Indian Army Armored Vehicles

Blackwater

when T-72's could be deployed in Leh, why cant they in Himachal...

"From Leh, these metal giants would have to cross Chang La and reach Darbuk to be deployed in the NE part of Ladakh"
One of the T-72 tanks airlifted into Ladakh taking part in an army exercise .
Srinagar-Leh NH widened for T 72 tanks -Militants to increase intrusion bids in Kashmir: GOC - Daily Excelsior, 3 May 2011
Srinagar-Leh national highway widened for T-72 tanks
but not sure... just a guess.....
WELL TERRAIN OF HIMACHAL AND LEH ARE DIFFERENT,

MORE OVER we dont need to put tanks in Himachal and we never did in 65 yrs of history,

ace009

Freakin' Fighter fan
What is the maximum weight that highways in India can carry? Mountain highways probably cannot carry anything more than 40 tonnes.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
What is the maximum weight that highways in India can carry? Mountain highways probably cannot carry anything more than 40 tonnes.
I assume more than 70tons saw huge cranes are transferred via trucks..

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
My bad, I thought that Indian highways could carry that weight.
Tank transporter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A tank transporter is a specialized road vehicle for the transport of tanks, to and from the battlefield or during peacetime. They are necessary to limit the mileage of the tracked vehicles (as the tracks have a limited lifetime) and also to reduce wear on road surfaces which can easily be damaged by such heavy vehicles. Tank transporters also use less fuel than tracked vehicles and may have a higher road speed if provided with a good road network.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Sir, I disagree with this point. IA put GSQR in line of western designs, they have used British tanks before. It is more to do with import lobby
Western tank such as Centurion have no relation with today`s tanks western deign which have relation to early 70s and late 70s development..

Centurion class tanks were deign in mid 40s, That is what India was using in 1971 & 65 wars..

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
For the mountain highways too? In that case the 55 Ton T-72 should be fine - right?
I cant say never saw tanks in that altitude of 40 ton and 50ton range..

Though T-55 and T-72 are operational in Jammu area..

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
Western tank such as Centurion have no relation with today`s tanks western deign which have relation to early 70s and late 70s development..

Centurion class tanks were deign in mid 40s, That is what India was using in 1971 & 65 wars..
Sir, I got your point, but IA did study the tanks , and copy pasted the brochures for Arjun, they were mortally scared of Abrams landing to our doorstep with pakis. By the time Arjun came in to picture the Abram threat was long gone, hence the resistance

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Sir, I got your point, but IA did study the tanks , and copy pasted the brochures for Arjun, they were mortally scared of Abrams landing to our doorstep with pakis. By the time Arjun came in to picture the Abram threat was long gone, hence the resistance
I heard abt the Abram tank in Pakistani for testing though never have any link or Info..

Arjun was originally planned to be 40ton MBT with 105mm gun, Later the reqirment changed, I doubt that coz of Abrams IA selected Arjun development..

Arjun is purely Indian ambition to make a world class home made tank..

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
I heard abt the Abram tank in Pakistani for testing though never have any link or Info..

Arjun was originally planned to be 40ton MBT with 105mm gun, Later the reqirment changed, I doubt that coz of Abrams IA selected Arjun development..

Arjun is purely Indian ambition to make a world class home made tank..
Sent you via PM, take it FWIW

yes previously it was named Chetak, then once the Abrams testing news came in the specs changed, but the deal never materialized.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Sent you via PM, take it FWIW

yes previously it was named Chetak, then once the Abrams testing news came in the specs changed, but the deal never materialized.
Interesting..

H.A.

Speaking about tank transportation....I had this question in my mind....

Why isn't the army vehicle and ammunition transporter's containerised.....Everybody can see when its open and the enemy can plan accordingly to attack....however if you transport something in a container nobody would know whats in it......hence the element of surprise can be maintained.....

What say you guys?

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh

Why isn't the army vehicle and ammunition transporter's containerised.....Everybody can see when its open and the enemy can plan accordingly to attack....however if you transport something in a container nobody would know whats in it......hence the element of surprise can be maintained.....

What say you guys?
I think tanks are big and heavy weight cargos, I have seen Arjun MBT on Transport truck on Chennai -Bangalore Highway , Quiet a huge Cargo and oversized too, well many equipment actually needs cover but in our nation even the multi million dollar Su-30 mki didn't have a shelter to rest :yuck:

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional

What say you guys?
Good place for a cost-benefit analysis at least, I would say.

sesha_maruthi27

Country flag
Are these the T-72's which have been upgraded or are they the old ones and I also have a doubt whether T-72's can match the tanks in the chinese army?

SPIEZ

Country flag
I still don't understand the idea behind the tank transporter's ? Aren't tanks meant to go anywhere and everywhere, and with tracks their effective ground pressure comes down, so they will be more lighter than the trucks that will carry them.

Also in the case of war, how will ammo, fuel be supplied to tanks once the original store runs out ?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles