IAF Mi-17V5 Crashed Near Coonoor (Tamil Nadu)-CDS Onboard

Indrajit

Country flag
Because Gen Rawat served extensively in Africa under UN where he and current paki army chief both worked together . Even his first interview after becoming army chief he clearly mentioned this camaraderie between them both . But then never take paki respect on face value we know how much they hate kaffir indian
While I see a lot of reporting suggesting that now, if I remember correctly the tenure of both were close but not overlapping in the UN mission. I'm open to correction but that's what I remember.

Indrajit

Country flag
I don't know if there is a delay in the appointment of the new CDS but some reporting suggests that the government doesn't want to tamper with army hierarchy now. If that's true and that's a big if, I don't get it. Having someone like Gen.Joshi as army chief( he and Gen Mohanty have the same seniority though the latter is vice chief) who's been dealing with the Chinese can only be a plus imo. If there is no desire to have the present army chief as CDS, then he was probably a poor choice as army chief even.

Maybe there isn't enough planning for such a sudden gap but we need to be quicker with such appointments. Had a service chief's position opened up, there would be no question of a delay, I see no reason why the CDS should be any different. All chiefs should be so chosen that any one of them should be appointable to the post of CDS. Picking favorites will be disastrous in the long run, its not always going to be the BJP in power.

Automatic Kalashnikov

Country flag
VVIP flying protocols will change: IAF chief
By

4-5 minutes

• “The VVIP protocols to fly will be reviewed. The review will be based on the findings of the court of inquiry into the crash,” the IAF chief said on the sidelines of a graduation parade at the Air Force Academy in Dundigal near Hyderabad.

oh well!
Before this crash there have been several crashes and many have been killed. Every time there use to be a court of inquiry as per official statement, anything substantial happened after these COI or not?

JBH22

Before this crash there have been several crashes and many have been killed. Every time there use to be a court of inquiry as per official statement, anything substantial happened after these COI or not?
You and I die, nothing will change why because we are nobody.
The nation losing an officer like Gen BiRA is a big loss. Hence, reviewing of procedures to prevent further occurrences. Unfortunately, accidents happened and will also occur in the future. What we can do is to reduce probability of it happening again for another VVIP.
And Yes, Mi-17V5 is a fine helicopter.

sorcerer

Country flag
We would never know what updates they did on the protocols and procedures etc.
Every mess up is an opportunity to evolve.
especially things like aircrash and its aftermath..

pipebomb

Country flag
I think any helicopter/aircraft can crash but survivability of structure varies greatly. Authorities need to review this aspect as well and make necessary changes. It seems like the latest mi-171 a3 helicopter has some changes to its fuselage in this direction.

Super Flanker

Aviation and Defence Enthusiast
Banned
To be fair ,this incident with regards to MI-17 is a Very tragic incident for me and it has shook me a lot to be honest.

We all have lost so many bravehearts in this accident ,we lost India's first CDS(Cheif of Defence staff), the Wife of CDS Bipin Rawat and many bravehearts which have left this Nation in tears.

I don't know what could be the cause of this accident but I have my personal theories which range from internal Sabotaging or assassination to attack by Terrorists to even the Failure of the MI-17 helicopter itself.

Don't know much to say here. Rest in peace all those who perished in this Incident! May their souls find peace!

JAI HIND VANDEMATRAM!
Bipin_Rawat_Chief_of_Defence_Staff_(CDS).jpg
20211215_124435.jpg
20211213_174131.jpg

vishnugupt

Country flag
To be fair ,this incident with regards to MI-17 is a Very tragic incident for me and it has shook me a lot to be honest.

We all have lost so many bravehearts in this accident ,we lost India's first CDS(Cheif of Defence staff), the Wife of CDS Bipin Rawat and many bravehearts which have left this Nation in tears.

I don't know what could be the cause of this accident but I have my personal theories which range from internal Sabotaging or assassination to attack by Terrorists to even the Failure of the MI-17 helicopter itself.

Don't know much to say here. Rest in peace all those who perished in this Incident! May their souls find peace!

JAI HIND VANDEMATRAM!
View attachment 126692View attachment 126693View attachment 126694
Same feelings except I don't believe in conspiracy. though helicopter rammed into the tree for no apparent reason or possibly due to fog.

Perhaps, we are unlucky in defence sector where good people go early and the Chandigarh lobby remains intact and continues flourishing on kickback money.

vishnugupt

Country flag
Dead of General Bipin Rawat in the crash is just an another blot on the face of UNAF. It says lot about UNAF's unprofessionalism and training of Carrom board warriors.

Now it's very hard for AF to put blame on helicopter age, it's engine, faulty repair by HAL and gravity itself ( Face saving culture of UNAF ). Because it will highlight IAF even in more bad light.

They failed to despatch a helicopter for route inspection before Rawat's helicopter.

This time they have to bite the bullet.... Blame the pilot "error due to bad weather" by using regretting language.

Vayuputra

Country flag
Dead of General Bipin Rawat in the crash is just an another blot on the face of UNAF. It says lot about UNAF's unprofessionalism and training of Carrom board warriors.

Now it's very hard for AF to put blame on helicopter age, it's engine, faulty repair by HAL and gravity itself ( Face saving culture of UNAF ). Because it will highlight IAF even in more bad light.

They failed to despatch a helicopter for route inspection before Rawat's helicopter.

This time they have to bite the bullet.... Blame the pilot "error due to bad weather" by using regretting language.
i had been to ooty, you find fog during evening or morning times but it is of small cloud that keeps moving from one place to ithe,its not like that entire nilgiris will be covered in fog qnd visibilitybis zero.i still believe that it was sabotaged from within thin.

mist_consecutive

Golgappe Expert
Contributor
Country flag

Super Flanker

Aviation and Defence Enthusiast
Banned

So I guess there was no internal Sabotaging as such as we had Originally Thought so.

But The question is why did that helicopter even take off in that weather? In such a weather you can't risk flying but for some reason that Helicopter still flew in that weather.

Before taking off, they should have atleast waited for the weather to get better and hence there would have been better visibility and than it would have been ideal to take off.

But All of them got disoriented at the same time and given it was a helo, which can VTOL, it seems rather unlikely to me.

I will wait further word till I accept anything with regards to this incident.
Hope we learn from our Mistakes and do better next time. Our Pilots need to improve and I wish for the best.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles