Future Infantry Combat Vehicle (FICV)

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
OFB made FICV prototype based on BMP-2. It's still unclear whether this is the Abhay Mark 2, or if that belongs to DRDO... But as of now this is the only one which isn't hot air.

EP_pCDfUcAEPgNO.jpeg
Screenshot_20200205_080032.jpg
Screenshot_20200205_080512.jpg
Screenshot_20200205_082222_com.android.chrome.jpg

My own edits to add much needed sideskirt & make it look less BMP-2y
Screenshot_20200205_080252.jpg
1580893553200_Screenshot_20200205_080252 - Copy.jpg

Last edited:

uoftotaku

Country flag
If this is the best they could come up with after so many years of R&D then the situation of brain drain is much worse than suspected. What a farce it would be if they managed to successfully keep out pvt players based on this recycled trash design

Deathstar

Country flag
If this is the best they could come up with after so many years of R&D then the situation of brain drain is much worse than suspected. What a farce it would be if they managed to successfully keep out pvt players based on this recycled trash design
They have 200 years of experience and they come up with this crap

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
Copy of DRDO thread post:

Basically all OFB-made IFVs.

Ok, that's enough wailing!

Let's have a look (It's ok, the thing slowly gets easier on eye).

Looks like they tried to go the BMP-3 way. It's too different from BMP-2, I don't think the existing ones can be modified to this. Not longer, but fattened... both hull & turret.

Should have considerable weight increase over original platform. Top speed still 80km/hr, so maybe a new engine, which could be why they expanded the front.

7 wheels, but hard to tell but front could have added composite armour, the turret too.

Video says this has STANAG-4 (.50) on sides, didn't mention frontal protection. BMP-2 has that on front & STANAG-2 (7.62×39) on sides.
FICV should have STANAG-6 (30mm) on front & top though. Also capability to take add-on slat & sideskirts.

The fuel tank cum rear doors for replaced by a single ramp-door.

Video mentions it firing APFSDS, HE, HE(incendiary), HE Frag & proximity airburst. Automatic grenade-launcher too, but I couldn't find it. If someone can, do point it out.

south block

up your a**
Country flag
Pvt sector tech is all foreign

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
Tata one will atleast have Indian drive train & chasis (elbit turret like WhAP probably, no finalised prototype yet).

nongaddarliberal

Country flag

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
"first look" ? after more than 12 hours of appearing on DFI first :confused1:

Anyways

View attachment 42640

Interior of driver station of L&T FICV
Which one, the FICV demo L&T showed to Modi or AS-21 Redback they're offering now?... What happened to that one anyway?
That's just a BMP with extra stuff added to it.
Indeed, clearly based more on BMP-2 than original Abhay... still not sure if this is the Abhay Mark 2.

I jotted down the extra stuff I could notice:
  • 2 level increase in STANAG protection on sides, 1 level below. Unknown frontally, but could be 3-4 levels if there's composite in that extended front.
  • Automatic grenade launcher.
  • Ramp exit behind.
  • Possibly new engine, much higher max speed of 80km but some weight increase expected.
  • Additional wheel, any change in ground pressure not known yet.
  • New suspension.
  • New internal interface.
  • New rounds? (I admit I don't know what shit BMP-2 can fire)
Unfortunate absence (can't say if any of these will be added in later prototypes):
  • Unmanned turret
  • Appliqué armor (side-skirt, slat etc.)
  • Modular ERA
  • APS

Last edited:

porky_kicker

Country flag
Which one, the FICV demo L&T showed to Modi or AS-21 Redback they're offering now?... What happened to that one anyway?
Indeed, clearly based more on BMP-2 than original Abhay... still not sure if this is the Abhay Mark 2.

I jotted down the extra stuff I could notice:
  • 2 level increase in STANAG protection on sides, 1 level below. Unknown frontally, but could be 3-4 levels if there's composite in that extended front.
  • Automatic grenade launcher.
  • Ramp exit behind.
  • Possibly new engine, as speed is same but some weight increase expected.
  • Additional wheel, any change in ground pressure not known yet.
  • New suspension.
  • New internal interface.
Unfortunate absence (I don't know if any of these will be added in later prototypes):
  • Unmanned turret
  • Side-skirts
  • Modular ERA
  • APS
Some posters on twitter are spreading wrong information just to garner views

L&T FICV design is local design with limited consultancy from a foreign company.

L&T FICV has no connection with AS-21. South Koreans are that stupid , sharing their latest tech ?

The chassis of L&T FICV was revealed more than a year ago during PM visit to their facility. The pic i posted yesterday is the frontal view of the same with a new turret.

And compare both L&T FICV and AS-21 do they look same except for generic features like the head lamps and contours .

Many IFVs across the world share limited design features

Don't fall for useless talk on twitter

Last edited:

porky_kicker

Country flag
Also biggest irony, the twitter guys forget to note as usual is

fic.jpg

The above L&T FICV which i posted yesterday was first revealed more than a year ago , even before South Korean revealed their AS-21 redback.

DxQrgKBU0AMHZp0.jpg

Ad.jpg

Same vehicle , same turret with dual launcher on the poster which i posted yesterday.

So how is L&T FICV based on South Korean AS-21 ?

DFI and other forums is the best source of reasonably correct info , not twitter .

Now wait for this info to appear on twitter

Last edited:

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
Also biggest irony, the twitter guys forget to note as usual is

View attachment 42641

The above L&T FICV which i posted yesterday was first revealed more than a year ago , even before South Korean revealed their AS-21 redback.

So how is L&T FICV based on South Korean AS-21 ?

View attachment 42642

View attachment 42643

DFI and other forums is the best source of reasonable correct info , not twitter .

Now wait for this info to appear on twitter lol :)
Yes, thanks...................

porky_kicker

Country flag
Also it seems L&T is developing two different tracked vehicles ( i am not sure but i suspect it )

Hittrom

What kind of mobility is better tracked or wheeled as the tata kestrel was wheeled and the L&T is a tracked one

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles