Indian Air Force: News & Discussions

MirageBlue

Country flag
What a disgrace. A war hero is flying a low cost (air)bus? I hope it is out of his personal choice and not due to lack of career growth within the IAF.
What does that even mean? It is highly lucrative for IAF pilots to get highly paid jobs as civilian pilots. What's there to call it a disgrace?? Most of the IAF pilots that take premature retirement do so due to the huge pay difference between what the IAF can offer versus airlines, plus the advantage of not having a job that requires transfers every few years, especially if they have kids who need a stable base for their studies.

singhboy98

Country flag
What does that even mean? It is highly lucrative for IAF pilots to get highly paid jobs as civilian pilots. What's there to call it a disgrace?? Most of the IAF pilots that take premature retirement do so due to the huge pay difference between what the IAF can offer versus airlines, plus the advantage of not having a job that requires transfers every few years, especially if they have kids who need a stable base for their studies.
I get the monetary aspect but a retired Group Captain (a war hero at that) flying an Airbus A320 of a LCC is like a retired Police SSP pulling security duty at a residential tower. It is a tremendous downgrade in every aspect except the monetary one. People not familiar with Government services will not get this. That being said, whatever rocks one's boat 🤷‍♂️.

DumbPilot

Country flag
I get the monetary aspect but a retired Group Captain (a war hero at that) flying an Airbus A320 of a LCC is like a retired Police SSP pulling security duty at a residential tower. It is a tremendous downgrade in every aspect except the monetary one. People not familiar with Government services will not get this. That being said, whatever rocks one's boat 🤷‍♂️.
There isn't much to do after retiring from the air force in that regard. In the US, retired air force pilots provide REDFOR services through contractors to the air force, but there isn't such a system like that here. Other option is joining some think tank, but I don't know how much they get paid.

Flying an A320 is a good deal after retirement. He is still flying, making income as well - totally not comparable to a security duty at a residential tower.

I don't know why you are looking down at this job. He is still responsible for the lives of dozens of passengers along with the flight crew, so it's not like any wannabe can come pilot a plane just like that - it's a very specialized field which requires great skill.

Last edited:

singhboy98

Country flag
There isn't much to do after retiring from the air force in that regard. In the US, retired air force pilots provide REDFOR services through contractors to the air force, but there isn't such a system like that here. Other option is joining some think tank, but I don't know how much they get paid.

Flying an A320 is a good deal after retirement. He is still flying, making income as well - totally not comparable to a security duty at a residential tower.

I don't know why you are looking down at this job. He is still responsible for the lives of dozens of passengers along with the flight crew, so it's not like any wannabe can come pilot a plane just like that - it's a very specialized field which requires great skill.
Like I said, it is difficult for someone with no exposure to government hierarchy to understand. A Group Captain is a very senior position (Level 14 IIRC). These people should be in the upper management in any organization they are in. Leaving that to sharing designations with normal civilians with not even 10 years of flying experience (what is the cutoff to appear for the Captain exam anyway) is something which I will never understand. That is why I stated that it is a shame that he has to do this. I don't know why he was not promoted to flag rank in the IAF?.
That said, If money is everything, then well, everything is fair I guess.

karn

Country flag
Like I said, it is difficult for someone with no exposure to government hierarchy to understand. A Group Captain is a very senior position (Level 14 IIRC). These people should be in the upper management in any organization they are in. Leaving that to sharing designations with normal civilians with not even 10 years of flying experience (what is the cutoff to appear for the Captain exam anyway) is something which I will never understand. That is why I stated that it is a shame that he has to do this. I don't know why he was not promoted to flag rank in the IAF?.
Kya bolna chahte ho .. Nobody gives 2 shits about designations outside the govt employees circles and "asspirants".. Its all about the money .. I know a test pilot that took early retirement and made a lot of money as a civilian pilot.. still gets full respect as a former test pilot and lives a luxurious life as well. Likewise those that finished their service are in stress cause they cannot afford houses in large metros.

mist_consecutive

Golgappe Expert
Contributor
Country flag
I don't know why this conversation is dragging on so long. Being a pilot (of civilian airlines) is a respectable and well-paying job, and in no way you can compare it with being a conductor/driver of a train or bus.

How many IAF/IA personnel end up being flag officers? A tiny majority, most retire after achieving Colonel/Group Captain. Many take voluntary retirement due to health issues, stress, or just on the ground that they were not promoted.

Now, once outside into the world, what is one supposed to do ? If they have any specific trade skills, they tend to go towards that side. Mil. doctors are easily absorbed by leading hospitals, some open their own clinics. Technical personnels are often absorbed in their respective govt. or PSU industry, and pilots into flying/training.

It's just natural. From your reply, I think perhaps any of your family members are affiliated with the armed forces, then you should know the immense stress and mental torture they go through. An easy civilian life with a fat salary is pretty lucrative.

mist_consecutive

Golgappe Expert
Contributor
Country flag

The living legend
Also to note, 90% of war veterans who have directly participated in action retire voluntarily within a year or two. It is pretty natural, oftentimes trauma and PSTD are unbearable and our armed forces are not very supportive regarding that sense.

The ones who still stick around after that, are the real GOAT, and often end up getting promoted to high leadership positions.

Aditya Ballal

Country flag
Also to note, 90% of war veterans who have directly participated in action retire voluntarily within a year or two. It is pretty natural, oftentimes trauma and PSTD are unbearable and our armed forces are not very supportive regarding that sense.

The ones who still stick around after that, are the real GOAT, and often end up getting promoted to high leadership positions.
Group Captain Nachiketa also had some back pain issues due to his ejection, and then transferred from Migs to flying IL-78 tankers if I’m not mistaken, so this too might be another reason for his early retirement and taking a relatively less stressful occupation, with good pay.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles