Indian Air Force: News & Discussions

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
India considering Indo-Israeli long range armed UAV after putting multibillion dollar American Predator drone deal on hold

Read more At:

The Shrike

Country flag
India considering Indo-Israeli long range armed UAV after putting multibillion dollar American Predator drone deal on hold

Read more At:
Most likely refering to the Israeli Hermes drones marketed by Adani. Purely screwdriver-giri but is some how considered "indigenous". Plus these are nowhere close to capability compared to latest gen Reapers and rather close to Rustom instead.

Haldilal

लड़ते लड़ते जीना है, लड़ते लड़ते मरना है
Country flag
Ya'll Nibbiars The On 13 Jan 1979, no less than 19 MiG-21 aircraft took to the skies over Halwara in broad formation in preparation for RD Flypast. The RD flypast with the MiG-21 did not happen, but this picture from that era survives. Unlikely a bigger MiG 21 only formation ever flews.

FXMc2x_VUAE7jhS.jpeg

mist_consecutive

Golgappe Expert
Contributor
Country flag
Most likely refering to the Israeli Hermes drones marketed by Adani. Purely screwdriver-giri but is some how considered "indigenous". Plus these are nowhere close to capability compared to latest gen Reapers and rather close to Rustom instead.
Why is everyone so against screwdrivergiri ? You start with screwdrivergiri and then keep on increasing local parts. Some complex systems like synthetic aperture radar or EO payload might be imported, but that too we can replace in future iterations.

Take success stories of some systems we first imported, then started screwdrivergiri, and now we have essentially made them >70% indigenous, like BMP-2, Su-30MKI, T-72 & T-90 tanks, among other systems.

vishnugupt

Country flag
Why is everyone so against screwdrivergiri ? You start with screwdrivergiri and then keep on increasing local parts. Some complex systems like synthetic aperture radar or EO payload might be imported, but that too we can replace in future iterations.

Take success stories of some systems we first imported, then started screwdrivergiri, and now we have essentially made them >70% indigenous, like BMP-2, Su-30MKI, T-72 & T-90 tanks, among other systems.
Your opinion is exceeding even most Kamchor Babu or OFB comrades.

200 years of British Raj + 75 years from Independence, India has been doing Screwdrivergiri and achieved something useless even today. Moreover, above mentioned systems are only partially Indian after paying huge price.

हर चीज का एक समय होता हैं।
Initially this approach was ok but not today.

If We had stopped Screwdrivergiri by 1970s then we would have been in better condition today unlike still operating Junk system of foreign origin.

mist_consecutive

Golgappe Expert
Contributor
Country flag
Your opinion is exceeding even most Kamchor Babu or OFB comrades.

200 years of British Raj + 75 years from Independence, India has been doing Screwdrivergiri and achieved something useless even today. Moreover, above mentioned systems are only partially Indian after paying huge price.

हर चीज का एक समय होता हैं।
Initially this approach was ok but not today.

If We had stopped Screwdrivergiri by 1970s then we would have been in better condition today unlike still operating Junk system of foreign origin.
Talk logically instead of throwing meaningless rants.

We need drones. period. China already has them in great quality and quantity, and Pakistan is constantly increasing its inventory, including high-endurance HALE drones like Baykar Akinci.

I have no idea what's up with our Tapas project but clearly, it is in muddied waters. We need this capability, otherwise, our Air Chief will have to say like last time, "If we had X things would have been different", and at that time, no one will shoulder the blame for our lack of capability except the armed forces.

Idealists like you prioritize self-gratification of innovation at the cost of practical capabilities. In war, nobody will care if the advantage is through screwdrivergiri, home-grown platform, or imported.

vishnugupt

Country flag
Talk logically instead of throwing meaningless rants.

We need drones. period. China already has them in great quality and quantity, and Pakistan is constantly increasing its inventory, including high-endurance HALE drones like Baykar Akinci.

I have no idea what's up with our Tapas project but clearly, it is in muddied waters. We need this capability, otherwise, our Air Chief will have to say like last time, "If we had X things would have been different", and at that time, no one will shoulder the blame for our lack of capability except the armed forces.

Idealists like you prioritize self-gratification of innovation at the cost of practical capabilities. In war, nobody will care if the advantage is through screwdrivergiri, home-grown platform, or imported.
How could I be idealistic?? I have never opposed every Import blindly.

I said, we have done lots of Screwdrivergiri and mastered nothing. You mentioned adding things while doing Screwdrivergiri then show me result?? What have we added in T-90?? In SU-30mki?? Nothing. Infact we have tied our hand and begging from Russia.

We haven't got anything in the name of ToT, not even modern way of manufacturing.

So what we have got?? Nothing

Some people might manage to tell me miniscule achievements by Screwdrivergiri but you need to understand magnitude of preparation Indian need to fight a civilizational war with China??

Most important thing is nobody is giving you critical technology via ToT. Everyone run away the moment we ask critical technology. If we can't get critical technology than what is the benefits of Screwdrivergiri?

Give a thought ! How could India make a world class LCA Tejas but can't make a genuine Assault riffle??

Corvus Splendens

Country flag

Read more At:
1657644861464.png

vishnugupt

Country flag
as expected .

am i wrong or is IAF going from bad to worse. hope this is false news.

Many Gyaanis and import lovers who give advice for 100% ToT with 100% make in India must have some explanation to offer here.

They must answer what to do in this situation or slap your face twice.

SU-30MKI deal was a best deal ever done by India with almost 100% ToT and 100% made in India (Except critical component). Indian will never ever get a best deal as Su-30mki because Russia was bankrupt at that time.

It is also worth to remind DFIans that this is Imported air force which has been keep on insisting Russian involvement for Su-30mki. HAL and DRDO has offered local upgrade but rejected by cry baby.

mist_consecutive

Golgappe Expert
Contributor
Country flag
as expected .

am i wrong or is IAF going from bad to worse. hope this is false news.

Well, the only solution now is to go the China way. IIRC the upgrade package included sensory suite enhancement.
We can replace all of them with our own indigenous ones, only thing is we will have to show the middle finger to Russia if they object, losing the warranty and any future help from them in the process.

BARS Radar -> Up-scaled Uttam Mk2
EW Suite -> BEL EW Suite
MAWS -> IMO not possible
Missiles -> Already inducted & getting inducted
SPJ -> ELM-8222 is good enough, also indigenous one in development
EO -> Under development

What else?

Many Gyaanis and import lovers who give advice for 100% ToT with 100% make in India must have some explanation to offer here.

They must answer what to do in this situation or slap your face twice.

SU-30MKI deal was a best deal ever done by India with almost 100% ToT and 100% made in India (Except critical component). Indian will never ever get a best deal as Su-30mki because Russia was bankrupt at that time.

It is also worth to remind DFIans that this is Imported air force which has been keep on insisting Russian involvement for Su-30mki. HAL and DRDO has offered local upgrade but rejected by cry baby.
We can fit everything indigenous on Su-30MKI, we have the mission computer and code with us. The only problem is Russia will be very unhappy, that fact which we must ignore now.

If I recall, back in the day when we did not have UTTAM AESA Radar Ready, The Russians were offering us their Zhuk AESA radar for SU-30 MKI.
The Navy has already rejected Zhuk AESA as inferior and is planning to upgrade to Uttam AESA.

mokoman

Country flag
What nonsense? Which AESA radar is Russia offering for Su-30MKI? Irbis-E? lol.
the same one Russians use on su57 is what people think.

i read about UTTAM , but dont know much . i dont think details of upgrade were ever published.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles