Indian Air Force: News & Discussions

binayak95

Country flag
Their current mount is the Su-30MKI..as much as I liked to see the MiG-23BN and MiG-27ML looks wise, they were the least reliable and most unsafe in terms of attrition. Especially the MiG-23BN. Worse than the much maligned MiG-21.

The Su-30MKI in comparison is a generation apart in every way.
The 21's reputation is a direct consequence of IAF using them as advanced jet trainers when we didnt have Hawks. IAF pilot trainees directly went from prop birds to kiran to a goddamn Mach 2 capable delta that experienced pilots had trouble landing.

In terms of statistics, given the number of MiG21s we flew, fatality rate was quite low.

DumbPilot

Country flag
The 21's reputation is a direct consequence of IAF using them as advanced jet trainers when we didnt have Hawks. IAF pilot trainees directly went from prop birds to kiran to a goddamn Mach 2 capable delta that experienced pilots had trouble landing.

In terms of statistics, given the number of MiG21s we flew, fatality rate was quite low.
trial by literal fire

vishnugupt

Country flag
French Air Force..why is that relevant to the IAF?
Good question. I explain you the relevance.

It means UN Generals are only VISIONARY Generals on the earth.

Imported Airforce ordered around 3 billion dollar Mirage -2000 upgrade in 2011. Now this upgraded Mirage-2000 has been become obsolete even before whole fleet could have been upgraded.

3 billion dollar spent to achieve a big ZERO. Cost of deal was equal to 83 new Tejas MK1a in today's price.

Upgraded Mirage-2000 will remain "extremely" inferior to Tejas MK1a ( Brown Sipoy will never let you know this )

UN Generals always manage to live up their sole motto " Always set your goals towards failure"

Jai Hind ( China ki maa chod denge ) :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Mr.Evil007

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Good question. I explain you the relevance.

It means UN Generals are only VISIONARY Generals on the earth.

Imported Airforce ordered around 3 billion dollar Mirage -2000 upgrade in 2011. Now this upgraded Mirage-2000 has been become obsolete even before whole fleet could have been upgraded.

3 billion dollar spent to achieve a big ZERO. Cost of deal was equal to 83 new Tejas MK1a in today's price.

Upgraded Mirage-2000 will remain "extremely" inferior to Tejas MK1a ( Brown Sipoy will never let you know this )

UN Generals always manage to live up their sole motto " Always set your goals towards failure"

Jai Hind ( China ki maa chod denge ) :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
If we keep going with this mentality and pace we might be moving towards a crushing defeat in future

Super Flanker

Aviation and Defence Enthusiast
Country flag
IAF's transport, tanker and AWAC fleet in its current state is not upto the mark. In it's current state, we can easily tackle the PAF but against PLAAF, we won't have it easy, let alone PLAAF + PAF together combined.

In transport fleet, the main work horses are C-17, C-130, il-76s. Currently we operate 11 C-17s, 17 il-76s, 12 C-130s. I still wish that we would have ordered additional C-17s because the C-17s have proven time and again to be the better option against the Russian il-76 because of better carrying capacity, better range, better availability and cheaper per hour flying costs and cheaper maintenance.

Instead of 11 C-17s, we should have maintained a fleet of at least 15-20, or even 25 C-17s. The same is with the C-130 too. In Joint Operations between the Airforce and Army, the C-130s prove to be very important assets. If any additional procurement of C-17s were possible then it would ease the stress on the Ilyushin fleet and we possibly might retire some of the Il-76s too because it's simply not worth having so many when you a C-17 can offer almost 50% more performance than the il-76.

Our AWAC fleet is also lacking. We have just 6 AWACS in operational service ready to be deployed. 3 Netra Mk-1 and 3 Israeli Phalcon AWACS. I think DRDO and IAF is currently working on development of a next generation Netra Mk-2 which will be mounted on an Airbus aircraft body and 6 such aircraft will be procured so 6 AWACS currently in service + six more AWACS in the coming years will increase our fleet to 12 AWACs which is a good number.

Still I feel like the C-17s were a lost opportunity, and we could have procured more albeit had we placed an order for more, and before the production line closed but yeah, that is the competency of the Indian defence establishment.

DumbPilot

Country flag
This is where you see IAF not a truly modern air force : no one operationnaly use classical non guided bombs in operation, specially risking a high asset jet as Su-30.
Sorry.
Incredibly uninformed post, not expected from you.

A lot of pilots in modern air forces have their pilots maintain currency with all sorts of operational features of the jet, this includes utilizing and dropping unguided bombs.

1717685738870.png

French Air Force Rafale in operation, utilizing a GBU24 laser guided bomb. Might I remind you that the delivery mechanism and the kinetic range, for both laser guided bombs and dumb bombs the same?

1717685906751.png

USAF F-16 dropping BDU-33 units. The BDU-33 holds several dumb training bombs that are utilized to keep the pilots trained on the delivery mechanisms and the procedure.

mist_consecutive

Golgappe Expert
Contributor
Country flag
This is where you see IAF not a truly modern air force : no one operationnaly use classical non guided bombs in operation, specially risking a high asset jet as Su-30.
Sorry.
  • Its not operational, it is an air show. Last 2 times we dropped bombs on our enemies we used PGMs.
  • PGMs are costly, especially that we don't mass-manufacture any PGM kits.
  • What the Su-30MKI is doing is essentially carpet-bombing / wide-area bombing. I am yet to see even USAF using PGMs for carpet bombing.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles