Indian Army Artillery

Hari Sud

Country flag
Can somebody update us on what changes are being to the ATAGS Artillery piece to reduce its weight and make it more mobile like Bofor gun.

Is it being done at the behest of Army's reluctance to place an order or match it up with Israeli gun also under consideration.

Automatic Kalashnikov

Country flag
Can someone explain the formation of an Artillery Regiment? Like roughly how many guns are there and how many personnel in one regiment and does every soldier work with one of the big guns or do they have other tasks as well?

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
Can someone explain the formation of an Artillery Regiment? Like roughly how many guns are there and how many personnel in one regiment and does every soldier work with one of the big guns or do they have other tasks as well?
Artillery Regiment: 3X Gun Batteries each
Battery: 3X Gun sections each
Gun section: 2X guns each
Other than this, not sure of the exact organization but I guess there would be one HQ Battery for administrative purposes, among others. Not sure if other supply vehicles are part of a separate transport battery or under the HQ Battery. Most soldiers, I imagine, would be part of a Gun crew, other than that, there would be those for administrative tasks in HQ Battery, Quartermaster and not sure but I think there is some security element with rifles, LMG, etc as well, which implies a separate Battery maybe. Some soldiers would double up as cooks and barbers I imagine. Overall, the size should be around 150-200 Officers and Other Ranks per Regiment (guesstimate).
There is a separate SATA battery at brigade level. SATA stands for Surveillance And Target Acquisition. This regiment employs Swathi WLR, Heron drones, etc. Then there are Artillery Command Posts, probably when they set up a base of fire, likely at Brigade level and above.
Maybe we need to ask the professionals: @Hellfire @Bhadra @AVINASH4061 @Yodha

Last edited:

scatterStorm

Country flag
Guys its a long time coming, we are seeing major reforms, we are now moving towards an offensive strategy. This is again like a fresh breath of air. A rocket force is a strategic maneuver. To counter Chinese and paki threat for a full scale two front war scenario. A rocket force comprising SRBM, MRBM and LRBM along with Swarm drone ops is a must.

Now the Chinese will have to rethink there strategy, which is good, it will buy us some time.

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
Guys its a long time coming, we are seeing major reforms, we are now moving towards an offensive strategy. This is again like a fresh breath of air. A rocket force is a strategic maneuver. To counter Chinese and paki threat for a full scale two front war scenario. A rocket force comprising SRBM, MRBM and LRBM along with Swarm drone ops is a must.

Now the Chinese will have to rethink there strategy, which is good, it will buy us some time.
Can easily achieve that with a bloody Artillery Division. Why a separate force? I just don't get this nonsense.

Chinmoy

Country flag
Why though? Do you have link to where exactly General Rawat said that?
Logistics and cost implications. Separating the current MBRLs and BRAHMOS regiment from the arty would simplify the cost flow and would ensure better fund allocation in respect of acquisition and spare maintenance.

Now I am not sure whether Gen Rawat said that or not, but I do remember TOI quoting something like same. Now not sure if they quoted Gen Rawat or came to conclusion on their own.

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
Logistics and cost implications. Separating the current MBRLs and BRAHMOS regiment from the arty would simplify the cost flow and would ensure better fund allocation in respect of acquisition and spare maintenance.

Now I am not sure whether Gen Rawat said that or not, but I do remember TOI quoting something like same. Now not sure if they quoted Gen Rawat or came to conclusion on their own.
I don't see how it would do that. MBRLS and SSMs (including Cruise missiles) are organized as their own independent Regiments. As a formation, they are a part of the Artillery Divisions only. I don't see how organizing them separate from Artillery improves logistics or cost implications.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Use this new thread for dedicated Rocket force related discussions

I don't see how it would do that. MBRLS and SSMs (including Cruise missiles) are organized as their own independent Regiments. As a formation, they are a part of the Artillery Divisions only. I don't see how organizing them separate from Artillery improves logistics or cost implications.

Chinmoy

Country flag
Yes, Independent regiment, but comes under a single Division. Now if we would just ignore the guns for the time being, and look into the transportation part only, they do use TATA, AL, TATRA, Kraz in their lot. Spare maintenance of these tractors alone is an uphill task. As per norms, divisional fund allocation is not done separately for each, but done in a lot. Now if we separate the Grads, SMERCH, Pinaka and BRAHMOS from it, we would be left alone with TATA and L&T tractors. From the POV of logistics and cost, its a much better option. Same would be with the arm operating only the rockets and CMs. They would be only operating TATRA and Kraz.

Sir pe tapla

Country flag
Yes, Independent regiment, but comes under a single Division. Now if we would just ignore the guns for the time being, and look into the transportation part only, they do use TATA, AL, TATRA, Kraz in their lot. Spare maintenance of these tractors alone is an uphill task. As per norms, divisional fund allocation is not done separately for each, but done in a lot. Now if we separate the Grads, SMERCH, Pinaka and BRAHMOS from it, we would be left alone with TATA and L&T tractors. From the POV of logistics and cost, its a much better option. Same would be with the arm operating only the rockets and CMs. They would be only operating TATRA and Kraz.
Very good point.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles