HAL Prachand - Light Combat Helicopter (LCH)

JAISWAL

Indian Light Combat Helicopter TD-2 successfully tested by HAL | Defence Aviation

Another major milestone was by achieved by
India's state owned Hindustan Aeronautics
Limited (HAL). According to our sources the
HAL's flagship helicopter development program
Light Combat Helicopter's (LCH) second prototype
TD-2 (Technology Demonstrator) achieved its first
flight at 1500hrs IST. This a major boost for the
program as this prototype is expected to be a
weaponized version.
The nature of this test flight is not yet clear but it
is believed that the helicopter made low level
hover similar to first test flight of LCH TD-1. The
TD-2 also has lots of Indian Army specific inputs
like the revolutionary digital camouflage. Also the
TD-2 is 100kgs lighter than the TD-1. TD-2 is also
equipped with a fully functional target acquisition
and pilots vision pod a feature which was not
seen in TD-1.
..............................for full article please go to above link

Last edited:

plugwater

LCH TD-2 makes a silent maiden flight; platform incorporates lots of new features
The second technology demonstrator (TD-2) of India's Light Combat Helicopter (LCH) took to the skies for the first time on June 28 in Bangalore.
"On June 28, the pilots did some very limited manoeuvres, though not much was experimented. The maiden flight was limited to low-speed testing. They (pilots) will now take the platform and fly over the runway to check the endurance and eventually will expand the full envelope. The designers, engineers and pilots are all delighted by this significant development," the official said.
"The pilots (Unni Pillai & Hari Nair) have given some observations and we are working on the same. These are development flights and we will address all the teething problems that arise," the official added
Meanwhile, an insider said that LCH TD-2 boasts of lots of new features as compared to TD-1. "Lots of new systems are onboard. The platform is lighter and we have modified the gearbox. Even the tail-rotor control system is different. The doors for the pilots have been modified for better structural clearance. The cockpit remains the same and we are constantly modifying the chopper based on the inputs from the pilots," she said.
She also added that the TD-1 has completed 70 hours of flying so far and the TD-3 will be very closer to the production version, incorporating some more changes. "Any new project is a huge challenge for us. With so much stigma attached to the Helicopter Division in the past, we are happy that LCH is gifting us some inspiring moments now. This is years of hard work and we are all happy that finally things are moving," she said.
When asked why HAL chose to be silent on the first flight of LCH TD-2, an insider said: "We are used to it now." HAL's chopper complex in-charge P.S. Rajan was not available for any comment.
The LCH TD-2 was the main draw at Aero India 2011 wrapped in digital camouflage paint -- a technology mastered by India recently. Incidentally, LCH will be the first Indian Air Force asset to don this new paint scheme.
Three cheers to all engineers, designers, test pilots and youngsters associated with LCH programme! Good job by teams lead by Srinath, Sampath and Unni!
Tarmak007 -- A bold blog on Indian defence: LCH TD-2 makes a silent maiden flight; platform incorporates lots of new features

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
@KB Its the same LCH, they must have repainted the tail for Aero Indian 2011.

plugwater

I am disappointed, I thought TD-2 will have some design changes from TD-1 with TD-3 will be close to production variant.

The model in the left side must be the the production variant, so i guess still HAL has lot of work left to achieve to make a variant shown in this picture.

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
I am disappointed, I thought TD-2 will have some design changes from TD-1 with TD-3 will be close to production variant.

The model in the left side must be the the production variant, so i guess still HAL has lot of work left to achieve to make a variant shown in this picture.
First of all the Glass Canopy is huge and does not have a roll cage partion in between pilots like an race car, which reduces safety of the structure and pilot safety in case of a crash!

Since the Cockpit area reflects most of the radar signature such an huge cockpit will only increase its RC visibility.

However since this is our first attempt at anything, as the models progress like the apache in a span of 20 years there will be more models and corrections. Cant expect everything to be done in the first shot.

plugwater

First of all the Glass Canopy is huge and does not have a roll cage partion in between pilots like an race car, which reduces safety of the structure and pilot safety in case of a crash!

Since the Cockpit area reflects most of the radar signature such an huge cockpit will only increase its RC visibility.

However since this is our first attempt at anything, as the models progress like the apache in a span of 20 years there will be more models and corrections. Cant expect everything to be done in the first shot.
It helps only when it crashes, Too much glass in TD-1 and 2 IMO.

Well, I don have any problem with TD-1, but they developed TD-2 without any changes externally. I hoped there will be some changes, now can expect only in TD-3.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
if LCH is a successes I expect an IAF order for
40-60 choppers to replace Israeli cobra gun ships
Gladly. LCH is a combat variant of an already successful Dhruv; So no issues in its testing at all. The main client right now is the Indian Army ordering more than 110 of them. Second is the air force. You're welcome to induct as many as you like. Perhaps some modifications like AH-64's top rotor radar could further add teeth especially from Elbit.

JAISWAL

sorry for violeting copy write issue but I cant control my self for not posting these images.
A blend of stealth , agility and firepower

Photos of the LCH TD2 in air

image courtsy to http://tarmak007.blogspot.com/

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles