Indian Air Force: News & Discussions

Brood Father

Country flag
After losing billions worth order to AUKUS deal France is rattled and trying to secure more orders for rafale and nuke subs deal along with panthers helicopter. GoI shouldn't waste this opportunity and negotiate with France. Hope we can order more rafales and go ahead with SMX 3.0 which was offered for IN.
France has taken some revenge by UAE Rafale deal and cancelation of F35 . It will calm down some tension between US and France .
So whatever deal needs to be done should be done quickly but whether our Babus and netas have this acumen is a big question

Gandaberunda

Country flag
France has taken some revenge by UAE Rafale deal and cancelation of F35 . It will calm down some tension between US and France .
So whatever deal needs to be done should be done quickly but whether our Babus and netas have this acumen is a big question
French were milking Australia with their overpriced Baraccuda SSN. The order was huge and uncle Sam usurped France with AUKUS. The UAE rafale order is just band aid to the wound doesn't going to heal.
Even at this point of time our babus are not active to take advantage. The French themselves ( literally begging for additional orders of rafales ) fearing uncle Sam may pressurise us to go for their 114 F21.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
French were milking Australia with their overpriced Baraccuda SSN. The order was huge and uncle Sam usurped France with AUKUS. The UAE rafale order is just band aid to the wound doesn't going to heal.
Even at this point of time our babus are not active to take advantage. The French themselves ( literally begging for additional orders of rafales ) fearing uncle Sam may pressurise us to go for their 114 F21.
The French are not foolish. They know well about our apprehensions of an American combat aircraft. the F-21 is more of a carrot hanging for the US to stop needling us as we focus on other equipment from them. Macron knows that we won't buy combat jets from the US, especially not with the kind of damage control that has been happening since Biden-Harris ran afoul with PM Modi. He also knows that we are wary about being ditched about Quad. While Japan will quietly lick its wounds as it is a US partner, we will be left with oru pants down and we don't want that.

This 114 deal may get canceled and be redirected to Tejas Mk2. If at all we buy those 114 jets, there is a 90% chance that they will be Rafales. Even with Tejas Mk2, we can still go for the Barracuda nuclear submarines. That would be a game-changer. In fact, that would reinstate French confidence to completely vector away from the US and give Macron the weapons to justify to the EU Parliament of having an independent European foreign policy, distinct from Uncle Sam.

If I were leading this decision, I would:

1) keep the tender drama for public consumption, while continuing to focus on 114 Tejas Mk2s.
2) Make Safran the engine development and design partner for AMCA and TEDBF fighters.
3) Scrap the P75I in favor of the Barracuda class and hand over the contract to the Naval Group.
4) Formalize 2+2 with France along the same line as US, Japan, Russia & Australia.

This would:

a) strengthen the domestic aerospace sector
b) give France the confidence for future co-development of advanced military technologies & make it a reliable partner

Super Flanker

Aviation and Defence Enthusiast
Country flag
UHm , even wikipedia lists India as an operator of the KS-172... its no secret, AT ALL!

Infact the production was restarted in 2004 specifically after India requested participation in the program
Looks it's seems to be true afterall that we are an active Operator of These Novator Missiles.
I guess that's the case here.
Hopefully the Next time Pakistan comes with their AWACS like how they did on 27th February, we will fire a couple of these Missiles at their SAAB 2000 Erieye AWACS and their Chinese AWACS and shoot them down! It will be such a good thing for us!
'agle baar chini apne AWACs leke aye tho Novator se phod dena chahiye' !
hopefully Indian Airforce knows what it's doing. Rest I can assure my case here.
Good day
Novator-KS172-1.jpg

Photon

Country flag
One of the last indian spitfire, This is our attitude towards aeronautical history. When it shipped to UK from Indian Air Force Museum at Palam ?The same ignorance towards Maruth also, there are no any flying Maruth aircraft remains, only remaining one in good condition is at Germany

Last edited:

Haldilal

लड़ते लड़ते जीना है, लड़ते लड़ते मरना है
Country flag
The French are not foolish. They know well about our apprehensions of an American combat aircraft. the F-21 is more of a carrot hanging for the US to stop needling us as we focus on other equipment from them. Macron knows that we won't buy combat jets from the US, especially not with the kind of damage control that has been happening since Biden-Harris ran afoul with PM Modi. He also knows that we are wary about being ditched about Quad. While Japan will quietly lick its wounds as it is a US partner, we will be left with oru pants down and we don't want that.

This 114 deal may get canceled and be redirected to Tejas Mk2. If at all we buy those 114 jets, there is a 90% chance that they will be Rafales. Even with Tejas Mk2, we can still go for the Barracuda nuclear submarines. That would be a game-changer. In fact, that would reinstate French confidence to completely vector away from the US and give Macron the weapons to justify to the EU Parliament of having an independent European foreign policy, distinct from Uncle Sam.

If I were leading this decision, I would:

1) keep the tender drama for public consumption, while continuing to focus on 114 Tejas Mk2s.
2) Make Safran the engine development and design partner for AMCA and TEDBF fighters.
3) Scrap the P75I in favor of the Barracuda class and hand over the contract to the Naval Group.
4) Formalize 2+2 with France along the same line as US, Japan, Russia & Australia.

This would:

a) strengthen the domestic aerospace sector
b) give France the confidence for future co-development of advanced military technologies & make it a reliable partner
Ya'll Nibbiars The Barracuds are costly.

nixin

Light Combat Aircraft Tejas is not being inducted into the Indian Air Force as a replacement for the MiG-21, but part of the modernisation programme for the IAF.

A total of 123 Tejas are to be manufactured (per extant orders)

GOI announced in reply to a Parliament question

nixin

Light Combat Aircraft Tejas is not being inducted into the Indian Air Force as a replacement for the MiG-21, but part of the modernisation programme for the IAF.

Can't Mig21s be converted into unmanned Kamikaze fleet?

FalconZero

Country flag

I don't know if anyone wants but here's the question to which he was answering. Was curious about the exact context of the question so looked it up,
1639995775970.png

link,

I read that since it was an unstarred question, there can't be a supplementary question but i wish they could ask for what's the plan for the current bisons then? Will they be replaced with something else or just phases out and that's it, indirectly it's the same thing as saying replacement so i don't get the logic here honestly.

Kalkioftoday

Country flag
Ya'll Nibbiars The Barracuds are costly.
I don't know why anyone would want barracudas. Many in here and in twitter are asking for Barracudas. LoL. We have built SSBNs of our own. Instead of doing an ultra mega expansive TOT & screwdrivergiri on a completely new foreign submarine, let's take the french help in the places where we are lacking and build an indian SSN

Haldilal

Country flag
I don't know why anyone would want barracudas. Many in here and in twitter are asking for Barracudas. LoL. We have built SSBNs of our own. Instead of doing an ultra mega expansive TOT & screwdrivergiri on a completely new foreign submarine, let's take the french help in the places where we are lacking and build an indian SSN
Ya'll Nibbiars we are already doing that.

Super Flanker

Country flag
Ya'll Nibbiars we are already doing that.
To be honest Yes we are already doing that under Project 75 alpha (not to be Confused with Project 75 I) which is a project by which we will be designing and building Indigenous Nuclear Powered Submarines(SSNs)

No need of buying Barracuda class SSNs at all, we already have experience of building Nuclear Powered Submarines like how we built INS Arihant etc with the Exception maybe we should take french assistance in areas were help is required.

Haldilal

Country flag
To be honest Yes we are already doing that under Project 75 alpha (not to be Confused with Project 75 I) which is a project by which we will be designing and building Indigenous Nuclear Powered Submarines(SSNs)

No need of buying Barracuda class SSNs at all, we already have experience of building Nuclear Powered Submarines like how we built INS Arihant etc with the Exception maybe we should take french assistance in areas were help is required.
Ya'll Nibbiars we should pour more resources on that. Instead of six need to built atleast dozens.

Super Flanker

Country flag
Ya'll Nibbiars we should pour more resources on that. Instead of six need to built atleast dozens.
Build dozens? really?I am not sure and I don't think so that we need to build dozens of SSNs, from my personal opinion, we don't need that many at all. Around 6 at Maximum would be enough to be a credible and Potent platform for the Indian Navy.

We will adding to our Submarine fleet a mix of Nuclear and Conventional Diesel Submarines. We just simply don't need dozens of SSNs.
41351029222_98ffbf5857_h.jpg

Haldilal

Country flag
Build dozens? really?I am not sure and I don't think so that we need to build dozens of SSNs, from my personal opinion, we don't need that many at all. Around 6 at Maximum would be enough to be a credible and Potent platform for the Indian Navy.
Ya'll Nibbiars China will build a lot of SSN's why not?. We just need budget for that. And patrolling such large Indian Ocean needs more than 6 SSN's.

Super Flanker

Country flag
Ya'll Nibbiars China will build a lot if SSN's why not?. We just need budget for that. And patrolling such large Indian Ocean needs more than 6 SSN's.
@Haldilal Mate see, china will also be building more than 5+ Aircraft Carriers so Meaning by your logic we will need to build the exact number of Aircraft Carriers to counter them?Instead of doing that, at most we should have Just 3-4 Aircraft carriers at maximum (not more than 4) instead of building more Carriers we should invest in more Anti Ship assets like More potent versions of Brahmos.

Applying this logic here, currently our economy is not to the level of china that it can afford dozens of SSNs at all, at most you just need to build 6-8 such nuclear powered Submarines to counter them and most importantly you should invest more in (Anti Submarine Warfare) Technology to counter them in my opinion.

Hope you understand what I am trying to tell you.
s80-spain.jpg

Haldilal

Country flag
Ya'll Nibbiars @ezsasa Nibba please clean up the mess.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles