India-China 2020 Border Dispute - Military and Strategic Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

daya

Country flag
Modi comes from backward caste. Though his name sounds 'bania'; 'bania' community itself is varied. 'bania' is not 'agarwal' necessarily. Most 'bania' (or 'vanik' - trader in sanskrit) are not 'agarwal'. My thesis is that 'agarwal' is a community from Sindh that migrated around 2500 years back.

Modi is different from typical 'bania' and has risk taking ability.

I think war is now certain. Only thing remaining to discuss is timing.
Sir, I reiterate that at the instance when China realises that Modi ji will be ordering for offensive action, China will sit and settle all the issues on the table. China will retreat.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
The Chinese fought well in the korean war.. Bad to stereotype people as war like or non warlike. We can say that the Chinese of 1950s were pretty comfortable with war, since they were subject to repeated japanese invasions, and then civil war. But, the chinese of today have not fought for 4 decades. So, this will work in India's favour initially if there is a war..
Even the fresh american troops first sent to africa during WWII were left shell shocked when they first faced General Rommel in battle.. But, they quickly got used to war and slaughter. Once, the shooting starts, this advantage that India has will diminish with time..
I agree with you...

No one should underestimate the enemy nor stereotype the Chinese/

Indian Army of 1962 was a WWI, WWII, NW Frontier Campaigns and Burma Campaign veteran. All soldiers had sufficient combat experience. Indian has just successfully handled partition, 1947-48 J&K Operations, the annexation of Hyderabad and Goa.

Chinese soldiers, on the other hand, were ill-equipped PLA guerrillas. Still Indian system collapsed like a pack of cards.

It is not only the soldiers and Generals but the leadership, intelligence, bureaucracy diplomacy which must be adept at handling a War and Conflict. Mao and Chau Enlai were themselves military leaders. Marshall Chuteh was a guerilla veteran general. PLA had all resources under their command.

Nehru, Menon. their diplomates, Intelligence officers and ICS babus had no experience in handling national strategic affairs. When it came to generalship they appointed an atta supplier General Koul as the commander.. there was almost an inner break up in Army leadership...

Can one imagine that Ladakh which has four divisions of troops was defended by a total of four Infantry battalions only... Entire Arunachal which has six divisions was defended by a Division and it collapsed due to Bhola Nath Malik insisting that troop deploy into Sumdong Chu and attack Dhola..

So please do not underestimate the Chinese,, if they have urban brats so does Indian Army of today. Marde Momins from across our borders have committed that mistake many times and paid dearly for it.. Indian Army has to go fully prepared to face a brainwashed technology-savvy lad..

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
PM doesn't deal with numbers. He only consults the executive for vital inputs on which to base his decisions on. He looks at his military commanders for the tactical options, and then he looks at the babus for the numbers (whether we can sustain a war, and what would the war cost us). The babu always comes up with a red light.

An IAS-mukt MoD is in India's best interests.

IAS to India is what the Pakistan Army is to Pakistan (a bloated parasitic organized crime cartel that hogs the most taxpayer money). Over-reliance on bureaucracy (Mandarins) is what inflicted the worst suffering upon imperial and nationalist China. And India is headed in the same direction. It's ripe for upheaval by some revolutionary force (communism? Hindu theocracy? military? we'll see).
Indian political and bureaucratic leadership is very weak in understanding Security and strategic issues because the British always kept them out of it. Even after 1935 provincial elections, Indian elected represented were not anywhere near defence and Security matters.. Only Tej Bhadaur Sapru was in the Defence Accounts committee. The Police officers and Kalu ICS Babus were always kept away from C-in-C outfit and Services HQ, a few Indian officers like Cariappa had barely reached the rank of Brigadiers,,

After independence, Subhash Chandra was out and Sardar Patel also died, So there was none in the country who could understand mechanics of strategy.

Even after debacle of 1962, it was business as usual with Foreign Service appropriating the issue of strategy in the name of Foreign relations.. After every war and every pay commission, army leadership was short-changed by power and status hungry Civil bureaucrats and IPS. That became an officially accepted culture of the National Security apparatus..,, Chalane Do... salute anything that moves and paint all that is static.

Nothing much has changed under RSS and Modi.. Nothing Changed under Vajpai.. We can have a look at Kuomintang and CCP approach to nationalism via the National Security apparatus and learn something from it.. Nationalism without strong National Security Apparatus is an empty slogan..

In recent times, the hold of bureaucracy has tightened for the worst and negative consequences for India's National Security,, there is no coordination and synergy. BJP has treated MoD as a waste paper bin.. to throw an indifferent and unwilling leader as RM incapable of kicking Babus around.. During this crisis BJP should have made use of VK Singh .. even under check.. put him under Rajnath Singh.. but I think the DS and MoD Babus and peons will commit suicide..

Gen Rawat is the first CDS without any operational authority and should be allowed to stabilize the office which many in the system and outside are quite willing to prove as a liability....

There is no way out for BJP but nationalism through strong National Security apparatus.. which is also the need of the hour. Gurumurthy writing useless ill-informed articles against the mediocrity of generals is not the solution.

The solution lies somewhere else..

DownWithCCP

Country flag
India desperately needs a cyber offensive division(I presume it does not exist), maybe we can learn from Israel and their exploits in cyberwarfare, is it possible for exercises(of sorts) between 2 armies when it comes to cyberwarfare?

cereal killer

Country flag
India desperately needs a cyber offensive division(I presume it does not exist), maybe we can learn from Israel and their exploits in cyberwarfare, is it possible for exercises(of sorts) between 2 armies when it comes to cyberwarfare?
Yes we need an Army. We may not have resources in abundance as China but we can do better in this aspect. Signs are good though Indian hackers are hacking Paki sites regularly. But Government must come forward & offer support to them. We can build our own Cyber Army. Last I heard many Hackers are sentenced to Jail for frauds in India but China instead gives them opportunity that's how they build an Cyber army.

LDev

Country flag
I agree with you...

It is not only the soldiers and Generals but the leadership, intelligence, bureaucracy diplomacy which must be adept at handling a War and Conflict. Mao and Chau Enlai were themselves military leaders................

Nehru, Menon. their diplomates, Intelligence officers and ICS babus had no experience in handling national strategic affairs. When it came to generalship they appointed an atta supplier General Koul as the commander.. there was almost an inner break up in Army leadership
The quote below captures the essence of what you are saying, whether it be military leadership or political leadership:

"I do not fear an army of lions led by a sheep, I fear an army of sheep led by a lion." ~Alexander the Great

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles