HAL Prachand - Light Combat Helicopter (LCH)

Chinmoy

Country flag
Not sure if the new seeker helps in that regard, but with earlier seeker (low resolution) it wasn't LOBL at 8kms - and hence the data-link & LOAL.
Now in 2015 I don't think we had a advanced seeker for HELINA. If I had a quote a report of that time...

Officials said the trials were conducted for a range of seven kilometres this time.
http://www.defense-aerospace.com/cgi-bin/client/modele.pl?shop=dae&modele=release&prod=165254&cat=3

Point to note is that on the first day of the recent Helina trials, they said it was tested to 'full range' even though it was only tested for 5kms! Apparently they were talking about the seeker range. The 8kms range test was probably done few days after.
Interestingly the report as per which the test was for 5 km range had cited and quoted 'Times Of India'. But the original report by Times of India doesn't mention any thing like this.

In a statement, an army official was quoted by The Times of India as saying: “This is path-breaking. Today, were able to hit the target which was 5km away.
https://www.army-technology.com/new...hts-tests-helicopter-launched-helina-missile/

Now coming to Times of India report.

"The weapon system has been tested for its full range. The Helina weapon system released smoothly from the launch platform has tracked the target all through its course and hit them with high precision," the ministry said.
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com...cessfully-test-fired/articleshow/65466404.cms

So yes.... things are not clear as per range, but going by previous tests, we could safely say that the LOBL range of HELINA is 7 to 8 kms.

Advaidhya Tiwari

So yes.... things are not clear as per range, but going by previous tests, we could safely say that the LOBL range of HELINA is 7 to 8 kms.
Doesn't the range also depend on altitude of the helicopter while firing? Maybe that is the factor causing uncertainty. The seeker has certain range and that limits the maximum range. But the distance traveled can be increased by increasing height of launch. Even LGB and PGM can travel for 30-100km when dropped from height without any propulsion

Chinmoy

Country flag
Doesn't the range also depend on altitude of the helicopter while firing? Maybe that is the factor causing uncertainty. The seeker has certain range and that limits the maximum range. But the distance traveled can be increased by increasing height of launch. Even LGB and PGM can travel for 30-100km when dropped from height without any propulsion
Its not about distance traveled in LOBL. Its about acquiring the target by the missile before launch. It depends on the seeker at what range it could lock on the target. Being a Fire and Forget system, you would have to be positive about missile locking on the target before launching it.

abingdonboy

Country flag
Anyone know the status of production? IOC was given almost a year ago, LSP production commenced but still no LCH LSP have been delivered?

vishnugupt

Country flag
Anyone know the status of production? IOC was given almost a year ago, LSP production commenced but still no LCH LSP have been delivered?
its all lies because nobody knows the real status of LCH's IOC and FOC even Raju himself. it happens when a screwdrivers try to build a plane/Heli. I wonder when people say HAL is in charge of FOC of Tejas which has been struggling to get spin test cleared for trainers. btw don't want to pinch hearts here by asking about SPs

abingdonboy

Country flag
its all lies because nobody knows the real status of LCH's IOC and FOC even Raju himself. it happens when a screwdrivers try to build a plane/Heli. I wonder when people say HAL is in charge of FOC of Tejas which has been struggling to get spin test cleared for trainers. btw don't want to pinch hearts here by asking about SPs
Utter crap. HAL has a long and well respected history with helo design and manufacture.

Take your unwarranted hatred somewhere else

Enquirer

Utter crap. HAL has a long and well respected history with helo design and manufacture.

@vishnugupt

HAL only did the design of LCH airframe & power; the weaponization of LCH is the responsibility of DRDO - which for some reason is taking its own sweet time!!!
I don't think I've seen an LCH with RWR/MAWS fitted as yet!

vishnugupt

Country flag

Then where is Production variant LCH ?? What is stoping HAL? IOC is there, 15 Limited series has been ordered. what else ??
my unwarranted Utter hateful Crap and HAL is having respected history in design?? Bhaiya kaha ji rahe ho Aap??

patriots

Defense lover
Country flag
Production helicopters will be equipped with a day/night targeting systems for the crew, including a helmet-pointed sight and electro-optical pod consisting of CCD camera/FLIR/Laser Range Finder (LRF)/Laser Designator (LD). The LCH is also fitted with a self-protection suite consisting of a Radar/Laser Missile warning systems and countermeasures dispensing system.
http://www.aircosmosinternational.com/india-set-to-order-second-batch-of-lch-helos-105353

that's taking time...may be

also helina test is going on ...may be army and air force wants lch with all its weapon package. ..may be thatas the reason. ....or alredy lsp s are produced its not in news ......

Jackd

They also said the production variant LCH will have a radar and they are working on it. So, unless the radar is developed, we will see no progress on this front.

vishnugupt

Country flag
They also said the production variant LCH will have a radar and they are working on it. So, unless the radar is developed, we will see no progress on this front.
If, whatever you are saying, is true then only God knows when LCH will see the date of completion?...
Development is a gradual process where you have to develop a basic machine then start inducting it and keep on perfecting it in order to make it technical relevant with time...

Pulkit

Satyameva Jayate "Truth Alone Triumphs"
Country flag
Hye Guys been away from forum for some time now.
Can anyone please update me incase any progress has been mode in the last few months?

I am asking only after reading last two to three pages of comments...

cannonfodder

Country flag
I want to see LCH and helina combo operational soon too. We are testing it from long time don't know when we will see it FOC and delivered to forces.

vishnugupt

Country flag
If, whatever you are saying, is true then only God knows when LCH will see the date of completion?...
Development is a gradual process where you have to develop a basic machine then start inducting it and keep on perfecting it in order to make it technical relevant with time...
IAF and IA owe thousands of crores to HAL they even overproduced ALH which are getting rusted in HAL's back yard. So first let them spend kick back money got from Apache deal then they will think about LCH.

Chinmoy

Country flag
I want to see LCH and helina combo operational soon too. We are testing it from long time don't know when we will see it FOC and delivered to forces.
First LCH would have to move from RFP status. Its still stuck in RFP.

Pulkit

Country flag
IAF and IA owe thousands of crores to HAL they even overproduced ALH which are getting rusted in HAL's back yard. So first let them spend kick back money got from Apache deal then they will think about LCH.
Can you quote any source for this?
I always believed and still so that HAL is not able to meet the IA and IAF requirements in terms of numbers.

If you can quote or produce the source i will have to think it otherwise.

abingdonboy

Country flag
This is utterly true but they aren’t rusting! They are in protected purpose built storage facilities under close monitoring. Until they are handed over to the armed forces they are HAL’s property and thus their responsibility- the armed forces won’t accept the birds unless they are in the very best condition so HAL does a very good job of keeping them fit.
Can you quote any source for this?
I always believed and still so that HAL is not able to meet the IA and IAF requirements in terms of numbers.

If you can quote or produce the source i will have to think it otherwise.
he’s correct, it was reported a few months ago. Quite a huge backlog of ALHs for the armed forces in storage with HAL right now as the armed forces have scaled up fheir ability to absorb such machines in such quantities yet.

Pulkit

Country flag
This is utterly true but they aren’t rusting! They are in protected purpose built storage facilities under close monitoring. Until they are handed over to the armed forces they are HAL’s property and thus their responsibility- the armed forces won’t accept the birds unless they are in the very best condition so HAL does a very good job of keeping them fit.

he’s correct, it was reported a few months ago. Quite a huge backlog of ALHs for the armed forces in storage with HAL right now as the armed forces have scaled up fheir ability to absorb such machines in such quantities yet.
Oh okay ... Can you share the source of that?
I know about the raw material being stored in advance but i am sure they produce as ordered and not in advance.
If the defense forces are not taking deliveries after ordering that is one thing i cannot believe in.

I had a discussion with someone 1.5 year back and he said that the HAL is not able to meet the production as expected by defense forces and its taking too long.

Please share the source will highly appreciate that.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles