India-China 2020 Border Dispute - Military and Strategic Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

garg_bharat

Country flag
Rajiv Gandhi also went on a defense shopping spree during his PM term; and by the time he died, India was on the verge of bankruptcy.

The whole thing about Chowkidar had to do with posture and decision making/political will + cutting out corruption. Which has been done. This Gvt is far more fiscally responsible than most previous Gvt's, and on top of that they have to keep everyone happy because Congress has turned our politics into a "Who can give me the most free shit" Contest - and the moment Modi tried to deviate from all that, and tried to bring reforms - he immediately got hit with suit-boot jibes in his first term, which could have turned into his version of an India Shining moment.

So now economic reforms and progress, as well as key spending areas like defense - are hostage to ensuring that all the poor people (including farmers who whine for loan waivers every couple years) are taken care of - so they don't vote out the Gvt before it gets to implement its various agenda points. COVID would logically cause further budget crunches - though the 2 front situation makes me believe we don't have a choice but to raise spending. And being left with the hot potato that was OROP has likely played a role in budget shortages too, but it had to be done.

Still, compared to previous Gvts, the budget may seem small, but the current Gvt has done well to trim the wastage/inefficiency and has cut out the massive corruption and acquisition scams that used to plague us.

Before the budget is raised, I believe the Army needs to take a long-hard look at its manpower size/manpower centric approach, certain big projects (like the IAC 3 and MMRCA) need to be re-considered/altered, and where possible - we need to learn to make do with locally produced systems/hardware (LCA + MWF instead of a huge MMRCA order, ALH and LUH can meet most helicopter needs, we have plenty of good artillery guns made at home, Arjuns vs importing thousands of Russian tanks etc).

A budget increase should be based on the findings of these reviews/studies - and priority for spending should be on local products where possible, even after an increase.
Lancer Bhai, defence budget increase has already happened and in a time of depressed economy.

This year 3% may be reached and even that may not be adequate.

I think 2021 may see even larger amount.

The budget discussion no longer has meaning.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
So the forum is graduating from from Chinese in Galwan valley to Nuclear strikes...
There is a significant class of people in India especially amongst Politicians, Babus and DRDO who think that soldiers no longer require a good rifle because India has Prithvi and Agni.. They even go to the town declaring there would not be any military Conflict and Army is just wasting national resources...

How wrong they have been proved time and again... again and again.

cereal killer

Country flag
I am 100% with this idea to start a border war because Biden would be disastrous for us🤔

View attachment 55423

View attachment 55424

View attachment 55425
This dude is living in a parallel universe. China after killing lakhs of US citizens & US is still hesitating to ban a app & he is expecting Trump will sink a carrier lmao. Alliance is fine but some people really are delusional. Indian government assessment so far is spot on. US can only help us to a limit.

DownWithCCP

Country flag
This dude is living in a parallel universe. China after killing lakhs of US citizens & US is still hesitating to ban a app & he is expecting Trump will sink a carrier lmao. Alliance is fine but some people really are delusional. Indian government assessment so far is spot on. US can only help us to a limit.
A much more nuanced way of saying it is that whatever assistance we are receiving also may be in danger if Joe Biden is elected to power(unlikely but not impossible is my opinion).

A chauhan

"अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l"
Country flag
Trump is better for India, he might do some offensive to win upcoming elections. Biden is definitely a no no for both US and India. But liberalism doesn't care about common sense and defense of a nation, liberals vote after lofty fake ideals.

cereal killer

Country flag
A much more nuanced way of saying it is that whatever assistance we are receiving also may be in danger if Joe Biden is elected to power(unlikely but not impossible is my opinion).
Will Biden suddenly turn pro china? I don't think so. Remember US has toiled hard to gain goodwill with India. Bush, Obama, trump all have done hard work. He may be bit more soft towards Pakistan than what trump is though difference may be minimal. But honestly any major Foreign policy change isn't happening. It's ultimately Pentagon's call.

Mikesingh

Professional
Country flag
Looking at the latest polling tracker data below, let me put it this way. We're fu***d!!

Untitled-1 copy.jpg

:crying::scared2:

doreamon

Country flag
Looking at the latest polling tracker data below, let me put it this way. We're fu***d!!

View attachment 55439

:crying::scared2:
Trump was nt best fr india as well... removal of GSP , restriction on h1b visa.. rise racial hate for NRI/overseas indian in usa, always threat of imposition of catsa for which s400 deal got delayed.. we lost chabar port due to trump's policies..

Shashank Nayak

Country flag
View attachment 55441

All liberal US media reported a win for Clinton in 2016.

actual

Clinton : 232
Trump : 306

:hmm: IMHO trump will win , but will be close.
Biden will be more beneficial to both China and India.. The only good thing about Trump, was on Trade, Trump was much worse for China, when compared to the damage India had to suffer.
Although.. there will be a lot of Sermons to India about the pathetic state of human rights in Kashmir and ill-treatment of Muslims under Modi..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles