India-China 2020 Border conflict

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rudra7678

Country flag
You need to read up on second world war and how USSR fought. You need to learn about how USA helped USSR though lend and lease.
Lend Lease only accounted for 14% of total war time production for USSR. The real lend lease came in the latter half of 1943, when major battles (Kursk/Stalingrad) had be won and the Wehrmacht was on retreat. Lend lease though helpful, was not critical at all.

EDIT: Not all lend lease reached USSR (which was not the original intended recipient for it), a lot of shipment was lost at sea.

Shashank Nayak

Country flag
No, landing a warplane without there being any occasion (eg: a formal bilateral military exercise), is unusual. The P8 landing was possibly the first "casual" landing of a US military asset on Indian soil since 1947. It was the first major use of LEMOA for an air asset.

So far the chicom/paki calculation has been "LEMOA is a bluff, India will never allow US warplanes on its soil, the Indian political opposition would burn the ruling party at the stake for it."

That calculation has been busted.
As I said in my earlier post, it is a good signal as regards to the direction of Indo-US military ties, but in no way indicates that the US will shed blood for India in a conflict with China. Yes, the US will provide intelligence and help with ammo. But, it would be India that would pay the price for getting its expectations wrong. And setting the right expectations is what IAF chief has done..

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Country flag
If only we could revive the C-17 production line, maybe something like an order of ~20 or more Globemasters, and replace our aging IL-76 fleet.

The incoming of C17s has completely changed our airlifting game.
I think it's cheaper to negotiate with Pentagon for sale of a handful second-hand USAF C-17s than to lobby with Boeing for a new production run. The Americans have 220 in their inventory.

Poseidon

Country flag
Friends and brothers, please comment on this development:

mist_consecutive

Golgappe Expert
Country flag
I think it's cheaper to negotiate with Pentagon for sale of a handful second-hand USAF C-17s than to lobby with Boeing for a new production run. The Americans have 220 in their inventory.
I think we tried, they only agreed to sell one more to us. Also if I remember, both C17 and C130s come with some pre-installed hardware & software for Indian needs, like IFFs and datalink.

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Country flag
I think we tried, they only agreed to sell one more to us. Also if I remember, both C17 and C130s come with some pre-installed hardware & software for Indian needs, like IFFs and datalink.
Circumstances have changed, also, scrubbing the aircraft of classified hardware and installing India-specific hardware probably takes a week in a hangar (if the India-specific hardware is ready to install).

garg_bharat

Country flag
IAF chief was right.. He was setting the right expectations in a public that faces a possible war against China, in the near future, and was responding to a question whether the US B-2s in Diego Garcia are to deter China in Ladakh. It is better to squash unrealistic expectations before they take hold.
The fact remains that in a India China border war, given that we are not an alliance partner of the US, there is no way that those B-2s will do anything more than decorate the tarmac in Deigo Garcia.
The reasons for B2 deployment in Diego Garcia may not be for India; but a diplomatic answer is better. Keep your enemy guessing.

I see China's threats to India increasing in the near future as our Pundits shoot themselves in the foot. While Pompeo talks in favour of India; our own Chief denies any collaboration.

Knowitall

If only we could revive the C-17 production line, maybe something like an order of ~20 or more Globemasters, and replace our aging IL-76 fleet.

The incoming of C17s has completely changed our airlifting game.
From what i have read the factory has been closed and that area in long Beach has been sold.

Recently under the new airforce requirements the US airforce stated that it would need more transport jets in the coming years.

But two years have already passed and nothing more has been said about it.

Getting more c-17 from US is impossible as they themselves are planning to reintroduce some of the c-17 that they retired back in 2012 to shore up the numbers.

Maybe we could ask qatar?

shade

Country flag
From what i have read the factory has been closed and that area in long Beach has been sold.

Recently under the new airforce requirements the US airforce stated that it would need more transport jets in the coming years.

But two years have already passed and nothing more has been said about it.

Getting more c-17 from US is impossible as they themselves are planning to reintroduce some of the c-17 that they retired back in 2012 to shore up the numbers.

Maybe we could ask qatar?
Anti India country, they are against the other Gulf Arabs and support Turkey and Pakistan over a host of issues, and also take the Paki position on Kashmir.
Qatari owned Al-Jizzeera regularly puts out anti Indian hitpieces.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Articles