Indian Army Armored Vehicles

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
small doubt,
How could this be based T-55?
T-55 series have 5 ground wheels, but this has 6 ground wheels!

Modified version built by Romania using the T-55 as a base it has numerous differences including an extra wheel.

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
Another modern T-55 version from Ukraine called the T-55AGM, apprently upgraded to the level of the T-80. This is interesting as the Ukrainians have basically made a Tank EX by mating the T-80'S Turret with the T-55 Body after uprating the Engine & Suspension.

T-55M8-A2 Tifon II, a variant of the T-55AGM

rishivashista13

Country flag
So , what qualities does tank Ex has over Arjun , T 90 ,72 ?
Why some people like tank ex more then our present tanks ?

Sent from my Micromax Q380 using Tapatalk

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Rifled gun is liked by IA and they wanted to see it on MK2 as well ..

The ammunition is better than that of BM42 mango imported from Russian for Russian tanks used by Indian Army ..

The only real problem with Arjun, as far as I'm concerned, is the lack of a modern APFSDS round and to an extent, the rifled gun, which can be rectified within short order if the Army generals really intended to do so.

Blood+

Country flag
Rifled gun is liked by IA and they wanted to see it on MK2 as well ..
And I find that rather weird because it just doesn't make any sense??I mean why would they do that, why would they wanna cling on to the outdated stuffs when more modern, cheaper and simpler to produce and above all, outright better alternatives are almost readily available??Does it originate from their love for legacy stuffs, I hope it isn't because if that's indeed the case, then I'm afraid it's pretty, in fact a stupendously stupid practice to follow, in such a line of business they are into.

I mean, show me one modern tank, just one barring Arjun, where the developers or the users decided to go for a rifled gun over a smooth barrel one.
Just name one modern tank, that's all I wanna hear from you, Sir.

I just don't understand, why are you people so hell bent on proving everything that comes out of our stable has to be a world-beater, when the facts speak otherwise??Why are you trying so hard to defend the indefensible??Why is it so hard to admit that our army made a wrong decision by going with an outdated gun??What purpose it serves you guys, because if it does, I'm really having a hard time seeing it!!

Ok, just forget all these, forget all these 'stupid, emotional rants' of questions.Just show me one merit, one good reason for retaining an outdated gun??Just......just show me one freaking advantage a rifled gun holds over a smooth barrel one, just freaking one and I promise I'll stop my 'rants' once and for all.
PS - Please do not bring in the small arms or heavy machine guns or AAA or tube artillery to justify your views, because we are talking about tank guns here.
The ammunition is better than that of BM42 mango imported from Russian for Russian tanks used by Indian Army ..
You speak as if that is some achievement, beating a round by an inch, which was designed way back in the early 80s!!Actually, we aren't even sure if that is true since the MkI penetrator is actually much shorter than the BM 42 penetrators!!
By the way, BM 42 is the designation for the penetrator where as the actual round, which you are reffering, is designated as 3BM 44, just as the BM 42M being the designation of the penetrator used in the 3BM 44M Lekalo rounds.
Now coming back to Arjun's ammo, there is no way the old MkI could achieve 500+ mm penetration at a distance of 2000 meter at 0 degree vertical angle, it's pretty much impossible.And before anyone decides to post the ARDE posters, I've already seen them, so please don't bother, I know what they have gotta to say and I just don't buy it!!Why - because as a general rule of thumb, a round's penetration value will always be 10-15% lower than the actual length of the rod itself and the rod in the MkI is at best 380 mm long, so it's practically impossible for it to achieve something like what's been claimed....................unless, our guys in the ARDE has managed to develop some miracle heavy alloy, straight out of some science fiction book.Heck, by that standard, MkI isn't even at the early 80's level!!
Both the Mango and Pronit (aka IMI CL MkII) packs longer rods with higher L: D ratio than our MkI does, yet they barely achieve 500 mm at 2000 meter at a muzzle velocity of around 1700 meter/second, so I don't see how on earth the existing round, with a shorter, fatter, lighter and slower moving rod can achieve the same level of performance!!After all, it's not some magic we are talking about, are we??

And as for the supposed MkII, even that would fare little better, as I've already pointed out, simply because again, its vastly shorter and fatter (thicker would be the right term, I know) penetrator rod, compared to even the Chinese APFSDS rounds, which by the way aren't that much impressive themselves!!So yeah, Arjun having better firepower than, I don't know, anything out there, anything of relevance that is, would be simply akin to stretching the facts too far, I mean really really ridiculously far.................and that's saying something!!

rohit b3

Country flag
And I find that rather weird because it just doesn't make any sense??I mean why would they do that, why would they wanna cling on to the outdated stuffs when more modern, cheaper and simpler to produce and above all, outright better alternatives are almost readily available??Does it originate from their love for legacy stuffs, I hope it isn't because if that's indeed the case, then I'm afraid it's pretty, in fact a stupendously stupid practice to follow, in such a line of business they are into.

I mean, show me one modern tank, just one barring Arjun, where the developers or the users decided to go for a rifled gun over a smooth barrel one.
Just name one modern tank, that's all I wanna hear from you, Sir.

I just don't understand, why are you people so hell bent on proving everything that comes out of our stable has to be a world-beater, when the facts speak otherwise??Why are you trying so hard to defend the indefensible??Why is it so hard to admit that our army made a wrong decision by going with an outdated gun??What purpose it serves you guys, because if it does, I'm really having a hard time seeing it!!

Ok, just forget all these, forget all these 'stupid, emotional rants' of questions.Just show me one merit, one good reason for retaining an outdated gun??Just......just show me one freaking advantage a rifled gun holds over a smooth barrel one, just freaking one and I promise I'll stop my 'rants' once and for all.
PS - Please do not bring in the small arms or heavy machine guns or AAA or tube artillery to justify your views, because we are talking about tank guns here.
Calm down. Who said Rifled Guns were outdated? Blindly following the Westerners/Russians are we?

"just show me one freaking advantage a rifled gun holds over a smooth barrel one"

Rifled Guns are more accurate than a Smoothbore one
They also have the additional ability to fire HESH rounds

Ever heard about how the Arjun mk1 outran and OUTGUNNED the T90s?

Blood+

Country flag
Calm down. Who said Rifled Guns were outdated?
The engineers.
Blindly following the Westerners/Russians are we?
Following, definitely; blindly, not at all!!In fact, it appears you are the one who's been blinded by his sense of nationalism!!
"just show me one freaking advantage a rifled gun holds over a smooth barrel one"
Yeah, please, show me one, I mean really a real one and the usual and boring ghissi-pity stuffs and I will stop my rants right there, once and for all, plain and simple, the offer is still valid.
Ahh....................same old ghissi-pity stuff just what I had come to fear.It's a Pure bollocks actually, sorry, no offense to you, but it's still pure bollocks.
A shit round which became outdated a long time ago!!And who the hell still uses HESH in this day and age, really?? :D
Ever heard about how the Arjun mk1 outran
Do you even realise I was actually talking about its gun and not about its mobility performance??So why are you even bringing this up here??!!How is this statement (or part of a statement to be more precise) relevant to the discussion??
and OUTGUNNED the T90s?
Yeah, the keyword here is 'OUTGUNNED', and not 'OVERPOWERED'.What it really means is that, during the trials, Arjuns could hit targets more accurately at a more consistent basis compared to the T 90S, on account of the better FCS of the former.........................nothing more and nothing less!!It has got much less to do with the lethality of the respective guns and ammo but has got everything to do with the FCS and skill level of the individual gunners!!
And just because Arjun could tag targets more consistently, doesn't mean it can actually kill its targets as well!!It's not really that complicated if you think about it but for that, you would need to throw down your glasses of blind nationalism..................apparently a very difficult thing to do for some people it seems!!

Last edited:

Blood+

Country flag
Calm down. Who said Rifled Guns were outdated?
The engineers.
Blindly following the Westerners/Russians are we?
Following, definitely; blindly, not at all!!In fact, it appears you are the one who's been blinded by his sense of nationalism!!
Yeah, please, show me one, I mean really a real one and the usual and boring ghissi-pity stuffs and I will stop my rants right there, once and for all, plain and simple, the offer is still valid.
Ahh....................same old ghissi-pity stuff just what I had come to fear.I'm kinda disappointed to be honest, how much I had hoped for something else, something ingenious but...............actually, I kinda knew where this was gonna get.Anyway, it's a pure bollocks of a theory actually which has got nothing to do with the reality.I mean, I know you put on much efforts to come up with this theory of yours and I wish it were true but..............I'm really sorry, no offence to you, but it's still pure bollocks.
Another one!!Dude, give it a rest, it's shit round which went out of date a long time ago, in fact almost immediately after its inception!!And which self respecting army still uses shit like HESH in this day and age, really?? :D
Ever heard about how the Arjun mk1 outran
Do you even realise I was actually talking about the performance of the guns and ammo and not about the mobility performance??So why are you even bringing this up here??!!How is this statement (or rather part of a statement to be more precise) relevant to the discussion??
and OUTGUNNED the T90s?
Yeah, the keyword here is 'OUTGUNNED', and not 'OVERPOWERED'.What it really means is that, during the trials, Arjuns could hit targets more accurately at a more consistent basis compared to the T 90S, on account of the better FCS of the former.........................nothing more and nothing less!!It has got much less to do with the lethality of the respective guns and ammo but has got everything to do with the FCS and skill level of the individual gunners!!
And just because Arjun could tag targets more consistently, doesn't mean it can actually kill its targets as well!!It's not really that complicated if you think about it but for that, you would need to throw down your glasses of blind nationalism..................apparently a very difficult thing to do for some people it seems!!

armyofhind

Country flag
Another one!!Dude, give it a rest, it's shit round which went out of date a long time ago, in fact almost immediately after its inception!!And which self respecting army still uses shit like HESH in this day and age, really?? :D
HESH rounds haven't gone out of date FYI. The modern versions are still highly effective against structures and fortifications.

And also FYI, HESH rounds are used by the British Army.
Now you might say that the British Army isn't self respecting. But that won't mean anything.

Blood+

Country flag
Sir, the British Challenger 2 uses a rifled gun.
Please don't call me sir, I'm just 22 for crying out loud!!And by modern, I meant newly built ones like Leopard 2 A5 onwards, Char Leclerc, K2 Black Panther etc etc.Challengers aren't really that new.But thanks anyway.
HESH rounds haven't gone out of date FYI.
They have, for most parts at least.
The modern versions are still highly effective against structures and fortifications.
Absolutely not!!HESH rounds are rather extremely easy to counter with very simple solutions.
And also FYI, HESH rounds are used by the British Army.
I know that, mostly because of convenience issues rather than their actual effectiveness in their intended roles.And in any case, just because of the fact that the British still use them doesn't make them any deadlier, does it??
Now you might say that the British Army isn't self respecting.
As far as tanks are concerned, no, it ain't!!

rohit b3

Country flag
The engineers.

Ahh....................same old ghissi-pity stuff just what I had come to fear.I'm kinda disappointed to be honest, how much I had hoped for something else, something ingenious but...............actually, I kinda knew where this was gonna get.Anyway, it's a pure bollocks of a theory actually which has got nothing to do with the reality.I mean, I know you put on much efforts to come up with this theory of yours and I wish it were true but..............I'm really sorry, no offence to you, but it's still pure bollocks.

Do you even realise I was actually talking about the performance of the guns and ammo and not about the mobility performance??So why are you even bringing this up here??!!How is this statement (or rather part of a statement to be more precise) relevant to the discussion??

And I rest my case .... LOL ...........

armyofhind

Country flag
Please don't call me sir, I'm just 22 for crying out loud!!And by modern, I meant newly built ones like Leopard 2 A5 onwards, Char Leclerc, K2 Black Panther etc etc.Challengers aren't really that new.But thanks anyway.

They have, for most parts at least.

Absolutely not!!HESH rounds are rather extremely easy to counter with very simple solutions.

I know that, mostly because of convenience issues rather than their actual effectiveness in their intended roles.And in any case, just because of the fact that the British still use them doesn't make them any deadlier, does it??

As far as tanks are concerned, no, it ain't!!
So principally, anything that doesn't confirm to your logic isn't true.

Modern HESH round are deadly effective against fortifications. Especially the ones with a thermobaric warhead. (recently an indigenous version tested by DRDO) There is no way for a fortification like a concrete bunker to actually stop the resonance wave generated by the round and prevent spalling inside the structure.

Till the days RHA was standard on tanks, HESH was very effective against them too. But with the advent of composite armor with spacing inside them, armor designers found a way to dissipate the resonating Shockwave.

But, implementing the spaced armor concept on the scale of a fortification or bunker is purely un-economical.
Which keeps HESH rounds effective and viable against structures.

Also, while fighting along with dismounted infantry in urban areas, HESH round are used to blow holes into walls and such to open up new approaches for the infantry.

Secondly as far as your arguments against the rifle gun is concerned. True, modern KEP and FSAPDS type round do not really need spin stability imparted to them because they are stabilized in flight by fins. True.

But, the mere fact that they do not need spin stabilization doesn't mean that they cannot be given the same.
Imparting spin stabilization to a finned projectile leads to a flatter trajectory. Thereby leading to ease of aiming. Thereby leading to lesser time taken in laying the gun.

There are reasons that the Arjun's gun is far more accurate while stationary and on the move as well than the Russian guns. But those reasons aren't limited to just better FCS on the Arjun.

The only argument which can be raised against rifled guns is that they need to be replaced sooner because they experience higher wear due to the rifling.

Offtopic, Challenger 2 is a shit tank. Lets not make it a role model. Arjun's Gun is far superior to that.
I'm not doubting the Arjun's Gun. Just quoted the example to show our friend here that rifled guns are used on modern tanks.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles