Indian Air Force: News & Discussions

Kumata

Country flag
Need to look into finer details ... TATA already makes many components for boeing.. ruddder et all

but

To me it appears that Airbus have made big inroads into IAF...hope they are able to maintain it... think French factor is playing big time in these deals....

LakshmanPST7

Country flag
From what I read (though I don't remember where), An32 is more useful in high altitude bases given the higher engine power, which is almost twice that of C295...
So, while C295 can replace many An32s, IAF may need a plane more optimized for high altitude bases to replace remaining An32s...

Last edited:

pipebomb

Country flag
From what I read (though I don't remember where), An32 is more useful in high altitude bases given the higher engine power, which is almost twice that of C295...
So, while C295 can replace many An32s, IAF may need a plane more optimized for high altitude bases to replace remaining An32s...
Then why GOI bought it ? Why not buy an aircraft which can operate from all over India ? I can understand why IAF wants to increase no. of airframe. You see more airframes needs to more pilots to fly them :wink:

Rajaraja Chola

Country flag
the ~20 or so IL-76/78 will be given a deep upgrade to keep them flying another 15-20 years. This will buy the IAF time to wait and see what USAF does about replacing their C-17s, there was some talk of reopening the line as much of their C-17 fleet has been burned out thanks to the WoT and they need replacements much sooner than they had imagined (30-40 years)

Wouldn’t be a bad idea to order another 6-12 C-130J-30s for the utility role as in some cases the C-17 is being used where a C-130J could do the job.

4 years for all 16 to be handed over. I imagine the first will be handed over within 3 years

can’t imagine them coming much sooner as training and infrastructure creation has to take place

will be interesting to learn the production timelines in India by TASL.
I hope no regarding the C17. As mentioned, this C295 comes with our own EW suite and in future with our own Nirbhay missiles and other equipments. Forget doing something like that on US platforms. Any Indian equipped we do equip on US platforms are communication equipment which needs to be sent to the US for installation. With US history we know what they are bound to do.

We should continue with Russian or Airbus ones. C17 or C130 are good aircrafts. But as again US proved to Afghans, they are not a one to be trusted.

Kumata

Country flag
Then why GOI bought it ? Why not buy an aircraft which can operate from all over India ? I can understand why IAF wants to increase no. of airframe. You see more airframes needs to more pilots to fly them :wink:

is that a rocket science ???

LakshmanPST7

Country flag
I don't know the history of why they bought it, but I guess the process started as a replacement of HS748...
I guess future replacement of An32 will be mix of C295s and C130J/another aircraft...

pipebomb

Country flag
I don't know the history of why they bought it, but I guess the process started as a replacement of HS748...
I guess future replacement of An32 will be mix of C295s and C130J/another aircraft...
This is the problem no one is questioning why IAF bought a narrow body aircraft over il112v or c27j Spartan. These 56 airframes will be permanently handicapped, limited to human or light cargo. Instead IAF will very soon smoothly/slyly put forward c130(a four engine aircraft with significantly higher opex) requirements.

jackprince

Turning into a frog
Country flag
C295 isn't replacement of AN32s, but of Avro.

However, save for few high altitude airbases, C295 wont have any problem whatsoever to operate from all other bases. But, for the few bases that are really on a height like Leh or some advance air strips where C295 might struggle like due to low powered engine, a few C130J can be used to service those places.

C295 is an overall capable airplane - reliable, economical and versatile, suitable for almost all the works IAF can throw at it.

Anyways, if IAF finds it lacking, there still is ample time to get another platform to replace An32. But, logic says it wont. There are very very few airbases in himalayas that operates from above 1000ft height.

Nationalist Manasvi Papa

Country flag
This is the problem no one is questioning why IAF bought a narrow body aircraft over il112v or c27j Spartan. These 56 airframes will be permanently handicapped, limited to human or light cargo. Instead IAF will very soon smoothly/slyly put forward c130(a four engine aircraft with significantly higher opex) requirements.
Isn't leonardo blacklisted?

jackprince

Turning into a frog
Country flag
I hope no regarding the C17. As mentioned, this C295 comes with our own EW suite and in future with our own Nirbhay missiles and other equipments. Forget doing something like that on US platforms. Any Indian equipped we do equip on US platforms are communication equipment which needs to be sent to the US for installation. With US history we know what they are bound to do.

We should continue with Russian or Airbus ones. C17 or C130 are good aircrafts. But as again US proved to Afghans, they are not a one to be trusted.
Nirbhay on C295? Why the hell would we put CM on a medium cargo plane? How would we carry it? How will we deliver it?

Do you think you can trust Russians?

Don't be naive. In international diplomacy, no one trusts another. Heck, during cold war era KGB had more spies than CIA in India! Also it was in Tashkand in USSR we lost one PM who could have led the nation away from the family run business.

In the high table of international interest, only the stupid trusts another.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles