt out of coveted courses, highest in decade Published May 1, 2019
http://idrw.org/11-cols-opt-out-of-coveted-courses-highest-in-decade/

In a sign of changing times, about a dozen Colonel-level officers of the Army have opted out of the prestigious and much-coveted higher command course (HCC) and the higher defence management course (HDMC). The number of officers opting out is the highest in more than a decade. In 2008, 10 Colonels opted out in the backdrop of a rising economy offering jobs to these mid-career officers. Since then, four to six officers have opted out mostly due to personal and family reasons. This year has seen a surge due to several reasons. These officers were selected to do the courses based on their performance as commanders of their battalions and their service of almost 18 years. Each year, there are 86 vacancies in HCC, conducted at Mhow near Indore, and another 92 vacancies in HDMC, conducted at Secunderabad. Both courses are of 11-month duration during which the officers — usually between 38-39 years of age — are exposed to various facets of war fighting, new technologies, besides latest issues of global importance. Top sources in the Army cite two possible trigger points behind the officers opting out of the courses. One reason is the change in the policy in 2017. Before that, a system of ‘structured marks’ existed for officers doing HCC and HDMC. These marks were then added for selection as Brigadier. In 2017, the ‘structured marks’ system – or fixed measurable system of marks — was removed. Notably, the number of annual vacancies of Brigadiers — some 150 are selected each year — is way lesser than the 178 vacancies at HCC and HDMC. In other words, even if an officer does these courses, there is no guarantee of promotion. In the pre-2017 system, additional marks meant the officer had an edge over those who had not done these courses. Since there are around 4,500 Colonels and 1,100 Brigadiers, it means only 33 per cent of Colonels get promoted. The selection to the top posts in the Army is often missed on decimal points, accumulated over years of service, gallantry awards, etc. The second reason cited by sources are that these officers who have opted out maybe looking to leave the force, which they can by seeking premature release (PMR) after completion of 20 years of service. Officers doing HCC and HDMC have to fill a bond that they would be serving for at least five years more. Those wanting to leave may not want to enter into the bond.

Chinmoy

Country flag
Oh, I mean for crossing the river.. mules do not swim well.

There are always areas where mountainous rivers could be crossed on foot. At time of surge even Elephants would not dare step foot on these rivers.

There is a reason why Mules are always being preferred then Elephant or Horse in matters of transportation by Army.

Bhadra

Country flag
There are always areas where mountainous rivers could be crossed on foot. At time of surge even Elephants would not dare step foot on these rivers.

There is a reason why Mules are always being preferred then Elephant or Horse in matters of transportation by Army.
Elephants were / are being being used to cross the rivers when water level in rivers is quite high and at widest river bed widths which means reduced currents.It would take very strong water current to lift elephant legs and wash them down. Mules can cross water on their legs- by walking but under less water height and mild currents.

Mules have a bigger load carrying capacity and have smaller sizes compared to horses. That allows load carriage over mule tracks. Secondly, they can carry loads over longer distances.

Bhadra

Country flag
Army owned WhAP 8×8 Platform spotted testing at High Altitude

http://idrw.org/army-owned-whap-8x8-platform-spotted-testing-at-high-altitude/ .

Indian Army owned WhAP 8×8 Platform which was jointly developed by the DRDO and the Indian Company TATA Motor has been spotted carrying out High Altitude trials in the Himalayan range. In 2018, the Indian Army had procured a WhAP 8×8 prototype fitted with a two-man BMP-2 turret, from the Soviet-made Infantry Fighting Vehicle. WhAP 8×8 was first spotted in DefExpo 2018 where it was part of the live demonstration exercise. WhAP 8×8 Platform had Army registration which confirmed that it was procured by Indian Army for Internal testing which is a really rare sight to do especially a product which is yet to enter limited production. The WhAP with its BMP-2 turret comes with a Soviet/Russian 2A72 30mm autocannon which has an effective range of 2kms. WhAP can also be armed with a “Konkurs” (AT-5 Spandrel) and 9M113M “Konkurs-M” (AT-5B Spandrel B) anti-tank missiles. Developmental trials of the WhAP were carried out in two phases. Onroad and Off-road mobility trials were conducted at National Centre for Automotive Testing (NCAT) at VRDE and a vehicle track at Mechanized Infantry Regimental Centre (MIRC), Ahmednagar. The second phase of the trials with emphasis on sand mobility and on the effect of high ambient temperature on vehicle performance were carried out at Mahajan Field Firing Range, Suratgarh. On realization of the prototype, general checks and initial running in of the vehicle was carried out. In all, the vehicle went through the following trials: (i) on-road performance trial on high speed track at NCAT, (ii) vehicle condition trials (vehicle mode: 8×8 and 8×4; CTIS and Highway mode at 80 bar; and Gross Vehicle Weight of 24770 kg), (iii) measured ambient condition (100 k Pa atmospheric pressure, 41 o C atmospheric temperature and 0.872 kg/m3 air density at test site), (iv) maximum speed performance with headlight, parking lights and the emergency flashlights ON position. The vehicle was driven in clockwise direction for two rounds of the entire high speed track and two rounds in anti-clockwise direction with full throttle at maximum speed of 104 km/h, (v) the fuel consumption test using the top-up method on tarmac road (average fuel consumption was 1.3 km/l); (vi) vehicle range measurement (distance traveled with full tank diesel was 478 km).

Articles